UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

MOT failure

Post by Pierrick »

Hi all, MOT ... again!
Avery year bring new surprises!

So, here is what is on the menu:
1: Nearside front (inner/lower) suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint
2: Offside front lower suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint
3: Nearside rear brake hose excessively chafed
4: Nearside brake cable insecure
5: Nearside brake cable has wires broken and is significantly weakened

Item 1:
I could replace the whole suspension arm but it cost quite a bit of money (80£ for an OCAP at Eurocarparts) BTW, is OCAP ok or bad quality?
If I change only the ball joints, is it easy to do?? I have never done it before!
Any brand to recommend?

Item 2:
Same question.

Item 3:
I plan to change all the brake hoses. Shouldn't be q problem... I changed brake hoses before. Anything special I should know?
Any specific brand? As far as I know Pagid is good enough.

Item 4:
This shouldn't be a problem either. Just to be sure, I have to buy two cables right?
It is not one cable which separate in two...

Thanks for your help.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: MOT failure

Post by Pierrick »

Anybody? Specially concerning the ocap control arms?
If anyone knows a better quality at a good price?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

That particular brand is ECP's own in-house, budget brand. I have not used it but have seen criticism of some of their budget, in-house brands i.e. their shock absorbers. If you have a bad ball joint on each side, the chances are that the 2nd ball-joint on both sides is not far behind. If the control arms are the originals, then the round bushes are also likely to be in poor condition. Personally, I would recommend changing the whole control arm on both sides. I bought Meyle HD in 2012 and they are still going strong with no issues whatsoever.

If you are going down the DIY route it is easiest to buy the control arm with new bush attached - as fitting a new rubber bush to a control arm can be hard to do. Also, replacing a single ball joint requires the old control arm to be removed without damaging the dust cover on the ball joint being retained and also requires a work shop press to press-out the bad one and press-in the new one. If you replace the whole control arms, you are creating a simpler "bolt-off, bolt-on job" with the only possible difficulty being to split a stubborn, old ball joint.

Pagid are a good, premium brand - no problem with their brake parts - I've used their brake parts on various cars and always found them to be nice quality

I'm not sure about the cable components making up the Z3 handbrake mechanism as I haven't had to work on mine yet.

Without bushes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-Z3-FR ... 23431213ff
With bushes (the ones I bought)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-Z3-FR ... 2ebe616d5b
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Way to go Del!
I wouldn't even contemplate replacing a single ball joint on one of these arms.
Great price too for a pair.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Thanks for your advice.
I was about to buy only the ball joints and have them swapped by a mechanic but I just bought two new Meyle arms at a 100£ so easy swap.