My New Ramps

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

My New Ramps

Post by motco »

I bought a pair of hydraulically operated ramps recently after reading recommendations from the Westfield Club forum. They are made in a little workshop in the Midlands and sold on Ebay. At £272 delivered they are very good value. The finish is a bit rough - sharp unfiled edges, etc., but you can tidy that up yourself. Anyway, here's some pics of my Z and my son's S2000 up on them.

You drive on to them lowered, and then pump them up a bit at a time with the supplied bottle jacks - there's a mechanical stop to guard against hydraulic failure when they are fully extended. I have no idea about capacity but the makers said that a 1500kg car should be fine, so that covers most. I am trying to calculate the force exerted by each jack when loaded to 400kg (25% of a Mondeo estate). When I can remember how to do it I'll add the figures here. Don't hold your breath y'all! :P
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: My New Ramps

Post by pingu »

The largest pressure in the jack will be at the start of the lift. To calculate the force the jack needs, you need to measure all the lever lengths and angles the levers make with the floor.

Are they special jacks, because bottle jacks are not normally designed to be used lying down. I've done it in situations where I've been bending bodywork and they leak. I'm sure that yours don't leak at the moment, but I'd be concerned for the future.

Is there any advantage over the normal ramps that you drive up?
Pingu
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Pingu, the advantage is the huge amount of lift coupled with no problems running onto them with fouling the front splitter. Ordinary fixed ramps are always too steep to fit under the nose, and then they don't have this much elevation. As for the jacks, the supplier says to store the jacks upright and remove them from the ramps when not actually lifting with them. Hopefully that will lead to a satisfactory lifespan.

I have to draw up scale diagrams to work out the moments, loads, etc. It's been a long time since I did any stress calcs and I don't even know where my copy of Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain is!
bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

Hi, Motco do you have the contact details of where you got them from please. :) i know you got them of ebay but from whom?
Bazza (East Dorset)
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

bazza1966 wrote:Hi, Motco do you have the contact details of where you got them from please. :) i know you got them of ebay but from whom?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDRAULIC-HEI ... 20fc23faa4

et Voila! :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Listing has ended....... :cry:

I did see an alternative with a mechanical threaded screw which would remove the leaking bottle jack issue... but involve as much "screwing" as a standard jack...
:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

You are correct, the listing has ended and no re-listing is evident. I have emailed the company to see why. As far as the leaking is concerned, I cannot see that any leaking can occur under pressure (load) as the force of gravity is massively exceeded by the hydraulic pressure. Un-loaded, however, may be another matter, or weeping from the filler hole if it is below its normal position. More anon...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... And for pure mechanical simplicity, this little baby could be made in sections to be dismantled for storage when not in use....
http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/phdi/ ... ent&part=2
"Normal is overrated"

motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

This http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/Q ... -3500.aspx is what I would really like but they're expensive and unavailable in UK due to lack of CE mark (European approval).

Even here, though, I would be very cautious about lateral stability.

Back to the ramps, I have looked at this and done a good deal of head scratching and vector diagram drawing. Put simply, according to my estimates the jacks need to be larger capacity than they are because the static load on the start of the lift on the jack rams is nearer 4000kg than 2000kg assuming a 1500kg car with 50:50 weight distribution needing a lift of 400kg per ramp. I haven't tried to lift the front of my X-Type yet but it did lift the front of the S2000 and the rear of my Z3 easily and if the error really were a factor of two then even that would have over stressed the jacks - it didn't. In fact with the very short pumping lever you're given (shorter than standard) it really wasn't hard to lift at all.

I am not prepared to spend the time needed calculate the fall-off of force as the ramps open up (it gets to a very low figure when it nears full extension due to the change in geometry) because not only am I too lazy (and probably unable too) but it will fail only while nobody is under it because it will go phutt during lifting, not once it's up. I am reasonably happy with the strength of the structure - big bolts and heavy welds where needed - it was only the jack capacity that bothered me a little. If you see an obituary of me soon, then I am over optimistic!

Edit: I have looked at my ramps and jacks and find that they are 4 tonne capacity so my concerns are unfounded. :head:
Last edited by motco on Wed 08 Jul, 2015 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Southernboy wrote:Listing has ended....... :cry:
They replied to my email. Apparently they have been inundated with orders and cannot keep up. They will relist later in July - keep watching.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

if any one is stuck I have a twin arm lift in my shed that they can use over 1 weekend, beer tokens always welcome
petet2b
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

They are back on now, albeit slightly dearer. Here: ebay listing

Mod Edit: Short URL replaced with full link to ebay - please don't use shortened URLs - they can be used to spread viruses. R.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Well, chaps, I have just used these in anger on my son's S2000. The rear ARB offside drop link had failed (a common problem, apparently), and access to undo the heavily rusted nuts is very difficult from the side so a proper lift or ramps like these make the job much easier. When I say heavily rusted I mean HEAVILY rusted! You are supposed to use a hex socket in the end through a ring spanner - see pic of a new one below.

and a failed one.

That might work for a nice clean new one to tighten it up but after liberal dosing with Plus Gas and the use of a big pipe wrench (stilsons) on the exposed ball, I only just managed to avoid breaking out the angle grinder!

Job now done and thirst ready to be quenched. :D
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

There are enough pictures on here to make a set of these up myself - although at the moment I use two sets of the highest car ramps I could buy - drive onto one set under the front wheels as normal and then jack the rear end up high enough to put the second set under the rear wheels - then use a couple of trolley jacks and hefty steel box section as a beam to lift wheels in order to work on the brakes/suspension etc - sometimes needs a bit of thought and improvision - but for how often I use it works very well and all comes apart into seperate components for easy storage and for use as individual items.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I bought one of these for £999

1. Lifting capacity: 4000Kg
2. Post Height: 2740mm
3. Car max lifting height: 1800mm
4. Lift min stand height: 120mm
5. Clearance between posts: 2794mm..............
6. Total width: 3420mm
7. Lifting Time: 40s (Adjustable)
8. Lowering Time: 30s (Adjustable)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I'd love a two post lift but my garage headroom is inadequate, as is the floor construction, sadly. Not to mention the bank balance values!

But... with two post lifts make sure you mount them on good, sound concrete or this will be your reward!

SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

I have the patent on a new stile Jack, I'm just looking for a manufacturer. It's ideal in a confined space ie a narrow garage. The idea is so that you can lift the car each corner in turn without moving it and put it on stands or support blocks. Picture shows the very crude prototype. The finished model would be a lot sleeker with single drive. It can be used with manual crank or electric (drill) drive and one size fits from small wheels up to 4x4. Ideal for cars with corroded jacking points or in the case of the Z1 weird chassis.
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu17 ... N1731a.jpg
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Gookah has a good stand
My new rampy thing in action...

can be locked in horizontal and all wheels removed, or tilted for loads of room at ether end. I was sitting down changing my wishbones..

ps I don't have Parkinsons, it's a wobbly joint.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

SCORPION wrote:I have the patent on a new stile Jack, I'm just looking for a manufacturer. It's ideal in a confined space ie a narrow garage. The idea is so that you can lift the car each corner in turn without moving it and put it on stands or support blocks. Picture shows the very crude prototype. The finished model would be a lot sleeker with single drive. It can be used with manual crank or electric (drill) drive and one size fits from small wheels up to 4x4. Ideal for cars with corroded jacking points or in the case of the Z1 weird chassis.
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu17 ... N1731a.jpg
I hope that by 'patent' you mean a granted patent and not just an application accepted, because you risk it's success by publishing details of the invention before the first examination if my recollection of advice from a patent lawyer is correct. I have an application in (long since expired) for a road safety anti-tailgating assistant. During the year between application and examination I visited a few potential manufacturers in UK and, under a signed secrecy agreement, discussed the potential of the device for them. All bar one were positive but ultimately unfruitful. The remaining one ripped it off, had it made in Taiwan and offered it for sale through two intermediaries. Unfortunately for them it flopped. I didn't pursue it beyond getting prices from a far east maker with the intention of selling it through 'Innovations' (remember them?) for £9.99. The Taiwanese manufacturer I chose wanted a minimum production run of ten thousand! The prototypes sit in my garage drawer still....
:?
SCORPION
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Post by SCORPION »

Yes, Granted, signed and sealed. As you found, the problem is just marketing it without bankrupting yourself.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Thread revival!

I had an email this morning from these people: http://bpkeurope.eu/

They sell the US made Quickjack in the EU - previously unavailable due to lack of CE marking. I suggest the mid-size (BL-5000) for most medium sized UK cars. The price of €1,400 comes out at about £1090 currently. Whether that includes VAT and carriage or not I don't yet know - I have emailed back to ask. Needless to say I am not connected with either the US or the Estonian companies.