ICE not chillin' me: speaker issues. Help...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

ICE not chillin' me: speaker issues. Help...

Post by Bin »

My Z3 came with the original cassette radio but quite frankly, it sounded crap - a bit light on the bass to put it mildly. Some previous owner has clearly decided to retain the CD autochanger and as I have a pathological dislike of loose objects floating at will around the cockpit I fitted a head unit that has a USB socket. It still sounded wrong. I faded completely to the front and was immediately rewarded with a very thin and ready rendition of Purple Rain. Not quite what I had in mind!

Clearly, the tweeters were the only frontal output. I decided it might be prudent to check the front speakers in case they had gone the same way as the CD autochanger but they were both present and in excellent condition. So too was a harness loom comprising some 8 - 10 wires which I have to admit came as something of a surprise. There is what I presume to be a crossover circuit board attached to the N/S speaker (O/S not removed) which explains some of the cat's cradle: feed(s) to the tweeters.

So, either the crossover board has gone tits or there might be a powered supply to it that has failed. Clearly, something is getting through as evidenced by the tweeters tinny contributions to my musical ambiance, but the guts of it is sadly lacking.

Ideas anyone?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: ICE not chillin' me: speaker issues. Help...

Post by Robert T »

There is an amplifier on that board with a power relay. You need to connect the remote-control wire from the new headunit to the connection to it in the harness. On mine this was simply a pair of bullet connectors to mate.

There are plenty of threads on here on the subject. There is also a guide to bypassing the amplifier completely. Search for something like "footwell amplifier".

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

Ah-ha, I had a feeling that might be the case! Thank you Robert!
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

Couldn't find any article or forum post on this. Head unit has a purple remote wire but which wire do I connect it to?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14047

Forum search engines are generally pretty poor - when searching I find it much easier to use Google and search for the topic and then put zroadster.net at the end
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Search worked for me: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/search.p ... +amplifier

This is the bypass thread that I turned up: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9881

And here is one mentioning wiring colours for the remote control wire: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=25648

My advice remains the same - if you can make the remote control connection and get the footwell amp to power up, that is the simplest way.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Buy a decent 50w per channel headunit and bypass the footwell speaker amp. Job done and good sound.
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

Brilliant guys, thanks! The head unit is 50w so if needs be I will bypass the amp altogether. Got the holidays to get that little chore done. ....
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

The amp is there because the standard Bmw head unit is low wattage. When you fit an aftermarket unit usually 45watts plus the footwell amp becomes redundant.
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

This issue has now been resolved and all is well.

Thank you everyone who helped out.