Dash Cams

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Dash Cams

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I have been looking for a small dash cam to mount behind my rear view mirror, but cannot find anything on Ebay which will start to record automatically when the ignition suppy is turned on, stores data on a removable mini SD card, and does not have a playback screen, so being as small as possible.

Does anyone have experience of such things, and reccommend a suitable item?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Dash Cams

Post by colb »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-HD-Car-Ve ... 4875e84131

Use one of these in my Kia Sorento the screen folds and will switch on with ignition and start recording without having to press anything.
Mounting is a bit of a big window sticker so you might consider making something up if you go for one of these, cheap but functions ok had mine over a year now.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

If you only want fwd-facing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-720P-CAR- ... 43e17f1718

If you want rear camera as well...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Lens-HD- ... 4aef2962b9

I'm not advising you to use either of the sellers, but I can vouch for the cameras. I have the fwd and rear camera.

The following was filmed by me and helped the owner of the small car to make a claim against the low-loader. It also shows the clarity of the footage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCfqNlZ7YQE
Pingu
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Great - thanks everyone!
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

The video is great quality. Is it any good at night?
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

Check his other videos, there are a couple at night.

Have to say pingu, looks like where you live people drive like saints, you should see some of the things I see around mid Wiltshire, the "40 in a 60 swerving randomly across the white lines and on several occasions nearly hitting the LH bank" I saw on the way to Salisbury yesterday seems fairly standard around here. :dunce:
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

None of these cams are what I really want - I do not want to be able to play it back on an attached screen, which makes the thing too bulky to hide behind the mirror along with my transponder for French autoroutes, and I want a cam which does not need a seperate battery charger, and which operates on a 12 volt supply, so it goes live when the key is turned on.

Surely someone makes such a device?
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Mike,

This is what you need, it is very small and compact comes with GPS which is built into the base and seperate bases are available so it can be swapped into another vehicle very easily. Yes it does have a screen but is more for aligning the unit and seting it up than viewing footage. You can specify it with a hardwire kit so it can be wired permanantly into your cars 12v switched supply. There are some cheaper ones on ebay but they are sourced from China whereas this one is a UK supplier who does ship to France if you so wish. This particular model is one of the later ones of this type that has the better chipset that is more resiliant to high temperatures that can build up in cars which in France I am sure you experiance more than we do over here in the UK.

If you have a look on Ebay for 0801 models which were the first generation you can pick these up quite cheap now and have similar accessories available however I would certainly go for one of the latter ones like this 0806 or maybe the 0805.

Hope that helps you Mike as I don't think you will find a better or smaller unit on the market.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-0806-A7- ... d#shpCntId

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-0805-Amb ... 1257492637
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The 0806 model looks to be just what I am after - many thanks! It is not cheap, but does not require any human help to get on with its job, worls for power on/off, and is very compact - should be perfect.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

They look testiculus canine :D . It's a shame that they don't have a rear camera. This is very useful as most stupidity that hurts you begins behind you. If anything stupid is happening in front, you can usually avoid it.

Plus-point for the 806 over the one that I have - I've read on PH that insurance companies in UK really want GPS-enabled evidence to defend you as it costs too much to get experts to analyse the video to get your speed and location.

I'm waiting for the cost of good GPS-enabled twin camera systems to fall below the £50 mark before I buy again - unless the one I have breaks.
Pingu
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Mick

Have a look at this very useful site. You should find all sorts of useful background information and plenty of excellent appraisal videos of different cameras:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 4F24001328
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

blank

Post by littlefeller »

the supply I took from the heated rear screen switch, I don't have a hard top so it made sense for me. mine came with a cig plug and the charging is 5v, so I opened the cig plug up and soldered the wires from my 12v switch supply straight inside the cig plug then put it all back together, comes on with ignition as long as the switch is on. the step down to 5v is inside the cig plug so just wire before the step down, job done :)
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

colb wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-HD-Car-Ve ... 4875e84131

Use one of these in my Kia Sorento the screen folds and will switch on with ignition and start recording without having to press anything.
Mounting is a bit of a big window sticker so you might consider making something up if you go for one of these, cheap but functions ok had mine over a year now.

Colb
hope they work just ordered one not bad price though
peter2b
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

peter2b wrote: hope they work just ordered one not bad price though
peter2b
Let us know when you get it - if it works ok I'll get one too.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

arrived today looks good but I forgot to get a sim card so it wont record yet, good picture though if you plug it into the cig lighter when you turn on the ingnition it starts recording and charging the battery , I will update when the sim arrives
peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just tried it today but I only had a 2 gb sim to use picture looks good picks up the cd I was playing a bit tinny though timed out after 15 mins turns on with ignition off when you turn off ignition, not tried it at night yet, instructions a bit thin but at £10.95 who can complain
peter2b
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

switch the sound off it takes up memory, I use just a 4gb card, films for about an hour and half on hd largest screen setting
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

cheers ,didn't think about the sound
peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

tured sound off but when I go to the menu screen to the timing bit it only lists off, 5 mins , or10 mins I've tried it on off , so when driving it will record for about 5 mins then says sim full, if I set it for 10 mins it records for 10 mins stops till I press the start button then records for another 10 mins and so on , any tips? apart for a bigger sim
peter2b
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

hi peter, try looking for the loop function which will it allow to keep recording over the existing files. then it should never run out of sim space. i hope you have that function. cheers.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

i have mine switched to off and it just keeps going till card full (about 2 - 2 1/2 hours on a 4gb card, so 1gb should be good for half hour or more, this is on the hd setting with max screen size, smaller will give around 3 1/2 hours) you could try lowering the resolution and see if it makes a difference, if yes then the answer is a larger card if you want the higher res.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Thanks for the tips I've set it to 10mins but it seems to record for 10mins then starts up again when I look at the recordings it only has the last 2 recordings ,but as I only work 20 mins from home I will try it on a longer trip
Peter2b
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

just had a butchers at my card, ooops sorry its 8gb not 4, so yes your prob running out of room