Handbrake Squeaking

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Handbrake Squeaking

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi All, ok, a quick question which I am sure someone will have experienced on here. My Z has started squeaking ever so slightly on one of the rear wheels. I have narrowed it down to the handbrake shoe(s) that is rubbing very slightly because if I pull the handbrake just slightly for a moment when moving the noise stops, and remains quiet when I put it back down. The thing is that the noise continues to be quiet for some time but then returns after some time - this is despite not having re-used the handbrake in the meantime.

I am planning on taking the hub off and having a look this weekend but Im just wondering what to expect? Is it going to be something inside that needs a bit of grease or is it just that my handbrake shoes need slackening off slightly?

Thanks Lee
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Handbrake Squeaking

Post by Wookee »

It's unlikely to be your shoes needing slackening, although you may well have to do this to get the hub off anyway. Not much to grease when it comes to braking, but some copper slip on the two arrowed bits in the photo below, this is where the shoes rub against the backing plate when in use, and then smear some on the driveshaft flange where the hub centre sits. Hopefully your hub won't look like mine did :shock: :lol:

ImageIMG_20160128_151957300
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

hi
Could be the hand brake cable , just been under mine changing the diff oil and noticed the nearside cable out of its plastic clip ( the one which holds it to the bodywork ) and the plastic covering all broken up exposing the inner metal outer cable which is now very rusty and opening up to expose the inner cable am going to remove and lubricate then rebind the outer cable, also noticed that the tank straps are in a right state another job .
andy
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

thanks - I will have a look when I am under there
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal