How to disable alarm completely on MY00 2.0?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

How to disable alarm completely on MY00 2.0?

Post by daveofedinburgh »

Evening guys,

Car is a 2000 2.0 manual, have the key with the buttons built in rather than on a separate fob.

Alarm has been going off with no discernible rhyme or reason last week or so. Have done my reading on here as to the potential problem areas, which I will investigate in due course.

In the meantime I just want to disable the alarm completely, as the car lives in a secure underground carpark and security therefore is not an immediate concern.

Have been locking the car using the key in the door lock last couple days, as I understand this doesn't arm the alarm.

Just want to get back to being able to lock using the key button while I look into it without worrying about the alarm going off all night and potentially draining the battery.

Pic of the (to my shame very ropey looking) key is attached.

Thanks in advance for any help.
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: How to disable alarm completely on MY00 2.0?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I don't think that's possible. If you use the remote locking it sets the alarm, so you'll have to just use the key in the door. Have you done any investigation into why the alarm goes off? Bonnet switch is a favourite problem, as is water in the boot where the tilt sensor is.
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Had the same problem a few weeks back, disconnected bonnet switch and alarm. The problem was the tilt switch in the boot, there was so much water in the well it was causing a short circuit across the terminals.

Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

See if this helps - you may have a different alarm fitted as mine has the separate fob...

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 8&p=398188
Pingu
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

No key switch on the siren on the later alarm, pingu, so you can't turn it off, I'm afraid.

If the alarm only goes off only when it is has been set, then it is less likely to be the tilt switch, as when this gets wet it seems to set the alarm off whether it is set or not.

Bonnet and stereo anti-theft switch are easiest to fix, but you can also try disbaling the interior movement sensors and tilt switch by locking the car a second time with the remote. If this works, then you can at least use the remote locking. If not, then simply lock the car with the key - you can still unlock it with the remote.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
OO 1005

M coupe S50

Post by OO 1005 »

My alarm was playing up a few years ago - it was the tilt switch but interestingly only when it was armed..

From memory its pretty easy to get to to check - in between the rear wheel and bumper on the passenger(?) side from memory..
ex.. BMW /// M Coupe 00, Estoril, ACS Front flippers, KWV3.. :(
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The usual problem with the tilt switch on the roadsters is that they drown due to water getting into the boot and finding its way to the lowest point, namely the left hand well behind and below the side trim. I would not expect water ingress to be a problem on the coupe.

Here is a pic of it on a my car:

When they drown, one of the characteristics seems to be an internal short that triggers the alarm even when it is not "set", so it can be going off whilst you are driving along!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc