rear antiroll bar links

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wifevanda

Z3 roadster 2.0

rear antiroll bar links

Post by wifevanda »

hi has anyone replaced there rear antiroll links .with the bar in place.thanks for any replys.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: rear antiroll bar links

Post by Brian4 »

Not done it but they were bad enough to fit the new ones with the bar off. Lancsbob has done it I think as he had trouble getting the spare wheel carrier off. Point to note when fitted do not tighten the lower link to bracket bolt until the car is back on it's wheels otherwise the centre metal bit of the bush is clamped in the wrong position so is always under load and will quickly split the rubber.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

When I did mine off the car I was expecting them to be really hard to push on having read other posts on the subject. But I used the old faithful Fairy Liquid and they slid on a treat. I dare say you may be able to do it on the car using it.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

It's worth a try - I also did mine with the ARB off the car (fitted new bushes to that as well) and put the drop links in hot water and used a bit of washing up liquid - they needed a fair bit of pressure with the palm of the hand to get on. The old ones were so hard and perished they almost jumped off themselves :D
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

I had a good go at fitting mine with the bar still on but it wasn't happening. I (well Uncle Tony) managed to get the bar off without removing the spare wheel carrier or the exhaust. He remembered that the bar is actually a spring so is pretty flexible :)
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

HaHa who or what is your uncle Tony,no way is that bar flexible :shock:
A job worth doing is worth doing well.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Acousticplayer wrote:HaHa who or what is your uncle Tony,no way is that bar flexible :shock:
When it's all disconnected there is enough flex in it to bend it slightly to get it out without removing anything else (apart from the spare wheel).
Acousticplayer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Acousticplayer »

Hi Wookee.He did well.I recall Mike Fishwick describing it as a chinese puzzle.
Have you managed to get it back on as don't forget it now has the drop links attached which will make the job even more of a puzzle.
A job worth doing is worth doing well.
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

Acousticplayer wrote:Hi Wookee.He did well.I recall Mike Fishwick describing it as a chinese puzzle.
Have you managed to get it back on as don't forget it now has the drop links attached which will make the job even more of a puzzle.
It went on just as easily, you do have to bend it ever so slightly and you do have to have the spare wheel and plastic tray out, but not the metal carrier. If it helps, you feed it in from the offside ie the side opposite to where the exhaust is.:)
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »

Wookee wrote:I had a good go at fitting mine with the bar still on but it wasn't happening. I (well Uncle Tony) managed to get the bar off without removing the spare wheel carrier or the exhaust. He remembered that the bar is actually a spring so is pretty flexible :)
Ditto

I had a go at doing it on the car, it was far easier just to unbolt both sides and slide it out, that's what i did, tried for long time with the washing up liquid

got it off ok but getting it back in was more difficult so just removed it, i think i lowered the exhaust just off the exhaust mount but nothing more than that.