Iron filings on paintwork?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Iron filings on paintwork?

Post by Warrior »

Fortunately not the Zed but on a near new VW Polo my daughter has just bought.

Looks immaculate on the drive but giving it it's first wash yesterday revealed 100's of very small iron filings over the roof and bonnet.

I tried claying which works with a bit of elbow grease but have read about various potions - wheel cleaner etc., - that are supposed to work without damaging the paint.

Has anybody had a similar experience and can make some recomendations?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Iron filings on paintwork?

Post by Southernboy »

......... A magnet..?? :D

Sounds like it's been parked in an industrial area where soot or some other emissions have settled on the car. Hopefully it wasn't hot material which will have melted into the paint and stuck there.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Warrior wrote:I tried claying which works with a bit of elbow grease
Personally, I would stick with the "claying" which is the traditional/recommended route for removing stubborn airborne particles and contaminants which stick to the paint surface.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has to slave over daughters' cars :D
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Use this first do not clay till after:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-an ... d_726.html

The 'BEAST' 666
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Seen that before, it's the result of someone using an angle grinder or the likes to cut metal nearby. Showers of hot metal dust burn into the paint, only way usually to get rid of it is to wet flat with 2000 grade wet/dry paper and polish back with Farecla G3. You may get lucky and find the metal dust hasn't burnt into the paint. Hope it's a happy outcome.

BB
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Thanks all..........

It was bought from a main VW Dealership that has been having a lot of building/steel work carried out so most likely done on site.

They are over an hours drive away we took it to the local main dealer and had their body shop guy look over it who said it would need mopping all over with a possible respray on the bonnet which I think a bit extreme! A scuff on the windscreen pillar that should have been done prior to collection.....£300!

You wouldn't see the particles until up very close, the car looks immaculate on the drive - 3 years old £12,000 miles, but it needs doing all over. We have a 30 day exchange deal and warranty for a year (?) so am hopeful this can be sorted amicably.
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

Apparently Fiat 500s suffered from a similar problem. My cousin was told that the cars were moved around from the factory on railway carriages and that the dust and rubbish from the train brakes got onto the paint and burnt tiny rusty holes just as described above. Lots of warranty claims allegedly.