For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Boysie

M roadster S50

bulb under the rear view mirror

Post by Boysie »

Sorry its the only way I can describe it bulb thingy
Does anybody know the function of this,
Ii have my own ideas
I've alway believed or thought the mirror had auto anti dazzle and this detected it
An alarm senses or indicator of the alarm setting
what's your opinion on this please :)
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: bulb under the rear view mirror

Post by Robert T »

A picture is worth a thousand words! :lol:

I take it you mean the interior ///M rear-view mirror? On the non-///M's we have a dip lever to manually reduce dazzle. If your mirror has a similar mechanical dip mechanism, then I would expect that it does not have an automatic anti-dazzle - conversely, if it doesn't have such a lever, then it is more likely to be an automatic jobby. On later models they have what looks like a black dot on the mirror glass, which I believe is where the sensor sits. See this thread in the KB: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 04#p325804

As far as other things go, other BMW models got what is referred to as a "clown's nose" on the bottom of the mirror for the alarm LED. It flashes red when the alarm is set. AFAIK is does not squirt water when you put your face up to it.

Note that there is wiring to the rear-view mirror on all zed models, as the alarm receiver module is normally located in there, however the usual place for the LED is in either the front or rear switch trays, not on the mirror.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
DAVE P

M coupe S50

Post by DAVE P »

On the UK spec ZM cars the mirror is manually dimmed and you use the "nose" part to turn and dim the mirror
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

DAVE P wrote:On the UK spec ZM cars the mirror is manually dimmed and you use the "nose" part to turn and dim the mirror
Really? Does that thing turn? I must try this tomorrow - I'm sick of getting dazzled by vans and Chelsea tractors !!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

bertiejaffa wrote:
DAVE P wrote:On the UK spec ZM cars the mirror is manually dimmed and you use the "nose" part to turn and dim the mirror
Really? Does that thing turn? I must try this tomorrow - I'm sick of getting dazzled by vans and Chelsea tractors !!
:( possibly the most underwhelming moment of my Z ownership - I got in today, the sun streaming through the rear window and thought - YES !!! I can test this twisty thing... I was expecting alchemy, magic, brass band moments... assuming that this would be an electric dimmer that dimmed the mirror to a user controllable level - a little bit like the way that the headlight switch does with the dash lights.

...instead it merely moves the mirror up on a tilt proportionate to how far you twist the clowns nose... HUMPH !!!

The worst anti-climax since kissing the school sweetheart Melanie Hawthornthwaite in the 5th year

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Bertiejaffa
Don't turn that nose that' what I did and it came off in my hand :head:
I thought looking at my ///m badge by name it was obvious I have an ///m
Reason for no picture I have the nose in my hand after it snapped off
I was always told or was misinformed that ///Ms had auto dim, well it didn't that night
I was on a different planet thinking I was in the wife's car and went dim turning nose Grrr it snapped
I've only had the car 17 years finding my about :-)
Thanks for detailed information Robert As always
Ray

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi Bertie
After reading your exciting moment it's not like my nose, no pun intended
My plastic nose doesn't operate the mirror at all, it is what Robert said, I confirmed this today with Munich legend, it indicates the alarm is activated that's all, just bit of plastic no wires nothing
Re- auto dimmer I have read somewhere the ///ms have a auto dim rear view mirror albeit Stuart at Munichs didnt confirm this, shall I replace it he said no it doesn't really do anything, being OCD and paranoid about things being correct one day I will have a new one :-)
Ray

Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
My 2p's worth: I think I read somewhere that all UK spec Z3s have manual dimming mirrors, a lever that pivots the pane to deflect blinding glares from other vehicles. It is however possible to fit an auto-dimming mirror. I should know: I've done it! I went to a breaker's yard and obtained a BMW auto-dimming mirror from an E46 (don't quote me on the model, I'm not too sure). It had the same rectangular shape as the non-M Z3s'. The electronics had indeed to be transferred over to the new mirror, after making a little more room for the board by filing out a side recess that was slightly too small. IIRC I had to solder the electric feed and ground for the dimming LCD onto the remote control antenna module. My source on the forum wisely spliced into the interior light, thus ensuring that the mirror was only powered when ignition is on, contrary to my setup. In any case, the mirror automatically switches on, so the drag on the battery has never been an issue. I wouldn't be able to do this mod again without a prior look at a guide, but I remember finding all the info I needed on this forum, albeit possibly throughout different posts. I however remember making a distress post, as the central locking wouldn't work anymore after fitting the updated mirrror (I just needed to retune the key, how to do so was also found on here). A rummage through my posts my bring up the info you need to do this mod yourself.
I just won't feel quite so special for having an auto-dimming mirror, but hey, I'm more than happy to help. I'll see what I can dig up, but remember that you take upon yourselves to modify your cars, and I can't be responsible for any ill-effects you might encounter...
I'll report back with my findings. Hopefully.

Boosh.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Found the thread: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=42469

Hope that helps,
Boosh.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

This is very tempting - driving back from Bedford last night in the //M I spent 100 miles of the journey on the A1 / M1 with the "Nose" twisted and the mirror pointing at the hardtop thanks to a number of drivers in soulless cars who just kept sticking behind me!!! :head:

Finally lost them once I got to the Woodhead pass - gotta love 321 bhp :twisted:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I find this mod all the more valuable that Z3s are fairly low, and the lights of vehicles following you do have the tendency to shine straight into your eyes. I can only recommend to 'upgrade' your mirrors, considering that it was reasonably cheap and quick. Definitely worth it considering how useful (and safer) it is. However, I wouldn't know how easily the electronics fit (let alone whether they fit at all) inside an oval //M mirror, though it appears to have been done.
Of course, bertiejaffa, pressing down the loud pedal is always an option, but I'm not sure how effective an excuse for speeding it would be to tell PC Plod that the guy behind you was blinding you up...

Boosh.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Boosh wrote:Of course, bertiejaffa, pressing down the loud pedal is always an option, but I'm not sure how effective an excuse for speeding it would be to tell PC Plod that the guy behind you was blinding you up...

Boosh.

:D :D :D :cheers
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal