Accelerator feels remote!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Accelerator feels remote!

Post by ralft01 »

Mine is a 1998 2.8 Automatic. Lovely smooth drive. I have become aware recently (although it has always been the same) that the accelerator feels remote, if that makes sense. For example, in the wife's 'ordinary' car, the accelerator response is instantaneous, both ways. Push the pedal down, the engine accelerates, lift the pedal and it decelerates, and acts like a brake. In the Z, push the pedal down, pause, think about it, grudging acceleration. Lift the pedal up, nothing changes! No instant deceleration, no braking action from the engine.
OK, push down hard and the rocket lights up, but normal steady acceleration is a fight.
I have put this down to 2 things. The automatic transmission and the engine control unit, working together to frustrate me.
Any thoughts?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Accelerator feels remote!

Post by BladeRunner919 »

ralft01 wrote:The automatic transmission
There's your answer.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

You could try a new accelerator cable, cheap from the dealer and common for them to get stiff.
In my manual car it made holding a steady speed a chore when the cable became stiff.
Of course an auto transmission introduces a 'slushy' feel but maintaining steady speed or steady acceleration shouldn't be an issue.

An autobox usually benefits from an oil and filter change so would look at that regardless.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

You don't get any engine braking with an auto box.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Before you go off to get a cable, you could try removing it at the throttle and getting some WD40 or such down into the cable casing. Whilst you have it disconnected, and putting the oil in, you can pull / push the cable inside the sleeve to determine if it is tight or sticking. Next, the accel pedal is hinged onto the floor and is simply a plastic extension of the part. I have once had this hinge point break down to the point where it was sticking - mostly when lifting my foot off the pedal. You may want to get the carpet out the way, clean up around the area and spray some WD40 onto it.
Finally, when you disconnect the cable from the throttle, you can also clean up the linkages on the throttle and apply some WD40 to them to ensure they are able to move freely as they should. Disconnecting the cable at the throttle is very easy and common sense. If you want a detailed description of how to, let me know and I'll post the write-up as per the Bentley's workshop manual. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
ralft01

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ralft01 »

Thank you all! Scheduled linkage etc overhaul when the rain stops.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Dino D wrote:You could try a new accelerator cable, cheap from the dealer and common for them to get stiff.
I need to do mine or oil it
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom