Emmisions air pump removal

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Emmisions air pump removal

Post by MpowerRob »

Hi all my Z has started making abit of a loud pumping/chugging sound,had a look and listen with bonnet up and it's deffinately coming from the emmisions air pump it also makes a funny honking noise when you switch the engine off,

I know this has been discussed on here previously, I was just wondering if there is a DIY on how to completely remove it and all hoses etc.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Emmisions air pump removal

Post by Southernboy »

Are you referring to the secondary air pump - not heard of an emmisions pump on the Z before... :rtm:

Also read on this link to test it....

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... esting.htm

and....... probably very similar set-up to the e46...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eQ7WEj_FVw

OR this....... http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... mp#p373709

And this......... http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... +secondary
Last edited by Southernboy on Fri 06 May, 2016 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

The secondary air pump only runs for a short time on start so it should not be doing anything when you switch off. There is a valve between the pump and the exhaust manifold that can go bad. if it does it will leak hot gases back into the pump and after a while kills the pump. Maybe the is making the noise.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

I had to replace mine about a year ago. It sounded like a jet engine on startup! Its easy to get off, from what I remember 4 bolts with rubber damping pieces to undo. Be careful you don`t damage them when you take them off because you`ll need to use them again. Undo all hoses attached to the body and lift up then you`ll see and be able to remove the wiring plug. Second hand ones are hard to come by, I got mine off ebay £60. New ones are silly money. I believe you can just remove and put a blanking plate where it feeds into the exhaust. Do a search on here, there was quite a bit of info when I looked. It is a secondary air pump and it does reduce emissions on a cold engine and was probably fitted for the American market where they are anal about that sort of thing. Hope this helps.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

siwilson wrote:The secondary air pump only runs for a short time on start so it should not be doing anything when you switch off. There is a valve between the pump and the exhaust manifold that can go bad. if it does it will leak hot gases back into the pump and after a while kills the pump. Maybe the is making the noise.
I agree, it only runs for about 90 seconds on start up. There shouldn`t be any noise from the pump itself when you switch off.
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

Thanks very rapid replies, Had a look on here and net, can see how to use the blanking plate but not really sure what to do with all the pipe work and wires etc.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

You can just disconnect it all. The problem you will have is that it will cause a check engines light and that means a possible MOT fail.. There are delete kits available (quite cheaply) and people who can mod the software (addition cost). A lot of work if you ask me.

Best thing is to diagnose it first.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Removed mine a couple months ago .No light on mine. Did a code check the other day,no codes live or pending.
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

Stevov how did you remove it exactly, what did you do with all the hoses etc?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

put a blanking plate in between. remove the wiring plug from under the pump and leave everything on.
It does not cause any lights or codes to come one. See below where I did it with my sons noisy pump many years (and passed MOT's) ago.

gookah wrote:Its the secondary air pump that provides a boost of air into the exhaust to reduce emissions on startup.
Was fitted to adhere to American regulations across the range.

MY son's was making this noise,
It was making a very loud howling noise as the bearings were failing, So I have decided to blank off the diaphragm valve and then disconnect the supply at the bottom of the pump and tie it out of the way,
As follows:

first remove the diaphragm valve from the exhaust manifold:

then remove the gasket from the manifold:

then using the gasket as a template, I made a metal blanking plate:
Image Image

Refit the gasket to the manifold, then the blanking plate on top and refit the valve and all hoses.

Then disconnect the airpump supply-cables from underneath, job done.
Air pump no longer operates, and although the diaphragm valve will open and close as before, the exhaust gasses can not flow back beyond the blanking plate.And it still looks like its 'as original' build.
No MOT fail either.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Straight forward as Gookah has displayed to leave it original or just take the whole lot out and blank the hole.Its redundant to daily running. Iirc I plugged a vacuum line and tied the wires up out of the way. Much tidier looking engine bay after.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Good news if your engine does not throw a code. Mine sadly does as I found when it became accidentally disconnected.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

A quote from my thread a while ago from Mike Fishwick
Mike Fishwick wrote:Noise and vibration from a secondary air pump is usually due to it being neglected (sorry - 'Requiring no maintenance' in BMWspeak!)

The pump is an eccentric vane type - just like a bigger air horn compressor, and in the absence of lubrication the vanes stick in their guides and do not seal against the inside of the pump chamber.

Every few years I remove the air intake cover and clean the mesh filter. While this is drying I drip about half a teaspoonful of engine oil into the compressor, then oil the filter and replace everything. Any excess oil will be blown into the exhaust system without damaging the cats etc.