62%
No Way...
38%

Total votes: 42

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Need help for interior color

Post by Inferno »

i found one Tanin Red (if i am correct) interior (seats+panels) in good price and i am about to get it. problem is i am not sure about the color combo with atlanta blue and black dash/roof. i found some pics of a sample car.
any thoughts?

Actual seats i am getting:
http://s34.carcdn.gr/5416/5416480_0_b.jpg
http://s24.carcdn.gr/5416/5416480_1_b.jpg

Sample Car
http://www.manchestermotorcompany.co.uk ... z3-92.html
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Need help for interior color

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Hmm, not a good combo. Red interior needs a black, silver or (at a push) red car. Blue cars really only suit black or beige.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

hmmmm i thought so... i don't know i am 50-50
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Do you think i will have any compatibility issues? My car is a 1996 with electric heated stendard seats

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i just noticed something weird... if i understend correctly from the door panel... this is from an RHD car???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

if you like it then go for it, a few weeks ago i found a site that sold fake crocodile skin for car seats, looks ace but again it would depend on the individual.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Inferno wrote:i just noticed something weird... if i understend correctly from the door panel... this is from an RHD car???
I don't think there is any difference in the door panels themselves due to the side the driver sits. The only difference is that the driver's side has the mirror controls, but the hole for them is in both door panels.

However, one thing to consider is that they seem to be from a coupe rather than a roadster and so don't have the seatbelt clip.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

****... i didn't noticed that... should i buy them? or not??

i found this guide to retrofit seat guides: https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z3-s ... anging.50/ author mentions also that Coupe seats are comfier than Roadster seats. Is it true?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think they are the same seats, so the comfort is the same. If the price is good, I'd buy them, retrofit the seat guides and recolour them using a Furniture Clinic kit.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Thanks for the info. i already made the first deposit to the seller. i also learned that if they are removed from a 2001-2002 Coupe i will have to cut and solder the cables because last Z3's used different cable connectors/sockets
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Need help for interior color

Post by Inferno »

i love this mod, but i have a silly question, do you think i have to remove the leather cover to install the male snaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yes...you will need to remove the seat leather to fit the male part. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

So this is how it looks, photo quality is very poor because on the lighting (ita actually looks a lot better than the pics), but you get the idea.
Not the best move i ever did, when you sit inside it's perfect but when you put the roof down the combo with the car color is weird. Anyway i knew this from the beginning but i had to take it mostly because it's really rare to find Z3M/Sportseats in Greece (ebay was not an option since almost none will ship outside his country). Next step to dye it black or purchase new Z3M black leather covers. Driver's seat has the fire extinguisher housing, now i will have to buy the OEM fire extinguisher.

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'd go for re-dying rather than getting covers. 99% of the covers I've seen fitted look terrible.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

also the price difference is HUGE, 900€ for the new covers vs 110€ for the dying kit...

However i don't know how i will manage to dye the panels (because of the handle on the panel, it covers a part of the red leather) and i think i must again remove the seats and even worse, separate them from their metallic bases to do the best possible work, otherwise i will end up spraying the side plastics where the movement button is mounted..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I actually like Red and blue together to be honest - I contemplated it a lot with my M
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

While installing the new seats i didn't disconnect the battery, i don't know if it's relative or not but the airbag light came on. I visited earlier today the mechanic to diagnose the fault. It sees BOTH belt pretensioners faulty and the error cannot be erased... he made me uninstall the seats, swap my old pretensioners to the new seats and visit him again tomorrow to try to erase the fault again. Is there any chance it could be something else? My old pretensioners and their cables was working fine, the new seat occupation sensor works fine we tested it today, could it be anything else?

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Problem solved both pretensioners were off obviously the seats came off a destroyed coupe i installed my old pretensioners but i didn't catch the garage shop open to erase the faults i will visit them again on monday.. i must get carsoft 6.5 for things like this...

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

the ebay airbag light reset tool would get rid of it easily
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Does anyone knows how i will be 100% certain what colour and leather type the new seats are? I want to buy a duing kit at some point to fix a small "damage" in the classic point where you enter and exit the car, and i want to be sure. I am pretty sure it's Nappa leather, Tanin Red, but not 100% sure
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The best way to get an absolute colour match is to send off a small swatch of the leather to your supplier - you can probably cut a small piece from under the seat where there is a bit of excess.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

that's EXACTLY what they said! are you working there? :P

regardless of that i was just wondering if you can understand from the pics the leather type and the color.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

leave it red! they call it the superman combo!! very popular on m135i's brand new, colour choice.
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

I'm not terribly keen on the two-tone interiors; I think they look a bit gauche and detract from the sheer class of the Z3. Mine is black with tan interior (like my 944 was) which works very well and makes the cockpit a lot less gloomy and claustrophobic if it too was black. Not sure about the spotted hide effect however... :?
Antm72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Antm72 »

I used liquid leather for my dyes they have loads of known colours on the system i imagine the red is a fairly stock colour rather tan there being loads of different reds.
I opted for a full redye the known beige i used oregon beige was a great match.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Antm72 wrote:I used liquid leather for my dyes they have loads of known colours on the system i imagine the red is a fairly stock colour rather tan there being loads of different reds.
I opted for a full redye the known beige i used oregon beige was a great match.
Oddly they have "forgot" BMW Tanin Red. I bought a big bottle of it 2 years ago when I upgraded my interior.... Last month knowing I have some seats to refurbish I went to buy some more only to be told they don't have BMW Tanin Red but could make it if I sent them a sample... after a number of puzzled emails back and forth between us I eventually took a piece of red leather, dyed it with the original stuff they sent me and then sent it back to them for them to match ?!?!?! :head:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal