My first z3.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Silverx61

Z3 roadster 2.8

My first z3.

Post by Silverx61 »

2 weeks ago purchased a 99 2.8 roadster. So far I absolutely love it! The overall drive and feel of the car is incredible.

Spent the last few days fitting a few bits and bobs just to get the car up to the standard I wanted. Now to clean it to death!

The cars low mileage but has limited service history. Apart from you standard service parts would anybody recommend changing / checking anything else ?

Wheel wise I think the ones fitted as standard although being the 17s look dated. I want to get some multiple spoke one but as of yet cannot settle on a set! Any suggestions welcome !

Last part of the car to fix is the rip on the drivers bolster. I've been quoted £140 + VAT from Surrey trimmers. Has anybody had any experience with these guys? Or any other recommendations? I am based in the Guildford area. Image
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Re: My first z3.

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Welcome to the forum, from just up the road in Woking
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Robz3sport

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Robz3sport »

Very nice, is that chrome around the windscreen?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Apart from driving and enjoying it I would give it a good visual check under the bonnet and check out all the rubber pipes and their clamps any showing signs of splits or cracks should be replaced before they start setting codes and upset your running. It might be worth you getting a decent code reader, service reset gizmo and an airbag reader/reset, loads of old posts on here with recommendations.
Nice to have these to hand when something goes wrong and will save you tons of cash not having to go to a garage to get things done.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Hairycheeks

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Hairycheeks »

Welcome! The cars low mileage, lack of history and that tear in the drivers seat would have thrown up a huge red flag for me. How low is the mileage reading? It may be worth calling a bmw dealership to see if they have any service records for the car
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Hairycheeks wrote:Welcome! The cars low mileage, lack of history and that tear in the drivers seat would have thrown up a huge red flag for me. How low is the mileage reading? It may be worth calling a bmw dealership to see if they have any service records for the car
Hmm, bear in mind that a low mileage car may just have done lots of short journeys. If someone was getting in and out of the car every 10 miles you get a lot more wear than someone that racks up lots of miles doing long journeys.
Hairycheeks

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Hairycheeks »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
Hairycheeks wrote:Welcome! The cars low mileage, lack of history and that tear in the drivers seat would have thrown up a huge red flag for me. How low is the mileage reading? It may be worth calling a bmw dealership to see if they have any service records for the car
Hmm, bear in mind that a low mileage car may just have done lots of short journeys. If someone was getting in and out of the car every 10 miles you get a lot more wear than someone that racks up lots of miles doing long journeys.
That is true my friend, but that wear looks quite bad for a low mileage. Mine has 120000 miles and was used upto 90000 everyday for commuting with no wear.
Silverx61

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Silverx61 »

52k is the mileage.

To be honest it did make me very suspicious! I did a hpi check which guarantees the millage, and pays out if at a later date it appears to not be correct.

The car has one owner before the dealer that I purchased it from. I contacted the bmw garage that registered the car and they have agreed to send me over all the service history that they have for it! I'm not sure what this will include but from the email they said ' it had a very comprehensive service history with ourselves.' So I'm hoping it all adds up.

Also driving the car it doesn't feel like it's done allot of miles. Steering feels tight, no knocks bangs or rattles! Also other areas that would show signs of wear such as the steering wheel are mint!
Silverx61

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Silverx61 »

Also.. it is chrome around the windscreen, has a few bits of chrome like around the brake light housing on the boot, also on the front grill and door seals. Is that not normal?
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Have never heard of chrome on rubber seals before??
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

i have seen this kind of wear on low mileage seats before, some drivers just kinda roll out of the car leading to wear on the bolster :lol: I had a sierra with the same wear (60000 miles and I know the driver had it from new before I brought it) mine didn't have a service history either, but I wasn't really that bothered, don't think I have ever asked about a cars history before I buy them, just have a GOOD look around and under then test drive, sometimes really small things can put me off, recently I was looking at a car for my mrs, looked under the bonnet and noticed the vin plate was same colour as car but the rivets were silver, just closed the bonnet and made my getaway :lol:
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

Silverx61 wrote:Also.. it is chrome around the windscreen, has a few bits of chrome like around the brake light housing on the boot, also on the front grill and door seals. Is that not normal?
I seem to remember a post on here a while back, was there not a chrome pack available from new or am I just getting old :lol:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

littlefeller wrote:some drivers just kinda roll out of the car leading to wear on the bolster
I agree, they are often persons which one might term "of more generous proportions" :D
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Rafolian wrote:Have never heard of chrome on rubber seals before??
I'm guessing he meant sills rather than seals!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Check for rust/movement on the differential spot welds under the boot carpet. The knowledge base has a thread on things to know/check when buying a Z3. Also check on the roadster.org knowledge base. £140 sounds reasonable to me for a pukka repair to the seat bolster. Yes, there was a 'chrome line' optional extra.
Glad you're loving your Z3, I've had mine for over 3 years and still love it to bits. I think my Alpina multi spoke softline wheels are special, and rare too!Check them out.
All the best,
Cheers,
Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

littlefeller wrote:
Silverx61 wrote:Also.. it is chrome around the windscreen, has a few bits of chrome like around the brake light housing on the boot, also on the front grill and door seals. Is that not normal?
I seem to remember a post on here a while back, was there not a chrome pack available from new or am I just getting old :lol:
Yes there was, l think that Z3 has the "Chrome Line Exterior" option pack.
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Check your door mirrors, probably siezed as mine where, if anyone knocks them they will
snap off like a carrot because of corrosion & are hard to get replacements. Remove mirror
glass & separate the 2 halves of the body which exposes the siezed/rusty spring & drench
in WD40 & then gingerly try to get it moving again. Be very careful as the alloy casting
is very weak & will snap easily. Managed to do both of mine & then smothered the workings
in grease. If you get them working OK you wont need to remove them from the door which
entails removing the door card to unplug wiring.
There's a few good posts on here with pictures.

Bob
Silverx61

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Silverx61 »

I'm guessing he meant sills rather than seals!
Indeed!

Have just put the vin into http://www.bmwvin.com/ and it has a chrome line pack interior and exterior package.

So far have had the car up on the ramps and given it a good visual inspection. All looks pretty good, and have ordered all service parts for the weekend.

Wheel wise after seeing a picture of an almost identical Z3 with them on I have decided to go for the BMW Rondell wheels.
Check your door mirrors, probably siezed as mine where, if anyone knocks them they will
snap off like a carrot because of corrosion & are hard to get replacements. Remove mirror
glass & separate the 2 halves of the body which exposes the siezed/rusty spring & drench
in WD40 & then gingerly try to get it moving again. Be very careful as the alloy casting
is very weak & will snap easily. Managed to do both of mine & then smothered the workings
in grease. If you get them working OK you wont need to remove them from the door which
entails removing the door card to unplug wiring.
There's a few good posts on here with pictures.
Cheers Bob mine are corroded solid so thats a job for the weekend.

From getting the spec sheet apparently it also has a LSD which I am pleased about. Are they common on these?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you want to know how to remove the mirrors without having to twist them on their axis at the base just ask. It may save you having to spend a packet looking for replacements. The mirror cover is made of plastic, and if the mirrors are frozen solid, they will break if you try twisting them to get access to the two bolts securing the base to the door. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Mine's a 2.2 SPORT & has LSD. I think it was standard on "Sport" models but it may also be standard on 2.8s.

Bob
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

From getting the spec sheet apparently it also has a LSD which I am pleased about. Are they common on these?

The cars low mileage but has limited service history. Apart from you standard service parts would anybody recommend changing / checking anything else ?
LSD is very common on UK 2.8's, it was fitted as standard :D .

Given the age and milage of your car I would suggest the following for your "to do" list, if they don't fall into your standard service items.

Brake fluid and anti-freeze unless there is evidence of them being changed in the last 2 years.

Check the condition of your space saver wheel. It is nicely tucked away under the boot in a plastic tray that collects water and doesn't drain well. The rim on mine was badly corroded and could never have been used. Look for a replacement from more recent 3 series model if you need one.

In addition to the normal checks on coolant ,hoses check the two rubber boots between the air filter and inlet manifold. They often split in the concertina sections and being after the MAF sensor upset the fuel air mixture.

On your longer term "to check" list I would suggest:

LSD and Gearbox oil, "sealed for life" but after 16 years refreshing it would them would not go amiss.

Check the condition of your alternator/water pump and aux belts. They are supposed to be good for 100,000 miles. Mine were well tired at 86,000. Age as well as mileage need to be taken into account.

The same applied to suspension dampers, bushes and mountings.

There is plenty of information on this site, and many people willing to offer good advice. If you have any questions search the knowledge base, and if you don't find an answer, ask away.
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Vince70 »

You should be able to take the mirrors off without removing the door panel as when you remove the glass you will see 4 screws which hold the cover in place... Remove the screws and it will reveal the mirror skeleton also there's another four screws that hold the mirror motor in place if you remove these you can then remove the four wires from the motor as it saves removing the door panel..

Be careful with the mirror as I've bottled out moving my seized passenger one as its bloody expensive to buy a second hand one if you break it..

I changed my drivers mirror the other day as although it looked perfect a previous owner had repaired it and it wouldn't lock in place and when I removed it I found the shaft had been stuck together with fibreglass and car body filer plus Micky metal and had to be careful cutting it off as the wire was stuck inside plus the mirror cover had been superglued together.

Is your car a Schwarz II Z3.. If it is I found the best paint for the job if you need to paint the mirror bases is poundland black aerosol believe or not then a coat of lacquer also from poundland.. Use a good quality etch primer though.. I also used it on my new drivers mirror cover and after a fine wet and dry (2000 grade) and a fine compound it came out absolutely perfect with a mirror finish plus I now have a mirror that moves perfect but it looked like the second hand one I bought was completely rust free with no corosion around the mechanism or base and came off a 2002 model..

I did also try the correct Schwarz II from halfords but the paint didn't have much pigment and it came out more grey than black so it's a case of cheaper is best..