Harry Fairbairn Glasgow

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Hairycheeks

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Harry Fairbairn Glasgow

Post by Hairycheeks »

Got my zed booked in here for an inspection 2 service, £361, firstly is it worth the money, and has anyone ever had any problems with these guys? Cheers.
knighthawk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Harry Fairbairn Glasgow

Post by knighthawk »

Not worth the money :oops:
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Easy to do yourself. I can do an inspection 2 service on my 3.0 Z3 in about two hours. It does not look like it when you open the bonnet, but it's the easiest car to service that l have ever owned.

All you really need is a set of drive on ramps to raise the front of the car. Or some other way to get to the sump plug. Air filter change takes under a minute. Oil filter about two minutes and the design means you don't even spill any oil.
Brake fluid change is dead easy with a pressure bleeding kit such as the Sealey one.

You could buy the ramps, bleeding kit, oil filter socket and service kit for under £200. Then you'll have all the kit ready for next time, when it will cost you under £100.
yme402

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by yme402 »

Harry Fairbairn is Arnold Clark. Apparently BMW will not allow the Arnold Shark name to be linked to their franchise. Cannot for the life of me think why........?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

To give you some comparison, Audi Main Dealers charge £309 for a major service on a 2.0 car over 3-years old. Your service will most likely include all filters, plugs and engine oil - & a general "check over". A brake fluid change will normally be extra and from a BMW main dealer and is likely to cost at least £70. What constitutes "good value" is really down to individual owners. Main dealer parts will be top quality.

I don't think an Inspection 2 will include things like coolant change, diff and gearbox oil changes and new fuel filter. I would guess the main dealer costs for all these to be at least another £200.

If you went down the DIY route you could save almost £300 which would almost buy a new soft top from Croydon Soft Tops. :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

No way if just for inspection 2.... if you can't do it yourself just get a decent indi to do it - one of the £99 service ones - your car doesn't need anything special that you cant pick up from halfords or euro car parts
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal