Car cover or not?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 »

Hi

Just moved from an house with a double garage to a place without any garage at all to store my Z. So i was wondering, I got a polyester car cover which im using for the first time at the moment. I cant keep the car clean at all times when i take the cover over, so im a little worried about scratches, and condensation, since the cover isnt totally waterproof, just water repellent. Is it just better to keep the cover off then? Anyone? :o
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by Gazza »

I would leave the cover off.

I have used covers in the past and any long term use can cause micro blisters in the paint.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

When I had a leaky soft top I used the half cover (waterproof) by classic additions:
https://www.classicadditions.com/car-co ... -half.html

The straps help you pull it tight and there is minimal contact with the paint, just where the straps come down and a bit over the bootlid. So a quick wipe of those areas keeps scratches to a minimum (and can be further helped by polishing those areas more frequently.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

That's a bad move!
Just watched one of those house hunting programmes on TV where the 'expert' was getting really frustrated with the guy looking to buy a house since he was putting more priority on the garage / workshop facilities for his Land Rovers than the living accommodation.
I guess there are several on here who understand where he is coming from; well perhaps not for the Land Rovers!
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Just got home from work and found the cover half way off, since one of the straps wasnt secured enough :bawl: Been raining like hell here today. The top keeps the rain off, but there is a sealing that is leaking, right over the passenger seat. Known issue?
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

thompy93 wrote:Just got home from work and found the cover half way off, since one of the straps wasnt secured enough :bawl: Been raining like hell here today. The top keeps the rain off, but there is a sealing that is leaking, right over the passenger seat. Known issue?
Yes, common issue. Unfortunately the rubbers get hard over time and don't seal so well. I found this out a couple of weeks back when I got a wet butt :)

Gummi Pflege is what I use to restore the rubber. I used this last week and had no leaks in this weekends downpour. I probably need to do this proactively every 6 months now.

Si.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

siwilson wrote:
thompy93 wrote:Just got home from work and found the cover half way off, since one of the straps wasnt secured enough :bawl: Been raining like hell here today. The top keeps the rain off, but there is a sealing that is leaking, right over the passenger seat. Known issue?
Yes, common issue. Unfortunately the rubbers get hard over time and don't seal so well. I found this out a couple of weeks back when I got a wet butt :)

Gummi Pflege is what I use to restore the rubber. I used this last week and had no leaks in this weekends downpour. I probably need to do this proactively every 6 months now.

Si.

Thanks, ordered one from micks garage. No permanent solution, except changing seals?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You can adjust the hooks that latch the roof into place to tighten up the joint.
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

I had to thread the hook to get it tighter. First it was too tight, so the rubber squished abit, so it still leaked. Took it one turn out, and seems it fits like a glove now, but didnt have time for testing it properly. Ive ordered the Gummi pflege anyway, just to be safe. 8-)
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by TomH84 »

IMHO you don't need to cover a Zed. Many other things will kill it before the rain does. Just keep her very clean and waxed. Once a month is my routine. Also worth treating the roof annually with Renovo protector - great stuff, just keep it off the seats/trim etc. A cover is only useful i think if you like somewhere with a tree sap problem or similar. That can be a pain to wash / polish out all the time.

If you've got a leaking roof, then best to work on that problem. The Zed should be watertight. Maybe some rubber restorer to the seals and, as other suggest, some adjustment to the latches?

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

TomH84 wrote:IMHO you don't need to cover a Zed. Many other things will kill it before the rain does. Just keep her very clean and waxed. Once a month is my routine. Also worth treating the roof annually with Renovo protector - great stuff, just keep it off the seats/trim etc. A cover is only useful i think if you like somewhere with a tree sap problem or similar. That can be a pain to wash / polish out all the time.

If you've got a leaking roof, then best to work on that problem. The Zed should be watertight. Maybe some rubber restorer to the seals and, as other suggest, some adjustment to the latches?

Tom
I hate seeing my Z dirty, so I wash "her" once a week perhaps, and polished and waxed once a month. Also washed, cleaned and used protection on the soft top twice this summer already, so the water always peels off. Its only the rubber parts on the passenger side that is leaking as far as i know. Adjusted the latches and waiting for rubber restorer as we speak, but it was extreme weather the last few nights when i used the cover. Made some scratches that ill take away with Autoglym paint renovator :cry:

Can recommend Autoglym Convertible Soft Top Clean & Protect. Works like a charm.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I have had my Zed for over 3 years now in Spain. It goes thro ' the auto car wash every 3 or 4 weeks and lives in the driiveway (the carport's for the motorbikes!). When it does rain in Spain it's usually torrential and never had a drop get in.
I have 2 car covers, one which I used to use on a previous 944 S2 Porsche and that did more harm than good to the paintwork, with the wind and condensation. Bottom line, never used a cover on the zed in over 3 years and paintwork still mint for a 17 year old car!
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Well. The the test i did tonight worked, and Couldnt see any water. But no cover could save the car from the flood that hit the house tonight. Luckily it was parked Elsewhere :D
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

When I'm not driving her she lives in my men's shed nice and dry
Peter2b
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Well. Tonight it happened again. Used gummi pfledge and tighten ed the latches. Heavy rain came today and went Straigth through on the passende side. What did i do wrong? I trusted you guys :bawl:
Work some more with the pfledge and tighten more i guess?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

In my experience whilst there is a lot of debate about the need to "condition" the rubber seals above the doors, the more common cause of water entry in that area are the "bungs" at the top of the windscreen pillars - the leaking water tending to travel along the side and drip on the side of the seats.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 12#p345112
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Thanks. Will take a look into it asap as we are expecting heavy rain the next few days. Just gotta try and fail to get it right. Atleast you opened up some possibilites to fix it.
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

I've found a plastic cover can give the duco micro scratches over time right where the corners, edges rub against the cover.... also when sunny, it can sweat underneath.... which is not good if moisture sits under there awhile.

The other problem is when you put the cover on when the car is dirty, then you have grime rubbing across the duco as well....

So, I've just tended to wash it more regularly, keep it in the shade as best you can but not under trees that drop ****... and when clean, whack the cover on.

If feel your pain as I love a clean Zed!!

Elwood
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

elwood158 wrote:I've found a plastic cover can give the duco micro scratches over time right where the corners, edges rub against the cover.... also when sunny, it can sweat underneath.... which is not good if moisture sits under there awhile.

The other problem is when you put the cover on when the car is dirty, then you have grime rubbing across the duco as well....

So, I've just tended to wash it more regularly, keep it in the shade as best you can but not under trees that drop ****... and when clean, whack the cover on.

If feel your pain as I love a clean Zed!!

Elwood
I think I managed to seal a small hole in the rubber (fig 3) with a tiny amout of terostat. So hopefully the car cover wont be used again :) Since the car is waxed and polished reguarly I can do a non-touch fast wash since the water just peels off. Just have to use compressed air to get all the water drops off, since they put some limestone/chalk in the water which stays behind on the car if the water dries on it, leaving white circles all over :roll:

thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Hi again

As the weather is starting to get colder Im struggling with some condesation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kr6qpXxJCo
If you watch this video I got the same issue, with humid air (not any water coming in though) getting in there. Is the seal supposed to be glued to the soft top all the way? It doesnt leak water, but i can push my fingers through it :roll: