Heater cool until 3/4 turn

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Heater cool until 3/4 turn

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi, not entirely an //M only issue I am sure but as I am shortly to pull the dash out etc I thought I would ask for some opinions.

The heater in my //M works and blows out hot air, however the heat only really gets warm once I turn the knob through to 3/4 position (3 o'clock); when compared to my 2.0l which has heat which is more aligned to the whole of the dial if that makes sense.

I am wondering if the cable is stretch or something, which I will find out when I remove the dash. However I wondered if anyone else has ever seen or experienced this?

Cheer B

EDIT - just to confirm, the coolant etc are all fine - the heater has been like this since I bought it 2 years ago.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Heater cool until 3/4 turn

Post by Dino D »

I believe it's something to door with some flaps not operating correctly which is a dash out job.
The cables can fouled and not work properly but when I had that I could feel it via the knob not turning smoothly and easily as usual.
Assuming you getting proper hot air on full so it's not a airlock issue but rather just a blending issue?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Dino D wrote:I believe it's something to door with some flaps not operating correctly which is a dash out job.
The cables can fouled and not work properly but when I had that I could feel it via the knob not turning smoothly and easily as usual.
Assuming you getting proper hot air on full so it's not a airlock issue but rather just a blending issue?
yeah on full it is roasting hot, just means that "warm" is at 3 o'clock rather than 12 o'clock if that makes sense? I am like you and reckon it is the cable not pulling the flaps fully. I will update when I take the dash out
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Some WD40 or similar into the cable sleeves will help... those heater cables are forced into some fairly tight curves when the controls are fitted into the console. You might want to check the open / shut valve on the heater matrix for correct / smooth operation. The valve itself may be "fouled" internally due to deposits building up inside. Might need to open it up and clean things a little.
I've emailed you some instructions. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Southernboy wrote:Some WD40 or similar into the cable sleeves will help... those heater cables are forced into some fairly tight curves when the controls are fitted into the console. You might want to check the open / shut valve on the heater matrix for correct / smooth operation. The valve itself may be "fouled" internally due to deposits building up inside. Might need to open it up and clean things a little.
You're a star Barry - many thanks
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

Southernboy wrote:Some WD40 or similar into the cable sleeves will help... those heater cables are forced into some fairly tight curves when the controls are fitted into the console. You might want to check the open / shut valve on the heater matrix for correct / smooth operation. The valve itself may be "fouled" internally due to deposits building up inside. Might need to open it up and clean things a little.
can you post to thread to aid other members a walk through?

thanks

Sent from my iPhone
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I've sent Lee 12 pages of instructions on "how to".... I reckon he'll be posting a detailed walk through of his repair which will be useful to all.... Alternately, PM me your email addy and I'll email the info to you too....:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions