New head unit recommendations?

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

New head unit recommendations?

Post by Warrior »

My zed 3 has a multi (too many!) buttoned all singing all dancing SONY unit running through standard speakers. In 3 years I've not yet learnt everything it can do so am looking to change to something new.

I don't need fancy screen displays, options to set play for opera, rock, pop, acoustic etc.,

I would like buttons that aren't 3mm diameter, Bluetooth capability for phone and a decent sound that's loud enough to make me look an absolute pratt at the lights :D but without having to add woofers, tweeters etc.,

Ideas?
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: New head unit recommendations?

Post by Mugs »

i always find alpine to be the best sounding and easiest to use (unless you get a competition head unit), have them in all our cars. :wink:
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

If you don't look for most advanced stuff, you might want to consider the Parrot Asteroid classic :

Added bonus : you'll have a (small) satnav in a 1 DIN form factor, which is quite rare nowadays.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Try getting your hands on a Becker......... Bluetooth / front loading CD / iPod or stick aux...

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Mugs wrote:i always find alpine to be the best sounding and easiest to use
I agree, it is said that Alpine made the original BMW ones.
An important feature is to get one with an "amber" (not red) backlight so that it matches the rest of the dials and looks professional/OE. Alpine usually have "amber" available. :D

Like you, I tend to be pragmatic about these things, I agree you need a Bluetooth hands-free mobile phone facility these days. Personally, I don't believe a CD playing facility is necessary - it only means the inside of a soft-top car is potentially cluttered with CDs. Halfords are currently selling an Alpine unit for around £70 which has the Bluetooth hands-free facility plus several options to play music i.e. radio :D , USB slot, aux plug hole and IPOD connectivity. So you can carry your entire music collection on either an IPOD or cheap USB stick :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Del wrote:
Mugs wrote:i always find alpine to be the best sounding and easiest to use
I agree, it is said that Alpine made the original BMW ones.
An important feature is to get one with an "amber" (not red) backlight so that it matches the rest of the dials and looks professional/OE. Alpine usually have "amber" available. :D

Like you, I tend to be pragmatic about these things, I agree you need a Bluetooth hands-free mobile phone facility these days. Personally, I don't believe a CD playing facility is necessary - it only means the inside of a soft-top car is potentially cluttered with CDs. Halfords are currently selling an Alpine unit for around £70 which has the Bluetooth hands-free facility plus several options to play music i.e. radio :D , USB slot, aux plug hole and IPOD connectivity. So you can carry your entire music collection on either an IPOD or cheap USB stick :)
I agree too, not with the Alpine comments as I don't know about them but definitely with the Bluetooth audio streaming, much easier than CD etc. i use my iPhone to store all my music but a Bluetooth iPod or such devise is just as good. I will be getting a replacement unit for my ///M this summer and will definitely check out the Alpine range.

However, what I can also recommend is getting a unit with a rear USB port and the running a lead out from the back of the unit, under their centre console and trim and then out at the rear of the car - either where the rear switches are or, like me, out at the back of the central storage box. I have one of Barry's 2nd generation arm rests and this is perfect for this kind of modification. This way I have the choice of either using the streaming Bluetooth for my music (ideal for shorter journeys when I have plenty of charge on my phone) or to play music via the USB connection And charge my phone without having unsightly wires sticking out of the lighter port
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I've just got a Pure Highway H260DBI does dab, fm ,am radio blue tooth with hands free phone calling ,ipod/phone and USB connection and cd player and a few other things that I haven't sorted yet like variable Colour display £ 140
Peter2b
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Found this. It looks really nice, and good spec, low price.

http://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/In-Car ... hwarz.html

petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

I have the Alpine CDE-136BT which I'm very happy with, which has the amber backlight. Its a DAB radio (you need to change the aerial as OEM item isn't compatible) which has my iPod connected to it in the glove box, also Bluetooth paired to my iPhone. The OEM CD player isn't connected but that's no great loss.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Depends on your budget........ becker are the best value but also one of the more expensive. The reason, the porsche and ferrari guys love them for their classics, so expensive to get hold of but retain / go up in value. So you can spend c£100 on a radio which will be worth £0 in 3 years or £400-£500 on a becker and get your money back / make money in 3 years.

VDO do some good classic options as well. None of the current Alpines / Kenwoods etc..... offer the correct look for a Z3 dash IMHO.

Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

Well integrated 1-DIN & Google maps, any idea beside the Parrot Asteroid classic ?

It's not a big problem to me if it doesn't look vintage.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Martini wrote:Well integrated 1-DIN & Google maps, any idea beside the Parrot Asteroid classic ?

It's not a big problem to me if it doesn't look vintage.
What is the use in posting a unit which is discontinued?

New parrots are hundreds of euros. The one I posted is £55, a bargain.
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

I asked about a newer solution which would be as good as the 1-DIN Parrot.

Your unit is crap.
Last edited by Martini on Tue 11 Oct, 2016 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Gosh, this thread's getting a little 'testy'!
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Suggest a mod cleans this one up. Don't like to see comments like this on the forum.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

mrscalex wrote:Suggest a mod cleans this one up. Don't like to see comments like this on the forum.
Don't look then.
knighthawk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by knighthawk »

:shock:
OXO wrote:
mrscalex wrote:Suggest a mod cleans this one up. Don't like to see comments like this on the forum.
Don't look then.
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

Back to the topic...

Has anyone encountered an Android unit that works well with the Z3?