Replacing spark plugs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Replacing spark plugs

Post by lightning »

How easy/difficult is it on the 3.0? Most other maintenance items are easy on this model, but l took off the engine cover and cannot even see them.
I assume they have individual coil packs.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Replacing spark plugs

Post by johnz3 »

Going to do that myself in a couple of weeks time so would appreciate peoples advice. Thanks
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

No too difficult a job, just be methodical. The 3.0 uses individual coil packs so with the top cover removed start at one end and work along to the other. The coil packs unplug and IIRC there are two bolts/nuts holding them in place, there is also a separate earth wire that needs to be disconnected. The coil pack nearest the bulk head is tight to come out but does come out. Once the coil pack is out of the way just change the plugs as usual.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Thanks Brian
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

One of the better youtube videos doing it on a BMW M54 engine - but not a Z3 so suspect the air filter box is placed differently in the Z3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjAojOoi_ZQ
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Thanks for the replies. Looks easy enough after doing the same job on my Ferrari Mondial t. That was really scary but in the end not difficult.

Can somebody tell me the correct plug type? I looked on Ebay and most are offering NGK, but more than one type depending on the seller!
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

I have a 3.0lt

It takes 6 x NGK BKR6EQUP platinum spark plugs.

The job is easier if you use a long tube plug socket. If you use a normal plug socket and extension (like in the video) then the socket tends to stay on the spark plug when you've tightened the new spark plug.

Take a look at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WT-3-8-DR-LON ... 20df7f20ce
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Vince70 »

I found doing the spark plugs on my M44 really easy as BMW have fitted a coil pack lead removal tool under the cover and each lead is actually numbered and I believe in the boot toolkit there's a plug removal socket but I wanted to use my Halfords Pro range socket as I rarely get the chance to use it lol..

You have to give it to BMW you might not get much in the way of toys for your money when buying a car but not many manufacturers would supply tools for ease of maintenance at the end of the day..

I don't know if it's right or not but when I refit my new plugs I always put a very very small amount of copper slip on the treads of the new plugs so as when I want to change them again in the future you know you should be able to get them out again without finding them welded into the head..
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I changed the plugs today (3.0 engine) and it took about half an hour.

The engine is very well designed, and the job was easy to do. The old plugs looked reasonable but l think they were the originals.
The car has only done 55,000 miles and they are supposed to be changed at 60,000.