2.0 6cyl tuning options

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Blacknight

Not specified

2.0 6cyl tuning options

Post by Blacknight »

HI,

I'm considering a 2.0 6cyl mainly because of the condition rather than its the right engine.

What are the options to get the 150bhp up to beyond 170 and towards 200?

I see some engines benefit from a intake manifold swap and remap - does this apply to the 2.0?

What options are there for capacity increases using other stock bmw parts (crank / pistons / rods) or just complete block and head swaps?

Cheers.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: 2.0 6cyl tuning options

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If you want a car with more performance, just buy one with more performance. It'll cheaper and easier in the end.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The 2 litre engine is not easily made to produce more power, the inlet manifold being able to feed a 2.8 (just).

The only cheap increase would be maybe 7 bhp from a good remap, which will give maybe another 10 lb-ft in the mid range.

The only other avenues would be Shrick camshafts at about £1200 plus fitting, and a good cylinder head job - maybe another £1200.

Foregt the fantasy merchants who claim 10 bhp for a noisy air filter, and another 10 bhp for an even noisier exhaust - they live in a dream world!

Frankly, it is not worth the trouble and expense on a 2 litre. Spend the money on renovating and improving the handling, which will be more likely to be used regularly.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The car is controlled by the ECU - (Engine Control Unit). So basically all the ignition, timing, crankshaft and cam positions,fuel and air intake etc are pre-programmed. If you want to increase power, you will need to sort the mechanical aspects such as cam shafts, pistons and cylinder head. Bore size will help too. Next will be the re-mapping of the ECU to take into account the mechanical changes you have made.
This is a very expensive way to increase the power. The cylinder head alone will be a huge cost if larger valves and stronger valve springs are to be fitted plus having the head "gas flowed". Pistons don't come cheap and "special" pistons even less so.
Special camshafts with higher lifts are just that - special. The exhaust and cooling systems will need to be altered to accommodate the increased heat generated and waste gasses vented....you will possibly need a larger fuel pump to deliver more fuel and injectors to shove it into the cylinders.
As suggested, get a car with a larger capacity motor, or have a professional outfit fit a larger BMW motor complete with all the ancillary electronics and wiring looms required for the engine. In which event, be prepared to consider the suspension, drive train etc and braking abilities too.
You make the comment that the car you are considering is "desirable" for reasons not specified...I assume it's a low miler and / or in very good condition, in which case it will make sense to leave it be, or have a professional "tuning shop" do all the changes....at least you may get some sort of warranty on their work and parts.
Finally, by substantially increasing the power of the 2lt motor from 150 - 200hp, you are essentially increasing by 33%....... this comes at a cost of durability to the motor.... hence the reason race motors are re-built for every race or two.
If you search in the members' posts on fitting superchargers and turbochargers, you will get an idea of the items needing attention to achieve more power. Simply fitting an alternate intake manifold and a re-map may give you 5 - 10 hp at tops.
It might be interesting to you to have the car power output rated.... it certainly won't be 150HP.... probably closer to 130HP. Motors lose horses over time due to wear etc.... Once you have done that, you may want to simply look for a decent 3.0lt car.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

Thanks for the responses.

I knew that there were some options on the old E36 323 for relatively inexpensive increases but could not find anything on the 2.0.

I'd rather have a minter than the power as i have a 300+bhp car for that side of things but I was wondering if the 2.0 was even adequate for the car. I'm very picky on colours / condition / miles etc so I would the the correct looker rather than holding out for a 3.0.

Do the 2.2 or 2.5 swap in at all?

Thanks.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Nice engine, BMW even fitted it in the 5 series of the time which I've driven and it was fine. Talking purely BHP is misleading, Its the torque figures (torque curve) that contribute more to driveability. The 2.0 VAG diesel engine option fitted to the Audi TT and Skoda Octavia VRS was originally "only" 170 BHP. :) That BMW 2.0 engine (in a little Z3) will be fine in the 30-70 MPH slot on typical UK A roads and as said already, freshened-up suspension will improve things even further. :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Good "antique" 2000 review of the 2.0 Z3 at 2.11 onwards :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs9q6UHgja4
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Del wrote:Good "antique" 2000 review of the 2.0 Z3 at 2.11 onwards :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs9q6UHgja4
Reminds me of my old Z3. :)

NO point really in looking to upgrade performance of 2.0 engine. If you want more power buy a bigger engined example.

If you buy a 2.0 just enjoy it for what it is. If you still want to tweak it....tweak the handling maybe?
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Put a 2.8 motor in and sell the 2.0 one.
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

Rafolian wrote:Put a 2.8 motor in and sell the 2.0 one.
ok - this is sort of where I'm angling towards...

I have seen that certain combinations of engines seem to be interchangeable due to the fly-by- wire. is the 2.8 the best direct swap in this instance? is it literally just the engine or would there be gearbox / wiring / other ancillaries?

I presume then from the other replies that there are no straightforward other parts which can be retro- fitted to the 2.0? I understand that in its own right its a lovely engine.

Its not that I HAVE to have more power than the 2.0 but its very interesting to know IF there are other options and knowing that certain bmw engines were artificially strangled i was wondering if there were 'tricks' to get another 5 or 10 break.

What im looking for is something that can more easily driven harder within modern speed enforcement for a bit of summer weekend fun than my 310ps /440nm saab hence not necessarily looking for the 3.0.
Country Boy

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Country Boy »

The 2.0 is adequate for fun, although if you can find a 2.2 this is the better option.

As for the 2.8 and or the 3.0 - big is not always beautiful and if you need that much power by a Boxter.
After all the Z3 is a "Roadster" - a cruiser, not a "race car"!
All the "improvements" that people do to the 2.8 and 3.0 shows that the original car isn't up to the extra power.

Lets face it the Z3 is approaching "classic" status and any "improvements" will only devalue the car in the future.

I will wait for the criticism........................ :lol:
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

Country Boy wrote:The 2.0 is adequate for fun, although if you can find a 2.2 this is the better option.

As for the 2.8 and or the 3.0 - big is not always beautiful and if you need that much power by a Boxter.
All the "improvements" that people do to the 2.8 and 3.0 shows that the original car isn't up to the extra power.

Lets face it the Z3 is approaching "classic" status and any "improvements" will only devalue the car in the future.

Good call!

Some of the individual spec ones are what I like the look of.
Country Boy

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Country Boy »

That is what I have - Mora Metallic Individual.
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

2 litre engine was fitted mid production run and replaced by the 2.2 litre at facelift (approx mid 1999), when the 2.8 was also replaced by the 3 litre. If you are more concerned with finding a Z3 in good condition with low miles a facelift (as late a 2003 reg) could be your best option. Even an older car with low miles will have been on the road for more years and may have been exposed to more road salt etc. I understand that the later engines M54 have more of an appetite for oil than the earlier M52 by reputation but this is not seen as a fault.

Perhaps this is advice to the already wise (you seem to know a fair bit about cars) but what ever you decide to look for make sure that you take a good look underneath and know how much rust and worn rubber you are taking on. Many vehicle owners take good care of the top side and do to the working bits underneath to get through the MOT. Some rust is almost certain to be present at this age just be sure it is limited to the surface and easy to repair.

Happy hunting.
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

I had a 2.0 face-lift. You mean the wider body right?
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

mnbrennan wrote:I had a 2.0 face-lift. You mean the wider body right?
yes - 2000 model.
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

roadvoyager1 wrote:2 litre engine was fitted mid production run and replaced by the 2.2 litre at facelift (approx mid 1999), when the 2.8 was also replaced by the 3 litre. If you are more concerned with finding a Z3 in good condition with low miles a facelift (as late a 2003 reg) could be your best option. Even an older car with low miles will have been on the road for more years and may have been exposed to more road salt etc. I understand that the later engines M54 have more of an appetite for oil than the earlier M52 by reputation but this is not seen as a fault.

Perhaps this is advice to the already wise (you seem to know a fair bit about cars) but what ever you decide to look for make sure that you take a good look underneath and know how much rust and worn rubber you are taking on. Many vehicle owners take good care of the top side and do to the working bits underneath to get through the MOT. Some rust is almost certain to be present at this age just be sure it is limited to the surface and easy to repair.

Happy hunting.

thanks - yes, condition is important. I'm not a fan of starting with worn bolsters and scabby alloys etc...

wide body, sport orsport based individual in certain colour combo'sseems to be what I like the look of.
harleyz3

blank

Post by harleyz3 »

I,m selling my 2.0ltr m sport shortly to fund a car for my 17yr daughter, silver with two tone leather.
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

harleyz3 wrote:I,m selling my 2.0ltr m sport shortly to fund a car for my 17yr daughter, silver with two tone leather.
Thanks - I have identified a couple of special editions that I like the colour combo's so will sit and wait. I dont necessarily need to do it this year if the right one does not turn up.

(no offence but I don't like silver)
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Neither do I! :)
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

ok - so after spending hours trawling the net last night I'd like to throw some ideas about to see what confirmation comes back.

From what I can gather the engine in the 2.0 6cyl is the M50B20 - correct?

That being the case then there seems to be some possibility to some mix-and-match with block / head / pistons / ecu / injectors from the 2.5 and 2.8, possibly making 2.2 short-stroke on a 84mm overbore (2.5 block), 2.2 long stroke using 2.5 crank and rods or a full 2.5.

With the 84mm bore it seems that the 2.5 head has larger valves so would be a massive benefit in pushing the power and top end breathing forwards. Imagine a 2.0 crank with forges rods and forged 84mm pistons and the subsequent weight reduction!!

What is the difference then to push on from 2.5 to 2.8? Is the block fundamentally different to allow a larger bore or is it in the crank?

Are all the m50 inlet manifolds the same? I see the regular conversions for M50 manifolds ( I remember this mod from Birds in the '90's for the 323 e36) - is it a 2.8 model that is the best bet or was it just the 323 that was the blocked up manifold?

Yes, it could be easier to just drop a 2.5 or 2.8 of unknown history in the car but some of this could be done over several winters building up.

Also, was the 2000MY 2.0 Dual vanos?
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I admire your desire to tinker but would say you can easily buy a 2.8 with history- just look for a cheap 3/5/7 series with the engine an service history. You'll be able to drive the car and check the engine too. Plenty of cheap ones about, even cheaper if you by an auto.

THEN do a stroker conversion to the 2.8, manifolds, US M3 cams, fan delete, etc etc!!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

If you did manage to extract 170 bhp or more from your 2 litre engine, there are other things to consider - the gearbox is different from 2.8 litre upwards - a ZF unit as used on the M3, front brakes are vented, clutch, radiator,expansion tank, and exhaust system are different, and so on. Then there would be the problem with your insurance company . . .

Be happy with it for what it is, and replace or improve the usual parts to improve the handling - it is cheaper, easier, and in the real world more rewarding.

And yes - the 2 litre does have a double VANOS system - but you could have decided that yourself by looking under the bonnet!
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

Mike Fishwick wrote:If you did manage to extract 170 bhp or more from your 2 litre engine, there are other things to consider - the gearbox is different from 2.8 litre upwards - a ZF unit as used on the M3, front brakes are vented, clutch, radiator,expansion tank, and exhaust system are different, and so on. Then there would be the problem with your insurance company . . .

Be happy with it for what it is, and replace or improve the usual parts to improve the handling - it is cheaper, easier, and in the real world more rewarding.

And yes - the 2 litre does have a double VANOS system - but you could have decided that yourself by looking under the bonnet!
not quite sure how to take that response...?

I could have possibly looked if I was at the point of owning one or gone out to look at the one 130 miles away but as it is yhis remains a fact finging exercise to try to establish which model to consider buying.

Insurance isnt the big deal everybody who doesnt modify their cars makes it out to be. Been there, done it.

Does the 2.2 and the 2.0 share the same gearbox? is the 2.2 really operating at the extreme top end of the gearbox rated output?

I give up. Seems like everybody here just runs and hides with horror stories of insurance company says no and anything will break if you so much as put 2bhp more than it was supposed to originally take.
Last edited by Blacknight on Fri 17 Apr, 2015 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Blacknight wrote: I give up. Seems like everybody here just runs and hides with horror stories of insurance company says no and anything will break if you so much as put 2bhp more than it was supposed to originally take.
That´s not the case. The main point is that there are plenty of Z3s with bigger engines for sale out there that have more performance than the 2 litre.

Arguably of all the Z3s produced the 2 litre is the least attractive combination - the M44 1.9 develops about the same power but has the advantage of a lighter engine and very enjoyable handling. The bigger 6-cylinder engines make up for the increased weight with more power. If you´re looking for everyone to just agree that buying a 2 litre car and then spending time and money to recreate somethng that already exists, then you will be disappoined (unless you don´t want honest answers).

But, at the end of the day, all Z3s are great cars if it is the type of car you want, and that´s the real question to ask yourself.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Just tried my 2.2 z3 plenty of go i think its only got 170 hp
peter2b
ashbandicoot

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ashbandicoot »

I'm all for modding. I have a 2.8 with lots of mods.

Having said that I don't know of mods for the M52B20 so can't really add alot of value lol. What I would say is search for mods for e36 rather than z3 as there is likely to be more options. Zs are generally bought for the roadster feel..

I think the manifold mod won't add anything as the existing head isn't strangled by the manifold as is the case with the 2.8. A remap may get a a smoother torque pattern whilst a larger bore throttle body would improve throttle response I believe. As for actual gains in bhp, probably not alot.

Don't be disheartened by comments that dissuade you, they are with the best intentions. I was told to either get an an M or the 3.0 when I asked questions on other forums. For me, an M is an insurance nightmare. I am yet to have my car dyno'd so as yet I will keep tight lipped as to whether I should have heeded their advice.

To me it was a challenge

Cheers

Ash
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I had assumed that anyone who seems as serious as you seemed to be about a 2 litre Z3 would have had a good poke around one and have a decent knowledge of the basics, rather than just kicking tyres via the internet - I was wrong again!

The 2 litre engine is the M52TU B20, the 'TU' bit denoting a Technical Upgrade, including (over the single inlet-only VANOS M52 engine) exhaust VANOS, DISA inlet manifold control, an exhaust system with double cayalytic converters and a vacuum-operated tailpipe valve to reduce noise below about 2800 rpm, and several other small changes. The M50 engine did not have VANOS at all.

I think the bottom line is that if you are not happy withthe 150 bhp of a 2 litre engine you are looking at the wrong car - as already stated, the 140 bhp 1.9 is a better car, with nicer steering response due to the absence of an additional 50 lbs from in front of the axle line, but these cars are now at least 15 years old, and you would have to look hard to find a good one. This engine - the M44 - is very tunable, a good remap, Kent cams, and a decent head job apparently giving 170+ bhp, depending on the cam specification, without spending a lot of money. These changes are also well hidden . . .
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Country Boy wrote:The 2.0 is adequate for fun, although if you can find a 2.2 this is the better option.

I am with you, having previously owned a Lotus Elise S2 and Ferrari Mondial t.

I have owned a Z3 2.8 and now a 3.0.
My 3.0 is the "M Sport" which has "lowered uprated suspension" and it is definitely a lot sharper than my 2.8, with the usual trade off of a harder ride. Although it's still not harsh, and like a Rolls Royce after the Lotus.
Of course it is still no Elise, but if you want improved handling (plus better seats) try and find an "M Sport" Z3.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

I recently met a guy with a 2000 Z3 2.0 ACS edition (full look ACS with the Roll Hoops), it has the ACS compressor kit installed pushing the engine from 2.0 liters to 2.6, and around 270+ HP :twisted:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/attach ... 1029121379
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I would say just buy a 3.0 there are plenty around and are not expensive. The 3.0 is an absolute honey of an engine, smooth as silk and goes like stink.

If you already own a 2.0 and are attached to it, then it might be worth looking at engine upgrades if you want more performance.
Blacknight

Not specified

Post by Blacknight »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I had assumed that anyone who seems as serious as you seemed to be about a 2 litre Z3 would have had a good poke around one and have a decent knowledge of the basics, rather than just kicking tyres via the internet - I was wrong again!

The 2 litre engine is the M52TU B20, the 'TU' bit denoting a Technical Upgrade, including (over the single inlet-only VANOS M52 engine) exhaust VANOS, DISA inlet manifold control, an exhaust system with double cayalytic converters and a vacuum-operated tailpipe valve to reduce noise below about 2800 rpm, and several other small changes. The M50 engine did not have VANOS at all.

I think the bottom line is that if you are not happy withthe 150 bhp of a 2 litre engine you are looking at the wrong car - as already stated, the 140 bhp 1.9 is a better car, with nicer steering response due to the absence of an additional 50 lbs from in front of the axle line, but these cars are now at least 15 years old, and you would have to look hard to find a good one. This engine - the M44 - is very tunable, a good remap, Kent cams, and a decent head job apparently giving 170+ bhp, depending on the cam specification, without spending a lot of money. These changes are also well hidden . . .
- I'm not sure how a 1.9 can be considered a desirable alternative to a 2.0 - its a 4-pot. Nuff said. If I wanted the last word in handling then I would have stopped off at the MX-5 forum but fortunaltely those things do nothing for me. Surely one of THE main reasons for considering the Z3 (and certainly mine) is finding a 2-seater 'sports' car with a 6-pot. I'm happy if the 2.0's are seen as not desirable as that will mean they are cheaper.

- I have no idea if I will find a 2.0 adequate or not. Anything besides the M will be substantially slower than what I am used to so it is a case of finding out first what are the possibilities before wasting endless weekends and evening looking at cars on the other side of the country that are not going to have any development options should it prove not not quite hit the spot.

Trying to steer this back to the original idea of the thread and forgetting the 'lob a 2.8/3.0 in it' mentality for a moment ... could a 2.5 crank swap straight in (are the cranks inter-changable?), could a 2.0 block be overbored to 84mm (again, are the base blocks essentially the same) and could a 2.5 head (or 2.8 or 3.0 - are those ones the same?) swap directly on to a 2.0 overbored to 84mm?

As mentioned, they are sort of approaching semi-classic status so keeping the original block numbering etc should count for something.

As also mentioned, if it was a choice between a minter 2.0 with some interesting trim combo's and a scruffy 3.0 (or even just a tidy plain silver one iwth black interior) then the minter would, for me, win every time.

If you just want to answer 'why would you want to' to the above questions then maybe this thread isn't for you. Its sort of like asking somebody directions to Liverpool or Norwich and being given the reply 'why would you want to go there? 'Maybe you do, maybe you don't, maybe you are interested in the places you could pass on the way.

I'm in no way fixed on having to have a 2.0, but I note that quite a few special Ed's were done as 2.0 or 2.2 and specials tend to get looked after a bit better in my experience and there are some lovely colour combos. If a minter 3.0 with a twin-colour leather interior came up them of course I would be interested but that would I guess have to be an individual model. There is a dark metalic red 3.0 for sale fairly close to me with black leather and split rims but it just does not look right - a bit 'Florida'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......... my 3.0 was 100% black interior when I bought it........ a little effort and one can have anything one prefers.....
Regarding the blocks of various models and the interchangeability of components such as crank shafts, it is simple enough to get the specifications by going to the original parts lists and checking out the details such as bearing sizes etc. The amount of increased bore you can realise is generally 500cc. (2.0 to 2.5, 2.5 to 3.0 etc.) This can be achieved without changing the length of the stroke. You can also consider shortening the stroke and increasing the bore which will not change the cc capacity, but provide higher revs and more torque.
The suggestion of high lift cams and giving the head a gas flowed finish, and possibly fitting slightly larger intake valves is the shortest route to increased power. You will need a re-map to account for the changes you have made.

My previous 2.8 was "beige"........ I changed that too...

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

ashbandicoot wrote:To me it was a challenge
Exactly this. Some people just don't get it.

Back in my Mini engine days, I had more fun using my intuition and engineering knowhow to extract every ounce of performance from my 998cc A series engine than I did buying a 1275cc Turbo.

I can't help as I have no experience of the 2.0 litre specifically, but looking at any engine bay, you can usually see where improvements can be made. Are there lots of ancillaries that can be removed? Do you need that air pump if it's fitted? Do you need that air-con? Does that fan need to run all the time?

Set a benchmark by making the standard car as good as you can with a full service, adjusting the valve timing and shims to the correct tolerances (etc.) if they are adjustable. Sort out any problems with suspension, brakes and tyres.

Maximising airflow rates is the biggest improvement. Both intake and exhaust, but be aware that maximising exhaust gas flow is not as simple as just putting on a big bore exhaust.

Lighten and balance as much as you can. MMI kills acceleration :wink: .

ECU should be the last thing you do. It will maximise what you have, but any future upgrades will be held back by the ECU and you will need another ECU remap.
Pingu