CENTER CONSOLE ARMRESTS

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

CENTER CONSOLE ARMRESTS

Post by Southernboy »

Anyone wanting a center console armrest - Both the OEM Cup holder version or the "new" non OEM cup holder version available.... £.125 and £.85 respectively incl postage.
NB. I am making only 4 of these RHD units, and I have 1 LHD unit if anyone drives a European / American version.
They are all upholstered in real leather. A choice of Black or Beige leather is available. If you have a blue or red leather requirement, I can make the armrest in beige and you will need to dye it with a matching dye available from Furniture Clinic or other dye supplier.The dyes from Furn Clinic are good, and are matched for BMW's.

This is the armrest which fits to the OEM Plastic cup holder They sell for around £45 excl postage on eBay

This is the OEM Cup holder - note it has the "ring" fitted into the front hole... this is important for smaller containers. Many of the ones for sale on eBay are missing that part, so be aware. Also, there are versions without the ashtray fitted. I believe they are still available from BMW, but don't take my word on it.... The one pictured here is going for £43 excluding postage of £20 and excluding duties.

...and this is the "new" version which doesn't require the OEM cup holder, but does have a swivel out cup holder under the front edge of the armrest.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: CENTER CONSOLE ARMRESTS

Post by Southernboy »

Updated... Feb / 2016.

Many of the members here have fitted both versions from me, and will support my saying that these items are well made and fit the Z3 as they should. Also, if you haven't got one fitted, you will thoroughly enjoy the added comfort of driving as will your BH / passenger..... :wink:

They come with comprehensive fitting instructions and all parts required for fitting. Common hand tools are required for the "older" version with the OEM cup holder. (drill and screw driver) The "new" version only requires an Allen key and an #10 spanner or socket.

In both instances, actual fitting time is around 15 minutes, and can be done by anyone who can tie their shoes themselves... :D
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

2nd that - I have both versions and they are great

and I have slip-on shoes
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
... I'll be going to get some packaging for your lot tomorrow Lee... I'll email you the details... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Does anyone have picture of fitted to the car? Sorry if there are posts already
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...here you go... as fitted in my car..

"Normal is overrated"

alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

I had one from the original batch and it`s been great.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Can you use the 'new' style one that's hinged with the OEM double cup holder?
I have the hinged one and very happy. It's come and doesn't get in the way of shifting but am thinking I need two cupholder too.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The short answer is no... The OEM cup holder will interfere with a cross bar which is required on the new version. If you need 2 cups, the OEM unit will allow that, but you will lose the use of the armrest because it will need to be lifted up / back. The Z3 is very unforgiving with regard to space... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I've got no issue with modifying the OEM cupholder- I would like to have the ability for 2 drinks (armrest folded up) and the just one drink when armrest down, that's ok with me.
I've not seen the OEM cupholder before so not sure what will need doing- I imagine making a channel to allow the cross bar to rest properly?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you look at the pic of the OEM cup holder above, you will see it has 2 positions to fit cups... I would suggest you simply use my armrest which attaches to that cup holder... that way you can have an armrest, and the option of the 2 cup positions if the armrest is raised. You don't need to do any modifications to the OEM cup holder other than attach the armrest to it at the back end. I supply all the bits to do that incl instructions. :wink:

Here is a pic of the OEM Cup holder in my 2.8 with my armrest fitted to it. Obviously when you hinge it up, it exposes the 2nd cup position....
As you can see the 2 tiny silver screws at the back end which hold the hinge to the armrest and cup holder so the armrest can be lifted..

"Normal is overrated"

Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I already have one of the 'new' models with the brackets to work without the OEM cupholder.
So to make it work with the OEM cupholder it looks it's just a case of mounting the appropriate hinges and fixing to the OEM cupholder a?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep... That will do it. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

5harp3y

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 5harp3y »

how are the non cup holder ones fitted?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Have a look at the 3rd from top picture. You will see the brackets / arms on the armrest. They fit onto the center console at the back where the two OEM self tapper screws are fitted to hold the console. The screws are removed, and a threaded bar is passed through the console and the metal tunnel out the other side. The armrest brackets fit onto the ends of the threaded bar and with some nuts and washers it is held and also holds the console. No drilling is required since the console and the metal tunnel are already drilled... That means you can remove the armrest, and re-fit the self tappers and their respective clip nuts to restore the car back to OEM if you want.. :wink: It's very simple really... but a comprehensive fitting guide comes with the armrest including some photographs to assist fitting.
"Normal is overrated"