Thermostat question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Thermostat question

Post by Inferno »

I changed my thermostat about an hour ago because the old one had stuck open, the temp needle doesn't sit exactly in the center it is about 1-2mm to the left (colder). Does anybody knows why?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Thermostat question

Post by Dino D »

Will dig up a thread that explains the gauge behaviour and the dash test so you can see the actual temp reading (the gauge only shows a range, not actual).
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Here you go, hope not helps, very interesting test to run to see your actual temps:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=37703
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

thanks, i will try that later tonight!
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

top code i saw was 2f, and the needle a bit to the left as the pic i posted above, so if i understand correctly i don't have a faulty gauge. new thermostat is mahle-behr and opens at 95c. is this how this particular thermostat works or something else?
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

It's like that because that's the way it is.
You cannot expect a temperature gauge to sit exactly in the middle of full scale and it will generally move slightly up or down depending on several things e.g. engine load, ambient temperature, airflow around the engine. The gauge is measuring the temperature of that huge block of metal and the oil and the water at a single point where the sensor is located so it is only an estimate of what is going on under the bonnet anyway.
If the gauge indicates around about the middle that is normal operation. Don't start worrying until it is significantly near the blue or even more so the red.
However the link describing how to get an actual temperature from a hex code is interesting.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Happy to hear that.
In my E36 sits always in the middle no matter what, same story in my Z3 before the replacement that's why i thought it might be a problem.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The temperature is taken by a sensor attached to the top of the radiator (left side if you are facing the engine) Perhaps the sensor is faulty ?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Southernboy wrote:The temperature is taken by a sensor attached to the top of the radiator (left side if you are facing the engine) Perhaps the sensor is faulty ?
Hi Barry,
Having replaced both temprature sensors on my 2.8 I can confirm that sensor on the side of radiator is actually the auxillary (electric) fan temp switch. I believe it is the case in the 1.9 too as I have fitted the switch from a 1.9 to my 2.8 (the 1.9 kicks the fan on at 80/88c low/high speed if the water temp leaving the radiator exceeds those limits. The standard 2.8 one is 90/99c).

The sensor giving the readout to the dash is located in the head on the intake manifold side (visible and accessible without removing the manifold). I am not sure on the 1.9 where it is but would assume it's also on the engine somewhere rather than the radiatior?

Since changing my temp sensor that gives the dash readout (and bleeding the system) my readouts are a bit lower but I'll still get a peak reading of 2F (113c) under heavy load or say in traffic. Of course the gauge is rock steady in the middle. However others get readings of max 99c so I'm trying to work out why that is.
I suspect there is still air as the 2.8 system is not a self bleed system and seems to need a few attempts..not sure on the 1.9.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

As I said the temperature is being measured at one point in the cylinder head, not the radiator as that temperature will fluctuate every time you stop or move or the fan cuts in.
"Cool" water is being pumped into a "hot" engine through narrow ducts there will be all sorts of temperature gradients and possibly differences in temperature of several degrees at various locations around the system.
Temperature gauges are not calibrated and even the thermostats are designed to open at nominal temperatures not an exact figure. The cooling system is not a miracle worker and the indicated temperature will vary depending upon operating conditions.
If the gauge is somewhere around the middle under normal driving conditions don't worry and be happy! :)
Only start to panic when the gauge is at either of the extremes.