Headlights polishing problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Headlights polishing problem

Post by Inferno »

My headlights started to peel off, they are not yellow or fading out or anything like that, they just peel off, i bought something like this for my black&decker -> http://toolshouse.gr/wp-content/uploads ... -120mm.jpg

and i also bought this-> http://arexons.it/en/products/car-washi ... ht-renewal

but it did NOTHING at all,it's like i never applied it, i called a professional shop, they want 40€ and they told me it's risky it could destroy?!?! the headlights? what can i do?

pic of my headlights:

Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Re: Headlights polishing problem

Post by Cabrioot »

Had the same problem.
Went to a body repairshop and the sand all the dents and scratches away and painted the glass. Perfect fore more than 1.5 year now.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi Inferno. Have you tried using G3 compound BUT it must be put on by hand and with a damp cloth.
I have experienced a similar issue with the headlight units on my 2005 Volvo V70. It has made an improvement in the short time that I was applying it.
The surface has a feel of having been shot-blasted with sugar !!!!
I will be going over it again come the warmer days. As yet,my 2000 Z3 has not been affected - but there again,they could have been new headlight units just before I bought the car nearly a year ago.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

My problem is that we I Polish it it looks great but then starts to go cloudy. Is it similar? Need to work out what protection to use
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

3M's Headlight restoration kit. Used predominantly for haze/cloud but the process should work just as well for your headlight condition. It turned my 18 yr old lights from ugly/nasty looking to brand new. Only £16 too.

The process uses wet and dry paper at different grades so it will level out and smooth over the peeled off ridges. Its brutal at the beginning but is whats required. Essentially 'cutting' your headlights.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I agree that the 3M kit is great. Worked brilliantly for me.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

thanks guys i will try that too, i am thinking, now that i bought that black&decker polishing sponge, to polish the car as well.

i checked the availability of 3m kit in Greece, costs around 35€, but it contains A LOT of stuff, so i guess chances must be much higher of fixing it, seems more professional
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Colgate toothpaste and elbow grease......... does a really neat job for a heap less than 3M. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:Colgate toothpaste and elbow grease......... does a really neat job for a heap less than 3M. :wink:
And anusol for keeping the exhaust clean! :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....Preparation H...??? :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

What the heck is the elbow grease? :roll:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That's the effort of your arm from the elbow... it's an old saying which means doing the work by hand vs doing it with a power tool... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Southernboy wrote:That's the effort of your arm from the elbow... it's an old saying which means doing the work by hand vs doing it with a power tool... :wink:
LOL, sorry i didn't know that old saying :D
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Inferno wrote:
Southernboy wrote:That's the effort of your arm from the elbow... it's an old saying which means doing the work by hand vs doing it with a power tool... :wink:
LOL, sorry i didn't know that old saying :D
kids...! :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It's all Greek to him... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

I see you have the projector headlights the same as me. What u need to do is sand the coating off with 1500 wet and dry paper then polish up once all the coating is removed I may be able to find some pics of mine.
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

I already have 2 sand papers 600 and 800 i sanded one small area of the headlight and it looked like scratched so i afraid to continue and i stopped, now from your pics i understabd that it is normal and i should continue, what did you used to polish them?

p.s. i googled "elbow grease" to understand whar you meant in the first posts and i came up with this:
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/5/7/4/3/ ... jpg?nc=256

:D
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Inferno wrote:I already have 2 sand papers 600 and 800 i sanded one small area of the headlight and it looked like scratched so i afraid to continue and i stopped,
You need something a lot finer than 600 and 800. I'd say some 1500 and 2500 wet-and-dry would be best, followed by polishing.
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

As said I used 1500 wet and dry however, if you've started with a 6 or an 800 you will probably have to work up the grades to get the scratches out. I polished up with 3M fine cutting compound, G3 would do it too. Also plenty of elbow grease :D
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Hmmmm i think i destroyed them... or they need a professional, or a better polishing cream, what do you think?

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You just need to use some finer paper to flat them off. If you use 1500 wet-and-dry you should sand it until the whole light is an even opaque with all the deep scratches gone. Then use some finer paper (2000 or 2500) to get it even smoother, then polish.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

I read the last moment a DIY guide and combined with your help guys, realized that i was using wrong sandpaper, i needed waterproof sand paper, so i bought earlier 1000 and 2000 wet sandpaper, i watered them and started again sanding and polishing, the result is not perfect BUT at least i saved them at the last moment (before the closing of the shops i mean)

Last edited by Inferno on Fri 10 Apr, 2015 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

Well the 3M kit is basically wet n dry and buffed with polish. You could put the kit together yourself for around half the price without the drill attachments and velcro discs - but then that would mean serious elbow grease/sweat - and maybe not as nice a finish. Looks like youve done a sterling job there though!

The 3m kit includes for anyone thats interested:

600, 800, 3000 wet and dry discs, velcro backing pad for drill, waffle polishing pad, compound polish, finishing polish, masking tape.

I've read that the 800 - 3000 is a little too far of a jump (although looked fine for me) so maybe 1500 as an additional grade too (like inferno used).