Have I bought the part I need for a rocking drivers seat ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Have I bought the part I need for a rocking drivers seat ?

Post by Vince70 »

I noticed when driving my new Z3 home the other week that the seat had a bit of movement in it when Using the brake or pulling away from the traffic lights etc.

And being that I want the car 110% before using it I (not using it till May 1st) thought I may as well put this on the to do list with the other little odds and sods to get this car back up to new again.

So does anyone know a good how to guide and my German isn't that good so I wondered if this part was ok as I've already gone and ordered it.
Here's the part.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1482403036

Bloody eBay and it's one touch option seems to make buying to easy lol.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Re: Have I bought the part I need for a rocking drivers seat

Post by Inferno »

seems correct to me, i bought some blue bushings from USA few years back for the same problem, they seem the same as these.
eahornel1

M roadster S50

Post by eahornel1 »

there used to be a member on here who made them for us for a couple of pounds, they were good too. they are the right ones you have and fairly easy to fit once the seat is out...
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Make sure when removing the threaded bars from the housing you count the turns as you remove them, If not re fitting will be a pain in the rear.
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

eahornel1 wrote:there used to be a member on here who made them for us for a couple of pounds, they were good too. they are the right ones you have and fairly easy to fit once the seat is out...
He, Aceman still makes them - just drop him a pm.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Vince70 »

Thanks for the advice I've got to admit it's not a job I'm looking forward to doing but I'm going to wait till I have a spare day for this one as I've decided I'm going to do the repair with the seat belt still attached.
That way I can take the seat out and lay it next to the car on a thick blanket to minimise any damage and hopefully get it right first time.
Well one bonus I guess is at least i can get the Hoover under the seat while I'm at it and I might even find a couple of pound coins lol.

I should of ordered a set off Aceman but didn't think of asking here first and I just bought them on eBay which was silly of me I know But I guess hopefully the parts should be on my doorstep when I'm back home next for a few days.
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Hi, Vince70,

If you go to the knowledge base in this forum click on the Z3 knowledge base (looks like an owners manual) and at the very bottom section there is a guide made by members on here on how to take out and replace the seats within those sections you will find info regarding seat bushes you will also find amongst other stuff tips,
tools required, etc etc.................tip: you need to be in possession of or access to a good Torx set.

Once you start you then practice your swearing!!!!!

Good luck
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Have a look on you tube there is a guy on there has a video in three parts showing how to do the job. I watched it a few times before doing mine.
Search for bmw Z3 seat fix
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Also when the seat is out do not put the ignition on or start the car otherwise the seat belt light will need reseting.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......... 1st thing to do is disconnect the battery !!! - before you disconnect any seat wiring, and keep it disconnected until you have re-installed the seat and re-connected the wiring !!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Thanks Bill :D

Yep I am still here guys and still making/selling the bushes so if anyone is interested just drop me a PM. There is also a link in my signiture to the page on here with details and links to the videos mentioned above.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The bushes in the ebay listing are described as being rubber (Gummi in German), as per the original items fitted to the seats when new. The bushes supplied by Aceman are made of nylon. Whilst the rubber bushes will provide a cushioning effect you don't get from the nylon ones, they will eventually go the way of the originals and need replacing again. The nylon bushes will probably outlast the seats!

Disconnecting the battery is a bit of a fiddle, but you only need to do it once you have all four seat bolts removed (you will need power to move the seat to access the bolts). If you have a radio with a code, make sure you have the code for it before you start!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Well spotted Rob I did think to myself they looked a bit strange on the pictures but my German is non existent so didn't spot the reference to them being rubber.

I can confirm mine are made of nylon material as Rob points out and I haven't had a single set fail yet over the years I have been doing them so yes they should last the life of the car which who knows with such a classic car as the zed possibly past my time at least. :wink:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Southernboy wrote:......... 1st thing to do is disconnect the battery !!! - before you disconnect any seat wiring, and keep it disconnected until you have re-installed the seat and re-connected the wiring !!
After undoing the bolts though as you will need to move the seats back and forth :wink:

The job itself is simple, seriously don't fret about it at all, just use the knowledge base (and YouTube if needed) and you'll do it in no time.... I reckon on a scale of 1-10 it's probably a 2
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Vince70 »

I was thinking that rather than counting the turns when it comes to removing the rubbers from the spindles, I will just put a mark on them with a bit of tipex or paint as I will only forget the amount of turns otherwise as I have a memory like a sieve lol
billy1066

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by billy1066 »

I did mine a couple of weeks ago, so hope the following helps.
Undo the front seat runner bolts , move seat fully forward and undo rear nuts. I then undid the seat belt anchor bolt and secured that and, with a friends help, disconnected the electrics then removed the seat.
After undoing the torx bolts I pulled out the threaded spindle with the cradle and bushes, which had completely disintegrated! I bought the replacements from Aceman (thanks), which need rubbing down to get them to the right thickness. TIP- I rubbed them down on wet and dry after trying normal sandpaper, much quicker. Once the bushes and cradle were screwed back on the threaded spindle, its a case of slotting in the small connecting rod to the end of the spindle, feeding the whole lot down the seat runner and locating the spindle end through the locating hole and the connecting rod into the end of the seat motor assembly. This all may sound complicated, but will become clear when you do it. I was confused with talk of measuring distances, but it became obvious that, if you're careful when reassembling the cradle all the torx bolt holes line up, the spindle end locates into a guide and the connecting rod locates into the motor assembly. It worked out to about 5 turns to get the cradle at the right position, but if you do too few, the end of the spindle won't fully slot into the guide hole on the runner as the cradle end gets in the way. You're looking to get the cradle in a position where it sits snugly up against the runner guide hole and all the torx bolt holes line up.
I didn't disconnect the battery, and found it easier with the seat upside down resting on my workmate, so the runners were parallel with the floor.
Take photos as you go, and if you need measurements, write them down and take a photo of them as well, then all your references will be in one place!
Its been a long time since enduring skimmed knuckles from car maintenance, so I considered getting someone to do it for me. I'm glad I didn't as it wasn't half as bad as I thought and the results make it all worth while. Taking your time, lots of tea, a mate to help manhandle the seat and music (not the car radio, put the keys in your pocket until all seat electrical connection s are back in situ) and watch the you tube tutorial plus read up on the knowledge base so you know what to expect will help tremendously.
Good luck.
billy1066

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by billy1066 »

Oh, and there was £3.67 profit lying on the floor from the cars previous owner - only on the drivers side, though!!
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Vince70 »

Thanks Billy that's a great write up and I'm going to have a go at my seat runners (only drivers side) in two weeks time when I'm next off work and your write up will really help a treat.

I gave the car a good clean today as its the first time I've had a good look at it properly and I reinstalled the door mirrors plus I've put the door card back on and it's really looking nice.

The only bit of rust I could find was around the Jacking pad as its come off so rust was just forming around the hole so I got the wire wheel and drill out and it's got rid of it all then coated it with some rust killer just to be on the safe side and will give it a coat of Hammerite then a coat of old engine oil just for good measure.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Here's some more useful threads with pictures:-

Personally I found the pictures in this one helpful when I did mine a few years back
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Another one
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... eat+bushes