Roof Top needs small repair

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Roof Top needs small repair

Post by Inferno »

roof in the top left corner (red circle in the pic) has been slightly separated from the "plastic housing" or whatever, so now i have wind noise after 80kph. Do you know any good glue for roof tops to fix this, or should i visit a pro?

andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Roof Top needs small repair

Post by andy & fonz »

hi
try silicone but make sure you clean the area fully with white spirit or cellulose thinners first, or do what I do and never have the roof up
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

isn't silicone a bit too strong? i need something that can be easily removed and cleaned in case i ever install a new roof top
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

hi
you could also use number plate fixing pads double sided sticky things very cheap, held my gear indicator on my motorcycle handle bars at speeds up to ermm a lot, also if that bar I can see is steel drill through the soft trop material and into the frame and screw the fabric to the frame with small self tappers and cup washers as 1930s hoods were held in place
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

I got a glue... i hope i won't destroy the roof

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

ok, i fixed the roof problem, but apparently this wasn't the case, i still have wind noise especially in cross winds, i took a closer look and the driver's window is not hugging the roof seal properly. in the end i know i will have to buy new seals, but is there any other solution i didn't try? What about the soft top clamps? Are they easy to adjust?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Remove the door card and use the height stop adjustment screw to make the height change so that it seale against the rubber trim.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Thanks, i will check it asap
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

So, installing the new seats and door cards was a good chance to adjust window height. Both windows are now completely sealing with the roof but the wind whistle noise is still there. I did some tests as i was driving and looks like it comes from the little triangle window where it seals with the windshield pillar. It's like the door isn't closing completely.

Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I had exactly the same problem when I bought my car. All it took was to adjust the angle of tilt of the window. If you have a look on the underside of the door, you will see two bolts that attach the ends of window runners to the door: one at the rear end, and one about a third in from the front. If I remember correctly, the one at the front goes through a slot, the one at the back through a hole. What you need to do is to loosen (loosen only, do not remove) those two bolts before adjusting the tilt of the window. Tighten the bolts when best position is achieved. You might however have to reset the window height in conjunction with this adjustment. It did the trick for me and cured completely the wind noise from the A-pillar. Moreover, I have also gotten used to not pushing on the window to close the door, for fear of messing up that adjustment. I always push the door with the handle instead.
Hope that helps,

Boosh.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

This is how the noise began in the first place, i messed with these two bolts.. at the time i didn't know what they were for.. so i loose the bolts and then i tilt towards the car the small triangle window?

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The best way to resolve the problem is to first adjust the triangular window so that it seals well with the car frame. them to adjust the main window rear channel so that it is parallel to the front channel by using the window in the lowered position to ensure they are aligned. Finally adjust the height so the main window seals at the top. The triangular window is mostly adjustable by moving the "foot" outwards - away from the car side or inwards - towards the inside of the car. This affects the top point of the triangle and the way it seals to the door frame rubbers. The rear channel must then be aligned at the same angle by loosening the rear channel "foot" bolt and then in the manner I described above to ensure that both channels are at the same angle, and also that they are parallel to the edges of the glass of the main window.
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

ok , i think i get it, problem is i have to remove the door card again, it is EXTREMELY difficult to install them back, it took me like 2 hours yesterday to install the new cards. just one more question, what do you mean by adjusting the "foot"?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Inferno wrote:ok , i think i get it, problem is i have to remove the door card again, it is EXTREMELY difficult to install them back, it took me like 2 hours yesterday to install the new cards. just one more question, what do you mean by adjusting the "foot"?
The door cards are difficult to install if you don't remove the window rubber, but if you remove the rubber and fit it to the door card first, then fit it to the door, it's a lot easier.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You don't have to remove the door cards again - wel, maybe not. The "foot" can be adjusted by loosening the bolt under the door... that will allow the bottom of the channel to be moved slightly outwards or inwards... if you move it outwards, the top point of the triangular window will move inwards towards the inside of the car and seal against the door frame rubbers more tightly... there are two bolts under the door one on the rear channel foot and the other on the triangular window foot....
Hope that clears up what I'm trying to tell you.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

ok thanks, i mentioned the door cards because Boosh mentioned that if i mess with the 2 bolts, i might have to remove the door cards again to re-adjust the window height.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Don't remove the bolts completely... you can just loosen them enough to move them by sliding them inwards / outwards / forwards or backwards.... Even if you removed them you can't adjust things any more than that anyhow, because they wouldn't be able to find the nut part which is welded to the foot of the channel. Only reason to remove the door cards will be to slightly loosen the two bolts which hold the triangular window to the door fame at the bottom of the triangular glass. Doing that will help the adjustment somewhat.
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

ok, you can see me confused because i have already messed with them and i don't think that they can actually adjust something, they don't move inwards or outwards, they are like any other bolt.... on the other hand the noise started when i messed with them the first time, so this can't be a coincidence
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

They can move...the hole in the bottom of the channel foot is larger than the bolt... so in fact it's the channel that can be moved... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i will check it tonight and let you know
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Finally! The two bolts did the trick and combined with the height adjustment i did yesterday the noise is completely gone, the car is quiter than ever! However i washed the car and still had some water drops coming in the cabin. I tried to adjust the roof hatches or clamps i dont know they call it, but i don't get how. I see a small allen bolt but it won't unscrew at all

This is the screw i am talking about, but it won't unscrew at all! it's stuck i think..->https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z3-r ... stment.19/
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The water issue is easily resolved. It comes in at the top where the roof seals to the top of the windscreen pillar. There is a small (30mm diameter) round flatish spot on the windscreen rubber at the top. You need to get a couple of flat rubber pieces (a bicycle inner tube cut up will do) and stick them with contact glue to those faces on the left and right side. This will provide the extra contact area required to seal the roof to the windscreen at those points. If you do a search in the Z3 Roadster posts on "water leak at the top of the windscreen" you will find many articles on the subject. It's a common problem with these aging cars. :wink:

Try reading this......

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=254611
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i don't have water leaking fromt the top of the windscreen, that's not why i want to readjust the soft top. i have water leaking from the top of both windows, where the seal with the rubbers, it's not something disturbing it is a lot smaller leaking than i used to have before you help me in this thread. The reason i want to readjust the soft top latches is because from what i measured the latches aren't equally adjusted, passenger's latch is more "stiff"
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Sorry, I misunderstood. You may need to remove the door cards and use the height stop adjustment screw to sort that out then.
Removing the door cards is easier if you use a strong fork to lever the plastic clips out of their holes in the door. Also, it provides support on both sides of the clip. Simply bend the two inner tines of the fork outwards so you can get the plastic clip between them then lever the door card away from the door... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

ok thanks, i will try that again, but i have already adjust the windows to a very high level, i know where the drops are coming from, the rubbers have shrinked over the years and they have made one little hole at the point where the "front" rubber meets with the small "middle" rubber. That happened in both sides. i will buy the famous Wurth Gummi to treat them. What i want is if you know a way to unscrew the stuck allen screw (at least i think it's an allen) on the soft top latches mainly to readjust the top since the right latch is differently adjusted than the left.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The adjustment is done by loosening the locking nut on the "hook" then screwing the hook into it's housing a turn or two and then locking the position with the nut again. That will pull the roof to the windscreen tighter. You do the reverse to slacken off the tension if you want...
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

ok, thanks, i will give another try, the problem is that the screw is stuck, it won't unscrew and i am afraid of jamming it...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you loosen the nut on the hook first, it'll take pressure off the screw... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

sorry i might be very stupid, but what nut??
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My apology... I have just been to check mine... I seem to have thought there was a locking nut on the hook. You are right there is a locking screw. If you take a pair of pliers, and gently wiggle / turn the hook as if you were screwing it in and out, then find the center spot of the little bit of play, you should be able to undo the screw...
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Ok i will try again tonight and let you know!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Use some "penetrating oil" like WD40 on them first... may help to loosen it up a bit..
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

already tried this, no luck..
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Oh my I aint the only one with a roof problem i need to find out what actually holds the roof down at the side on the front, i have been told that its plastic clips and they are broken so my top is lifting on that corner I glued it down with tiger glue but its starting come apart again, so as I am having the roof replaced with new material, but need to find out about these clips, dont want to glue down a new top!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

Same here, fortunately mine is not lifting just the clips are cracked, I expect it is all down to the age of the plastic.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The plastic strips - not clips - were factory fitted. If you're replacing the soft top those strips will likely be replaced at the same time if needed.
If you read through the link below, it will give you a clear understanding of how the soft top is fixed to the car....
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/str/str.html
"Normal is overrated"

wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Southernboy a cracking link many thanks my friend

Cheers
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Southernboy is the man.. i finally managed to equally adjust the roof hooks last weekend but i forgot to post it here. For some reason the right hook was 360 degrees more loose than the other. Roof seals perfectly now

wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

I finally scraped enough money and bought a replacement hood from monsoon, I then contacted Vince Webber who is based just outside Tiverton, he was excellent had the car back the next day very reasonably priced.

Cheers

Ray