Any one used thesofttopshop?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Any one used thesofttopshop?

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

I think I might get my soft top replaced this summer ready for the coming winter :roll: as overall its starting to look a tad worn although it would probably last a fair few years yet. I also quite fancy a colour change to burgundy.

Has anyone used this company and recommend them?

http://www.thesofttopshop.com/id72.html

Many thanks,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
MRTOWERHILL

blank

Re: Any one used thesofttopshop?

Post by MRTOWERHILL »

Hi there!
Yeah I got my hood replaced last year from him. Great bloke. Comes right to your door and it's done in a matter of hours. You could tell that he's a perfectionist, didn't stop once he started. Looks very sleek and knocked about 10 years off my Zed..No leakes over the winter considering all the rain we had. 5* from me. Fully recommend SoftTopShop
Tower :-D
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

MRTOWERHILL wrote:Hi there!
Yeah I got my hood replaced last year from him. Great bloke. Comes right to your door and it's done in a matter of hours. You could tell that he's a perfectionist, didn't stop once he started. Looks very sleek and knocked about 10 years off my Zed..No leakes over the winter considering all the rain we had. 5* from me. Fully recommend SoftTopShop
Tower :-D
Brill thanks ever so much just what I wanted to hear. Out of interest is your Zed pre or post facelift? I understand there were differences between pre and post facelift hoods, mine is a facelift and has the pockets each side of the hood and is double layered. I wandered if the replacement factors this in or they just use one generic hood for all Z3s.

Tim.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Had nothing to do with that firm but I do think the burgundy against silver looks mint! Brilliant choice In my humble option. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I am thinking of replacing my roof as it's wearing it parts so will keep an eye on this thread.

Does the new hood have a roof lining or is it just single skin?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks Guys,

Fred I will contact the soft top shop and ask as I would like to know if their hoods include the seam pockets and if double layered otherwise its going to be a retrograde step if they don't.

I have been recommended this company who do hoods with and without the pockets however I dont think their site is correct as my facelift has the pockets each side, their site seems to contradict this

http://www.car-hood.co.uk/z3-h255

Tim.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

TitanTim wrote:Thanks Guys,

Fred I will contact the soft top shop and ask as I would like to know if their hoods include the seam pockets and if double layered otherwise its going to be a retrograde step if they don't.

I have been recommended this company who do hoods with and without the pockets however I dont think their site is correct as my facelift has the pockets each side, their site seems to contradict this

Tim.
It isn't a zip in window either though I don't think most after market hoods are.
Out of interest mines a pre-facelift and has the relief pockets though I don't know what advantage they are.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

DC wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Thanks Guys,

Tim.
It isn't a zip in window either though I don't think most after market hoods are.
Out of interest mines a pre-facelift and has the relief pockets though I don't know what advantage they are.
I think youre right there and if the rear screen was damaged or vandalised its a new hood :?

I think the pockets are there for ventilation which makes sense I guess and to improve folding of the hood.

Tim.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The facelift roof lining can be retrofitted to cars that don't have it, so it is not part of the roof. It is likely to be a fiddly job to remove and reinstall, so you want to make sure that your price includes doing this.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Robert T wrote:The facelift roof lining can be retrofitted to cars that don't have it, so it is not part of the roof. It is likely to be a fiddly job to remove and reinstall, so you want to make sure that your price includes doing this.

Cheers R.
Thanks Robert, I've e-mailed the company to ask if they're hoods include the pockets and whether lined. Their price of £635 is double most of the other hood companies but that includes fitting and travelling to the customer where with the others it doesn't.

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Zed is all booked up to be done on 26th July, have gone for a Burgundy mohair hood fully lined, looking forward to the change of colour :)

Will post some pics when done :)

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

freds dad wrote:I am thinking of replacing my roof as it's wearing it parts so will keep an eye on this thread.

Does the new hood have a roof lining or is it just single skin?
Hi Fred,

All the hoods suplied by softopshop for the Z3 are mohair with side pockets but are unlined so I've gone for one with a lining which pushes the cost up a bit, however in my honest opinion its definitely worth the extra to go with the lining as you don't replace the hood often and as I do the Zed is used throughout the winter months. It would be backwood step anyways going for an unlined hood, I had planned on getting a hardtop and keeping in on permanently but just seemed crazy to me as I just don't have any storage space for one and a shame to lose having the top down now I'm going to be losing the Z4 soon.

Regards,

Tim.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

You roof already has a lining as it's a facelift.
They only change the outer mohair layer but keep the existing lining, are you confusing this with a pre-facelift which has no lining, that they would add one too?
or are you just confusing me? :D
I had my roof changed but they kept the existing lining in place
No need to pay for one unless you didn't have one to begin with, but yours does.????/

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

gookah wrote:You roof already has a lining as it's a facelift.
They only change the outer mohair layer but keep the existing lining, are you confusing this with a pre-facelift which has no lining, that they would add one too?
or are you just confusing me? :D
I had my roof changed but they kept the existing lining in place
No need to pay for one unless you didn't have one to begin with, but yours does.????/
Yepp you're right but I wanted a new lining at the same time, I wanted to keep the old hood intact :wink:

TIm.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Hi folks

It's getting time to get the hardtop off and I'm planning to replace the tired old hood with a nice new blue one.

I'm considering using thesofttopshop and I'd appreciate any comments from folks who used them a while ago.

How is the hood now you've lived with it for a while?

Would you still recommend them?

Thanks
Mark
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Tufarlian wrote:Hi folks

It's getting time to get the hardtop off and I'm planning to replace the tired old hood with a nice new blue one.

I'm considering using thesofttopshop and I'd appreciate any comments from folks who used them a while ago.

How is the hood now you've lived with it for a while?

Would you still recommend them?

Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark,

Yes I used them last July to have a new hood fitted, my thread here of the new hood http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ed#p383581

The fitter Paul was a really nice guy and took his time, I think it took him around 5 hours to fit the hood on a boiling hot day, he travelled to my home in Stafford from Manchester which was convienient. He also adjusted the hood frame as I mentioned the orginal was leaking and he lubricated the frame joints. The new hood has been completely leak free over winter and I've been really pleased with it. It wasn't cheap but as good as the original. The only weird thing is the colour seems to show up limescale as white patches after I've washed the car more than the black hood I had previously, its no real problem as it brushes off.

Tim.
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hello Tim, I see you ended your listing early as I was following it. What sort of figure were you hoping for?

Regards BB
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Thanks for that Tim. Just the sort of feedback I was looking for.

I'd already read your thread and was impressed by the photos and the service you described.

A vote for thesoftopshop :-)

Mark
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Tufarlian wrote:Thanks for that Tim. Just the sort of feedback I was looking for.

I'd already read your thread and was impressed by the photos and the service you described.

A vote for thesoftopshop :-)

Mark
No probs Mark, what I liked about Paul was his honesty as I wanted to replace the liner as well as the hood, however when he looked at the liner he said it was perfect and didn't need replacing which in would have been another £400, he could have just gone with what I wanted and taken the money.

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

bentley-boy wrote:Hello Tim, I see you ended your listing early as I was following it. What sort of figure were you hoping for?

Regards BB
Yeah I ended the Auction as I couldn't go through with it so have decided to keep the Zed. I'd set the reserve at 3800 which would have been a steal at that. Its very hard to put a price on my Zed due to the condition and low miles as prices are getting rock bottom so only worth what someone is willing to pay. There were 119 watchers though so who knows what the bidding would have got to. I know if it had sold I would have regretted it immensly.

Tim.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

TitanTim wrote:
bentley-boy wrote: There were 119 watchers though so who knows what the bidding would have got to. I know if it had sold I would have regretted it immensly.

Tim.
Probably the majority of those "watchers" were people on here and t'other place.

It's incredible to think that such a low reserve would have got such a stunning car. The world has gone mad.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

TR4man wrote:
TitanTim wrote:
bentley-boy wrote: There were 119 watchers though so who knows what the bidding would have got to. I know if it had sold I would have regretted it immensly.

Tim.
Probably the majority of those "watchers" were people on here and t'other place.

It's incredible to think that such a low reserve would have got such a stunning car. The world has gone mad.
Private sale prices seem to be pretty low 3 to 4K for lowish mileage Zeds however garages seem to be asking anything from 5 to 7K so there is quite a gap. Like you mentioned mine would have been a steal which I would have felt pretty bad letting it go for so little.

Tim.
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Well I think you went through that anguish when you were looking at trading it in for the Z4. To try and replace it with a similar condition car would be nigh on impossible and after well and truly stamping your identity on the car it would be hard to let go. The reason I was interested was because I bought a 2002 1,9 for only a few pounds over £1,000. Needed a little work but I have a reasonably nice example that owes me very little and gives me great pleasure. I thought it would be nice to find a seriously nice one as a 'keeper' so when I saw yours up for grabs I thought "that's the one". True it would be nice to have a six cylinder 3 litre but I actually like the simplicity and fuel consumption of the 8valve four pot, has a good turn of speed still for me and being lighter on the front end probably handles better. Was a six cylinder going to be your route? I was surprised to see yours being listed but I think you did the correct thing, suspect you would have regretted it greatly had you gone through with it.

BB
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

bentley-boy wrote:Well I think you went through that anguish when you were looking at trading it in for the Z4. To try and replace it with a similar condition car would be nigh on impossible and after well and truly stamping your identity on the car it would be hard to let go. The reason I was interested was because I bought a 2002 1,9 for only a few pounds over £1,000. Needed a little work but I have a reasonably nice example that owes me very little and gives me great pleasure. I thought it would be nice to find a seriously nice one as a 'keeper' so when I saw yours up for grabs I thought "that's the one". True it would be nice to have a six cylinder 3 litre but I actually like the simplicity and fuel consumption of the 8valve four pot, has a good turn of speed still for me and being lighter on the front end probably handles better. Was a six cylinder going to be your route? I was surprised to see yours being listed but I think you did the correct thing, suspect you would have regretted it greatly had you gone through with it.

BB
Thanks BB, the irony is the condition doesn't reflect the value so in many ways its hardly worth selling anyways unless its down to running costs. Most people want something for nothing so the many offers I received on ebay were around the £2200 which was a joke, so down to what someone is prepared to pay which looks to be not alot. End of the day these cars are getting on now and will get to a point in a few years of falling into banger status. Will be interesting to see how prices fare in another 10 years when theres less about. I was originally after a 2.2 probably the best engine of the lot but for some reason at the time I just couldn't find a decent example with a low mileage so ended up with the one I have now. I find the 1.9 8V a great little engine, its not fast but perky enough and mines always been silky smooth so never been disapointed it lacks 2 cyl. Also glad mine doesn't have air con or electric hood which keeps the car simple and less to go wrong as it ages :)

Tim.
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Vince70 »

Hi Tim
I saw your roadster the other week on eBay and thought it must be a £7000 example as it really does look like the best available and with that mileage it must be a one off.

If I knew it was only going that cheap at around the 4 to 5 thousand mark I would of gone for your car but I ended up getting a nice little straight low mileage z3 in the end which was at the bottom end of the market as it was only a £1300 example on a second chance offer on eBay after a no show from the original eBay buyer.

With all that hard work you've put Into your car your better off keeping it rather than giving it away and if you sell it you will only regret it as you won't be able to find another that good again.

At the moment mines stripped down in my garage having a few non essential bits and pieces done to it in my spare time ready for when the summer comes :)
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1164347647
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Just been out for my first top down drive of the year, having removed the hard top recently. However my back plastic window has now split. As I'm planning on selling my car later this year I only want to replace the window rather than the whole top (which otherwise is in pretty good condition anyway). While I gather it does zip in I believe it is a really fiddly job, so I'd rather pay someone to supply and fit one. Cann anyone recommend a trimmer in the Berkshire area who could do this and any idea of the price?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Vince70 wrote:Hi Tim
I saw your roadster the other week on eBay and thought it must be a £7000 example as it really does look like the best available and with that mileage it must be a one off.

If I knew it was only going that cheap at around the 4 to 5 thousand mark I would of gone for your car but I ended up getting a nice little straight low mileage z3 in the end which was at the bottom end of the market as it was only a £1300 example on a second chance offer on eBay after a no show from the original eBay buyer.

With all that hard work you've put Into your car your better off keeping it rather than giving it away and if you sell it you will only regret it as you won't be able to find another that good again.

At the moment mines stripped down in my garage having a few non essential bits and pieces done to it in my spare time ready for when the summer comes :)
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1164347647
Thanks Vince, I pulled the Zed off ebay in the end and decided to keep it. As it got closer to the end of auction I actually got quite depressed with the prospect of it going so couldn't go through with selling. I had no real reason to sell but sometimes think its completely pointless owning 2 cars when you only need one but then the pleasure the Zed brings overcam the sensible side :)

Tim.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

you cant have too many cars :roll: we never even thought about selling the z3 when I decided I wanted a z4 me and mrs beerbelly have 4 cars between us . and really nice z3,s are all but impossible to replace