Cracked rear screen - temporary repair

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cracked rear screen - temporary repair

Post by alec.m »

Put the top down this morning and "crack"!!!! A 4inch vertical split in the rear screen. Can anyone recommend some good clear tape, not too expensive, to keep the weather out till I decide what to do. I`m thinking of a new top rather than a a new screen as the stitching is very worn and the canvas is looking well past its best.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Re: Cracked rear screen - temporary repair

Post by Althulas »

I used some extra thick tape from B&Q on my old Rover cabriolet as a temporary measure. The tape was rubbery so was ideal but only had it on for a short while, I'm sure it was less than a fiver. If you roughed the area up I wonder if a thick bead of outdoor silicone sealer would suffice?
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
z3steve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by z3steve »

I used heavy duty clear duct tape from Toolstation (47305; £5.05) and it worked and stuck a treat. Free delivery on £10 spend.

Steve
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks both of you, have a Toolstation and B&Q nearby. Job for today!
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

I used clear Fablon on mine over the whole rear window, got it for a couple of quid from 'The Range'

It never leaked, folded down easy and prevented window from splitting any more.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

MarkAP68 wrote:I used clear Fablon on mine over the whole rear window, got it for a couple of quid from 'The Range'

It never leaked, folded down easy and prevented window from splitting any more.
That sounds great. Done mine now with some clear tape. Getting in touch with soft tops in Croydon soon for a price for a new top. Going to change colour. Someone on here got a blue one on an atlanta bleu and it looked great.
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Same happened to my rear screen about 3 months ago. I used clear stickly backed plastic (I know it as transpaseal) sourced from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... ge_o08_s00. Cleaned both sides of the screen with meths and fitted a piece about 12" square on inside and outside, rubbing it down well. Only a week before my new hood was fitted but I think it would have lasted several weeks.

I used Soft Tops in Croydon for my new hood and after some research asked them to make up a pocketed version for me. If you look on BMW TIS there is an explanation of why the pockets were added (basically to help with folding and reduce wear). The price is a bit higher but I felt it was worth it. I am very impressed with the quality of the hood materials and its make up. It does not have the stiffener over the rear screen (which was on my original) so I use a length of pipe insulation, tucked tight into the screen when folding to help prevent creases.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

roadvoyager1 wrote:I used Soft Tops in Croydon for my new hood and after some research asked them to make up a pocketed version for me. If you look on BMW TIS there is an explanation of why the pockets were added (basically to help with folding and reduce wear). The price is a bit higher but I felt it was worth it. I am very impressed with the quality of the hood materials and its make up. It does not have the stiffener over the rear screen (which was on my original) so I use a length of pipe insulation, tucked tight into the screen when folding to help prevent creases.
I had wondered about the pocket. I think I would specify that too. As you have had yours done recently can I ask you how much you paid?
Cheers Alec
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Had new black hood fitted 16th July 2015 and paid £400. Took him about two and a half hours. Hope that helps.
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Had new black hood fitted 16th July 2015 and paid £400. Took him about two and a half hours. Hope that helps.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

roadvoyager1 wrote:Had new black hood fitted 16th July 2015 and paid £400. Took him about two and a half hours. Hope that helps.
That's brilliant, I'll be calling them shortly. Thanks!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

alec.m wrote:
roadvoyager1 wrote:Had new black hood fitted 16th July 2015 and paid £400. Took him about two and a half hours. Hope that helps.
That's brilliant, I'll be calling them shortly. Thanks!
its a good price, if you take into account how much you would have to pay for an oem rear screen 8-) and you get a new roof to boot :)
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

alec.m wrote:its a good price, if you take into account how much you would have to pay for an oem rear screen 8-) and you get a new roof to boot :)
That`s my thoughts exactly. Booked in Wednesday morning. I`ll post some pics when it`s done.