Full Size Spare Wheel

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
isittc

Z3 roadster 1.9

Full Size Spare Wheel

Post by isittc »

I have a 1999 Z3 1.9 roadster and have just bought a full size spare wheel ( 16 x 7J with 225 x 50 tyre). Now I realize that it probably wont fit in the boot unless someone knows of a cunning wheeze.

I suppose the same problem exists should you ever have to use the space-saver spare and need to put the damaged wheel/tyre somewhere. So instead of trying to 're-invent the wheel' I thought I'd ask the Forum whether anyone had a cunning plan for solving this problem.

I note my Owner's Manual is pretty vague about what you do with the wheel that you remove from the car.

I suppose that I could rely on my wife in the Support Vehicle (her Beetle) carrying sufficient spares etc., like a do whenever I take my Spitfire out for a spin, but that rather defeats the object of owning a modern sports car.

Any ideas?

Chris
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Full Size Spare Wheel

Post by Southernboy »

Hi fella..and welcome to the forum. :wave

Firstly, there is no cunning resolution to a full size spare.

You query has been the subject of some humourous debate here in the past. I recall the most sensible option was to dump the BH and use the passenger seat for the full size flat whilst using the space saver to limp to a repair shop. Or if you've just come out the pub and discovered you have a flat, send her off with the flat to be repaired whilst you contemplate another pint. 8-)

Anyhow, bottom line is, space saver, portable mini compressor and DIY repair kit (my favourite solution on account of the vast distances in SA between potential help points.) or the foam injected stuff which will see you to a repair shop.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Injecting foam is alright for something like a nail hole but if the tyre shreds then its not a solution. I had this idea of the rack that holds the spare wheel sliding backwards from under the car which then can hold the full size wheel behind the car in a vertical position. I recall some car having an option of a similar rack that slides out for mounting a bike. I realise this isnt much help as such a rack doesnt exist. Just stick the flat in the seat next to you and give your passenger the bus fare home.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The car would have been originally supplied with a plastic bag in which to place the removed wheel so that it can be transported inside the car - presumably on the seat.

If you do have to do this, ensure that the tyre is fully deflated before putting it in the car. One poor lady died when a damaged tyre exploded in her lap.

R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

something for southerboy to think about designing......
a fold up soft bag to house the wheel that will strap onto the bootlid :wink: :D
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I suppose the boot mounted luggage rack would take the wheel with a few bungies.
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

No problem in mi coupe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

isittc wrote:I have a 1999 Z3 1.9 roadster and have just bought a full size spare wheel ( 16 x 7J with 225 x 50 tyre). Now I realize that it probably wont fit in the boot unless someone knows of a cunning wheeze.

I suppose the same problem exists should you ever have to use the space-saver spare and need to put the damaged wheel/tyre somewhere. So instead of trying to 're-invent the wheel' I thought I'd ask the Forum whether anyone had a cunning plan for solving this problem.

I note my Owner's Manual is pretty vague about what you do with the wheel that you remove from the car.

I suppose that I could rely on my wife in the Support Vehicle (her Beetle) carrying sufficient spares etc., like a do whenever I take my Spitfire out for a spin, but that rather defeats the object of owning a modern sports car.

Any ideas?

Chris
Hi Chris. Yes I was one of those that had also asked about the possibility of fitting a FS spare wheel into the boot albeit at that time I had the standard Z3 16" BMW 8 spoke with the large centre caps. They have been removed and stored in favour of 17" staggered - I could not get the original wheels in and I definitely don't stand a chance with the staggered wheels and especially the rear ones.
The prospect of putting a spare onto the boot lid - even if only temporary does not appeal ONE BIT. I never go out without my Ring Tyre Inflator and tyre pressure gauge.
Perhaps I will look at Run-Flats one day !!!!!

That said,I have the AA with the full Monty of cover and in my 50+ years of driving/owning my own cars I have only ever been unlucky to need a wheel change twice. The first time was in the mid 70's after a lump of 2" angle iron bounced across a dual carriageway and tried to hide under my front OS wheel of my 4 day old Morris Marina and the other was in 2007 when a huge Rawl Bolt fell out of a rather crappy goods trailer and buried itself into the OS front tyre of my V70 T5 --- Sssssssshhhhhhhhh.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

[quote="ARoosterinaRoadster"]
The prospect of putting a spare onto the boot lid - even if only temporary does not appeal ONE BIT.

it doesn't appeal to me either but i was thinking about a bag that could be kept in the boot with a very soft thick foam backing that wouldn't damage paint, that would clip to the boot lid and could carry the FS to the nearest tyre place.
i'd rather that than put it on the passenger seat and risk a divorce by leaving the wife at the side of the road. :lol:
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Mugs wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: The prospect of putting a spare onto the boot lid - even if only temporary does not appeal ONE BIT.

it doesn't appeal to me either but i was thinking about a bag that could be kept in the boot with a very soft thick foam backing that wouldn't damage paint, that would clip to the boot lid and could carry the FS to the nearest tyre place.
i'd rather that than put it on the passenger seat and risk a divorce by leaving the wife at the side of the road. :lol:
Hi Mugs. A circular bag with a heavy duty luggage type zip fastener and with decent padding inside is a do-able prospect,I can make that in my man-cave as I have all of the gear from before my retirement as a self employed upholsterer/motor/aircraft/marine trimmer.
Fastening down might be the issue - I will look at it as a project and keep you/the forum posted in the next few weeks.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:
Mugs wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: The prospect of putting a spare onto the boot lid - even if only temporary does not appeal ONE BIT.

Hi Mugs. A circular bag with a heavy duty luggage type zip fastener and with decent padding inside is a do-able prospect,I can make that in my man-cave as I have all of the gear from before my retirement as a self employed upholsterer/motor/aircraft/marine trimmer.
Fastening down might be the issue - I will look at it as a project and keep you/the forum posted in the next few weeks.
brilliant. it is something i have been thinking about but the people i know, who are in the trimming trade, haven't been interested unless i cross their palm with my life's savings :cry:
i look forward to seeing what you come up with. :wink:
for securing to the boot i was thinking of a sort of soft webbing that would loop around front and rear and clip on the inside of the boot lid that the bag would attach to after it had been fitted.
watching with interested, good luck :wink:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

When we did our little jaunt the other week, I carried a space saver from my 330 in the boot of my M. I know that it's not the full width of a normal tyre, but it solved the problem of carrying a spare as I didn't fancy being stuck with a shredded tyre in the out-of-the-way places that we went to. If I had needed to use the space-saver, I would have put the punctured wheel in the boot and tied the boot shut with some para-cord or some tie-wraps from the latch to the hasp if the boot wouldn't shut. I would have protected the inside of the boot from rain as much as possible, but I'd had just have to suffer the damage that would have been caused to the inside of the boot by the water that got in.

The only solution that comes close to being satisfactory is a properly fitted luggage rack with proper straps (not bungees :shock: ).
Pingu
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I use ultaseal in my tyres and a RAC card, there is a space saver under the boot in my zed , but swmbo would not like either be left standing at the road side or having a tyre on her lap,
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to you all out there. Well,I have finally solved the issue of the risk of having a puncture and having to store the FS wheel (Now 17" Staggered) either on the passenger seat or the passengers lap whilst a repair is affected !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just bought (winning bid on E'bay) a Pre- owned La Prealpina boot-lid rack. The Stainless Steel/Aluminium one with the lockable covers that fit over the Allen Cap bolts that are otherwise exposed on the mounting brackets that clamp to the outer edges of the boot lid.

My only concern is whether the rear wheel/tyre being the heavier of the wheels will exceed the recommended load capacity of the rack.