rear window - nightmare

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

rear window - nightmare

Post by Gordon13 »

So, last autumn the rear window developed a small split - time to replace it, cant be that hard can it ??

carried out some research and and came across a genuine BMW screen, which I bought for £100. Bargain.

last week as the weather has warmed up I decided to tackle it.

I was going to do lots of pics but got so frustrated with it, all that went out the window, so to speak

Old window out - easy

With help from the boss, we set about zipping in the new window - or not.

the zip just wouldn't mesh. attempt after attempt ended in failure,

after a couple of hours getting more irate at the thing, :head: we had a cup of tea and took stock of the situation.

We concluded that the zip pull that came with the window must be at fault, or even not the correct one :x

off on a hunt for a zip and eventually found one with a brass zip pull

that nearly worked so a little squash in the vice to make the trailing channel tighter and with lots of tugging and swearing plus the odd squirt of silicone it was in

Quickly put the cleat in to stop it all coming apart !!

TIS says that if it isn't perfect then remove it and move the zip alignment one tooth to the left or right - that wont be happening - I'm not sure if its perfect but after a week fitted it has settled in nice and flat.

Gluing in the hood flap has a doddle in comparison :wink:

what I bought had been opened so its possible, and I think likely, that the zip pull had been lost and any old one thrown in to make it complete, so may be not such a bargain. However, after a near divorce and lots of blue air, its done and looks OK. Phew.

A couple of completed pics to make up for the lack of step by step guide

motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: rear window - nightmare

Post by motco »

Goods fine to me! :sunny
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Slight ripple in it indicates a tooth out. I would have another go if I was you..... :evil:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

gookah wrote:Slight ripple in it indicates a tooth out. I would have another go if I was you..... :evil:
and then you can do the write up as promised too..... :twisted:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal