Advice needed on replacing petrol tank straps.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Advice needed on replacing petrol tank straps.

Post by Acousticplayer »

Hi All.My 2.8 has been virtually laid up for the last 4 years and I am just in the process of bringing her back to life.One thing I have to do is replace the badly corroded tank straps.I know a number of members here have done theirs and I have done a search of the forums but have been unable to find a definitive answer to the question.

"" Can the straps be replaced without major dismantling ""

I have seen talk of removing the diff and lowering the rear axle.Some say it can be done with everything in situ.

Can anyone advise please?

Many thanks.
A job worth doing is worth doing well.
z3lowey

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Advice needed on replacing petrol tank straps.

Post by z3lowey »

I'll be interested in any help/advice too, mine were an advisory last MOT

What would a garage charge for this?
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Same here, advisory on last mot. As I'm in France, I've got two years until the next one, but I might as well get on with it before something else crops up. At the mot station, the guy showed me said straps and said that a good spraying of WD40 the previous day would help. Then it was just a case of undoing the nut on one end, and unhooking the other end. Access didn't seem too difficult, IIRC. Could any wise person with experience shed some light?
Thanks,

Boosh.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here you go - draining and removing the tamk.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

Hi Southernboy,Thanks for that.Unfortunately,whilst interesting,the write up does not answer the question except it does appear to suggest that the left hand strap can be easily removed without much problem.The write up is for the removal of the tank from the car,something I am not contemplating.By the time the writer of the article gets round to removing the straps he has already removed the rear axle and drive shaft.I am hoping this would not be necessary just to remove the supporting straps.

I am sure someone on this forum has done this job and at least three members and probably more would be grateful to hear from them.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome buddy - but I can't see you getting new straps in plus padding without dropping the tank. Perhaps it's sufficient to let it rest on the axle and squeeze things through. Hopefully someone will come along with your answer.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I have replaced the straps without dropping the tank. My car is up on stands now so will take a look this weekend to see how accessible they are. It was several years ago when I did it.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

Thanks Deano,look forward to hearing.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Had a look today. You need to drop the rear subframe. The straps bolt towards the rear of the tank and need to be lowered /hinged forwards. At the front of the fuel tank the straps hook into a bracket. Fuel tank stays put but subframe needs to be removed.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

Hi Deano,thanks for that.

Not good news then. Not a job I can tackle myself.
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

Hi All.This is an old post but I thought I would update it as it may help someone who is struggling with an advisory .
I can confirm it is not possible to replace the petrol tank straps without lowering the sub frame.

However there is a work around.
There are two straps,one large and one small.The small one is on the left and the large on the right.At the moment I have replaced only the large but the same applies to the smaller one,although I think it may be possible to replace this whole with a bit of force.
Firstly you need to release the single bolt that holds it in place.Then release it from the hook.You will have enough room to cut the strap in two using a small hacksaw.Remove the two halves.
The object is to cut the new strap in two and replace it and repair it in situ.
Cut a repair plate from a suitable material,I used thick brass but aluminium or mild steel could be used.The plate is about 3ins long.Using small bolts attach it to the tank strap.Best place is on the down leg that faces you as you look under the car from the rear.When you have drilled the strap and attached the plate,remove the plate and cut the strap in two at mid point of the plate.Reattach the plate to the top piece,that is the piece with the bolt hole in it and then fit the two halves back in place on the car.Fit the remaining bolts and the rubber cushions .

This is a fairly easy repair that will at least get you through the MOT
I had an advisory last year,this year the tester thought it an ideal solution.