Remote doesn't work. ZKE issue?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Martini

M coupe S50

Remote doesn't work. ZKE issue?

Post by Martini »

Last week, my remote stopped working.

It was a bit abrupt but I didn't feel too concerned since these batteries were pretty old. The red LED on the remote wasn't lighting anymore.
I took the batteries out, one was showing 2.5 V, the other was completely shut (-0.15 V, yes I've checked the polarity like 10 times).

So I let the key disassembled and ordered two batteries which arrived a few days later. I put them in place, the red LED lights up and the key emits infrared.
It doesn't lock/unlock the car but that's to be expected since I left it without any battery for quite some time and I guess it now needs to be re-paired.

I did read all the topics I found about programming/reprogramming a key. My fuel door actuator thingy works. My central locking fuses are ok. The central locking works with the driver's keyhole and the computer.

But I can't pair my car with my remote.
After the five quick ignition (or position 1) cycles, I do the unlock holding + three taps on lock button on the key. The key LED starts blinking but the car won't lock/unlock, whichever way I orientate the key.

According to INPA, I have a ZKE fault:

I'm pretty lost there, any idea is welcome.
Martini

M coupe S50

Re: Remote doesn't work. ZKE issue?

Post by Martini »

By the way the car is a 1999 M Coupé but I posted here since it doesn't sound like an ///M related issued and I thought the audience would be larger on the "regular" subforum.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'm puzzled as to which alarm you have. AFAIK all the alarms only have one battery in the key or in a separate fob. All UK alarms are radio, not infarrd, so what country is the car from? If we can get to the bottom of what you have, we might be able to find the correct instructions for programming your alarm.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

The car has no alarm.

I'm having an issue with my remote locking system (americans call it keyless entry I think).

There are two CR2016 batteries in the key. It is infrared and looks like that:

Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

And the car comes from Japan but I don't know if they did things differently over there.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

On the UK models the alarm receiver operates the central locking. If the car has no alarm, then it will simply have a receiver module connected to the lock and unlock wires of the central locking in it's place. I have no experience of BMW infrared remotes - did you have to point the key at the car in order to get it to lock/unlock - if you did, then I am wondering if the receiver has line of sight to the key when you are trying to teach the car about it - I would expect the receiver to be in the rear view mirror somewhere.

If the central locking works, we can at least rule out wiring issues with the central locking. It is possible that the receiver module has failed, but would be hopeful that the batteries going flat in the key has simply caused the car to get out of sync with the key, and it just needs the correct procedure to re-teach it.

Anyone else have experience of infrared remotes?

Cheers R.
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

I had to point to the car's cabin (probable the rear view mirror) to get it to work, yeah.

When I point thé IR LED of the remote towards a digital camera, I see it working.

Any chance there is a Z3 specific syncing procedure?
Or could I do it with INPA?
Last edited by Martini on Tue 07 Jul, 2015 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

The ZKE fault shown has only happened once and also shows it is sporadic, how it knows this when it has only happened once I don't know! I would suggest that you clear the code and see if it re-appears.

I have never really thought about the signalling from the key before but i am surprised that it is IR, I have a similar key but mine works on a frequency, out of curiosity where about is the IR port on the Key?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Are you sure it's a BMW alarm? The picture you posted looks very 'aftermarket' to me.
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

It is not an alarm.
The pic I posted probably is a Chinese empty shell for those who want to replace a worn key but it is the exact copy of the BMW equipment.

Brian H wrote: I have never really thought about the signalling from the key before but i am surprised that it is IR, I have a similar key but mine works on a frequency, out of curiosity where about is the IR port on the Key?
On the side from which the blade protrudes, there is an IR LED.
Last edited by Martini on Tue 07 Jul, 2015 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

What is the difference between FT: and BT: ?
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

FT & BT??

I have the $875A option: Infrarot Fernbedienung/Infrared remote control. See my key:

BMW mentions it here:

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

kkkrisss wrote:What is the difference between FT: and BT: ?
Just a guess, but one could be Transmit (Tx) and the other Receive (Rx).

Martini, Have you cleared the codes on INPA?
Pingu
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

Yes I have.

Still can't pair/sync my key to the car but I wonder if I'm using the right procedure. I have only one remote.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Martini wrote:Yes I have.

Still can't pair/sync my key to the car but I wonder if I'm using the right procedure. I have only one remote.
The procedure you posted starts with:

The car must have been opened with the remote control

I'm guessing that's not the case, and you've been using the key in the door. If so, it suggests that you won't be able to pair it. I'm not really sure what to suggest, other than try and find a forum in a market that used the IR remote and see if they have any idea. Or try a dealer, but I'd be concerned that they won't have any idea either as they won't have seen the system before.

Looking at older BMWs that have IR remotes, there is talk of turning the ignition on, then pressing the key to code it. Obviously this requires two keys - one to turn the ignition on while you point the one you want to program at the receiver.
Martini

M coupe S50

Post by Martini »

I detailed the method I used in the first post. It is supposed to work even if you haven't opened the car with the remote.

I'm pretty surprised Z3s didn't comme with an IR remote at the beginning in the UK.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Martini wrote:
I'm pretty surprised Z3s didn't comme with an IR remote at the beginning in the UK.
I'm surprised that any of them DID come with IR! Japan must be the only territory that didn't have a radio remote.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Some markets got infrared remotes. You can see them listed on Realoem. It has more to do with licencing of spectrum than anything else. In the UK we have free to use bands - I'm guessing that Japan does not.

Cheers R.