Front end rebuild

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Front end rebuild

Post by mrscalex »

I'm having a think about buying a partially stripped, accident damaged 2001 2.2. The damage as you can see is principally to the front panel, bonnet and bumper.

For those who have done front end rebuilds:
  • Is there a risk that the damage will have gone back on to the chassis? If so where would you expect it to crease and hence where should I examine?
  • Is the front panel a bolt off/on job or is any welding involved?
  • Would the front panel from a 1998 1.9 fit okay? I'm guessing so as the part number is the same
  • Am I insane for considering this or is it perfectly practical? I've previously changed out bonnets, doors, boot lids, bumpers no problem.
  • What sort of loading do you get on the insurance for a Cat C car? This has actually been Cat C'd twice!
Thanks.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Re: Front end rebuild

Post by Deano1712 »

The front panel is common. Its tack welded to the end flange of the chassis rails. Its easy to drill the tacks out to remove and no need to reweld on fitting since its bolted there. I cant see there would be chassis rail damage from the pic shown. You should be able to see. Maybe pull off the undertray behind the bumper to look. If it 2x cat C it needs to be cheap.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks. I think it's in the right ball-park at £695 especially as it's only done 61k. The seats, tail lamps, 3rd brake lights, door cards and rear trim/box/roll loops are removed but that seems to be about it. I'd be looking to see if I could get some of those parts and the replacement panels thrown in from another of his breakers.

It looks like a decent car. Will be checking hit on insurance for 2x Cat C before going ahead. No Cat Cs and it ought to be a £4k-£4.5k car rebuilt. With the Cat C's maybe £2.5k. So with maybe £800 of parts to rebuild it could be a deal.

ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Footman James quoted £203 for 3000 miles and there was no penalty for the 2 Cat Cs!

I've put my name down for it and will be seeing it shortly :)
Last edited by mrscalex on Wed 18 May, 2016 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

mrscalex wrote:The seats, tail lamps, 3rd brake lights, door cards and rear trim/box/roll loops are removed but that seems to be about it.
Don't forget you need a pair of wing mirrors also :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

g8jka wrote:Don't forget you need a pair of wing mirrors also :D
Good point. Think I over-looked that on my shopping list as I already have a pair but it's still part of the project cost.
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

That seems like a pretty good deal to me! :thumb:
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

thats nearly what my z3 looked like when I got her, only she had been hit on the off side, work needed was front chassis rails bent, bunmper support bent, both head lights damaged, slam pannel crunched, radiator bent/smashed and the bonnet badly bent, if you look arround as i did i was lucky to get 2 head lights for £45 each, bumper support £45, slam pannel £50, radiator £45 ,bonnet £200 , I have a pair to the dampers that bolt onto the chassis rail that hold the bumper support that I don't need £40
petet2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

peter2b wrote:thats nearly what my z3 looked like when I got her
Well I need this one to have straight chassis rails as I don't want the expense of it going on a jig.

By bumper support do you mean the solid metal bar that extends across the front of the car, ie what is actually the real bumper. What most of us call the bumper is of course just a plastic coating.
ImageImage
Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

Looks worth the effort to me; I say go for it!
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

on my z3 all the damage was in front of the anti roll bar mounts and engine mounts, all the rest in front of those mounts do is hold the bumper support and slam pannel, +radiator bottom support, , it's quite easy to see if the rest of the chassis is out by taking x measurement from mid point on the side rails to say the front of the engine mounting, and from the top front suspension towers to a point on the inner wing side to side and x wise, I also used a lazer level to line up the wheels and to sight along the chassis rails front to back, after I did the work and got through the mot and vic check without any problems I had a 4 wheel tracking check done , perfect, if I had any problems I think the tyres would have shown some thing in the 8 k miles I've done since the rebuild
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Looked at the car this morning. Chassis rails were straight. Sale agreed. Being delivered Thursday AM :)

If anyone can help with my shopping list please PM me. Looking to do this on a budget though :)

Rear lights (clear indicator)
Passenger headlamp (clear indicator)
3rd brake light & cover (clear lens)
Front bumper
Bonnet
Roll hoops and panelling
Wing mirrors
Passenger side rear wing

Where applicable prefer Topaz Blue.

I have all the rear cubby box assembly and panelling from a non roll loop car. Does anyone know if a) this would fit b) the car is sensible to drive without the roll loops - can't see why not? It would just be a temporary measure to get it driveable while I find some roll loops at a non silly price.
ImageImage
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Nice one another zed saved, have a look on piston heads might be some one building a bertini or kobra kit so all the pannels and other bits should be there
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

peter2b wrote:Nice one another zed saved, have a look on piston heads might be some one building a bertini or kobra kit so all the pannels and other bits should be there
peter2b
Good thought. Just bought a near complete rear end for £180 off someone on ebay doing a conversion. Wasn't going to touch the rear end at the moment but the panels are the right colour and appear to be immaculate so I didn't want to loose the opportunity. I missed the bonnet and front bumper :(

Wing mirrors in the right colour just obtained too.

Clear headlamps/rear lights are not cheap so likely to get amber ones for now and I'll wait to look for a bargain.

It may end up with my spare Boston Green bonnet for now (saved all the lacquer peeled panels off my brother's project when I replaced them). And if the pre-facelift bumper fits it can have that for the time being to get it through an MOT and mobile again.

Running out of space here to store all the panels and need to go easy on the pennies so may need to do this in 2 phases. Patch it up to get it on the road then get the right colours on the front end and lights.

I've got a decent pair of black leather pre-facelift seats from the breaker although proper sports ones would be nice down the line. I may need to lash up the loom as I'm not sure the 2 are compatible?

I'll also chuck the non roll-loop cubby box and panelling in for now if I can't get the proper bits. I assume it will fit. It's really not me using the wrong parts but needs must to get it mobile again and with the summer nearly here there will be other things to do than fix Z3s.

And as peter2b says it's another Z3 saved and will be restored 100% in due course as I don't know any other way :)
ImageImage
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

good luck have fun , it took me 6 months to get mine road worthy again but great fun doing it
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I've done a very similar amount of panel replacement on my brother's car although it didn't have the element of surprise for unforeseen work like this one will have. That will come courtesy of not already owning the car and the accident damage. But I did most of the big work on that in about 6 weekends (what I call phase 1 restoration). There's still lots of little jobs to do on it which will be spread out over the next 12 months (phase 2) but the car looks respectable now and is very useable again .

Summer activities with the family will get in the way of a straight run with this one but as I've got the experience of doing most of the jobs once now I'll be disappointed if I can't do phase 1 in similar timescales. That will clearly all change if I find something horrible, particularly once the front end is dismantled.

Today I've secured virtually all of the parts I currently think I need for phase 1 up to the MOT. I'll be picking them up next Wednesday and making a start shortly after that. So end of July maybe for having it back on the road.

Like many people we name our cars after the 3 letters in the registration. This one is Y683 TRD. My daughter suggested Trudy but it has to be Terdy. I lost a best friend to alcohol abuse 3 years ago now and because of his scrapes when he was boozed up Richard (his real name) became Richard the Third > Turd > Terd (had to sanitise it a bit after I got complaints from his family when I first knew him as 21 year olds :) A lovely guy, we were like brothers but the name was apt sometimes! So will be thinking of you I'm working on the car Richard, particularly when I'm getting cheesed off with it and need a motivational shove :)

Those who like The Two Ronnies will know where that particular rhyming slang comes from! If you don't then I feel duty bound to share it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RwyPDPlFA8 (3 mins in if you don't want to watch all of it)

I'll start a journal thread with photos of the rebuild as I've taken lots from this forum and feel that will help put something back as a record of the jobs involved. I'll also probably be looking for advice at various points!
ImageImage