Rear window replacement near to Stockport, Cheshire?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Rear window replacement near to Stockport, Cheshire?

Post by lightning »

The hood on my Z3 is perfect and the rear screen is alright, but is showing its age a bit.

I want to get a new rear window fitted. BMW want £400 to do this job, but does anybody know a company near to me in Stockport who can fit a new rear screen?

I called "Thesofttopshop" based in Stockport but they "don't do it as the stitching often fails when they try to zip in the new window" l told them my hood is in perfect condition but the guy listened and then repeated that "it's not a job they do".

There's also a company in Sandbach called Trimmtech but they've failed to respond to two emails asking if they can do the job.

Am l stuck with getting in done at BMW? They don't seem to have a problem doing it.....but £400 :-(
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Rear window replacement near to Stockport, Cheshire?

Post by freds dad »

Buy a rear screen and do it yourself. I'm sure there is a guide on here on how to do it along with links for the best prices. There used to be a place in Germany that did good deals.
DAVE P

M coupe S50

Post by DAVE P »

There's a trimmer in Cheadle Hulme who may be able to help

http://www.peterlentoncartrim.co.uk/
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

400 is way too much, you can get a new hood for that.

The 'BEAST' 666
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

It is fairly straightforward a job. Just a bit fiddly, with a fair bit of trial and error. Can therefore be time-consuming, but then again, how long would it have to be to be worth giving away 400 quid? It's easier to have someone help you, but it can be a one-man job. A few posts on different forums, a couple of YouTube videos, and you'll be ready to take the plunge. Just make sure you get a zipper slidy thingy and strong thin double-sided tape with your replacement window. And don't forget to post pics.

Boosh.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I don't fancy doing the job myself!

I will take on most things but l can see that job going pear shaped if l tried it. Is the genuine BMW screen the one to go for or are the aftermarket ones alright? As in buy the window from BMW and get a trimmer to fit it?
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Got mine from Germany for about 70 quid, I think. Taking the old window out is a bit daunting, but it illustrates how the new one goes in. My second go would have been spot-on, if not for the fact that I zipped the window in the wrong way (clockwise instead of anti clockwise, or the other way round). You will know straightaway if the hood and window zipper teeth are aligned, as the slider should not struggle to go forward. If you make it past the first corner, chances are you'll go all the way around. But one tooth out is enough to be unsuccessful, hence people saying that the job can take a while. My friend and I changed the window screen in about an hour and a half for our first attempt. But for a 400 quid saving, I still wouldn't mind if it took all day. Be patient and try to mark how you line up the teeth before each attempt, so that you get an idea for the correct alignment. Honestly, patience and method are the only skills you need. And think of what shiny bits you can spend the money you saved on!

Boosh.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I think you're right not to attempt it yourself because if the stitching is going you will get into problems. It can also be problematical getting the teeth started in the correct sync as there is no stop like on a coat zip. I also wouldn't recommend a third party screen as people report mixed quality and the zip will be of a different manufacture to the one in the top and may not quite mesh right.

What you need is someone who will re-use your zip and fit a new piece of vinyl. And will do any repairs to the stitching.

I've just had mine done at Soft Tops in Coventry (Tony) and that's how he does his.

http://www.softtops.org.uk/

If it's a straight swap it's £130. Mine got complicated as the vinyl went brittle and fell out so Tony no longer had a template to use (every screen is stretched slightly differently as the top moves and wears). It also needed stitching repairs. So it came out at £230 in the end. But it's a great job.

These are Tony's discounted winter prices. You may pay marginally more for his regular summer prices.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

l can see where problems might occur.

That'll be why the guy in Stockport doesn't want to do them.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I emailed Trimmtech in Sandbach, Cheshire again and this time they replied, saying they are happy to replace the rear window for £150.
I assume they are using an aftermarket window, are these OK? I guess l could ask them to fit a genuine BMW one.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

lightning wrote:I emailed Trimmtech in Sandbach, Cheshire again and this time they replied, saying they are happy to replace the rear window for £150.
I assume they are using an aftermarket window, are these OK? I guess l could ask them to fit a genuine BMW one.
It won't be OEM at that price. It probably won't even be a bought in part. The trimmers with proper workshops make their own up (better in my view). Either sewing new vinyl into the old zip or directly into your roof fabric (they take it off to do the work obviously).

If they sew new vinyl into the existing zip then they will have to fix any problems with the zip on the roof side, probably by hand-stitching. If they sew new vinyl in directly (removing the zip fixing) then your whole roof is disturbed and I would imagine there is a limit to how many times the window could be replaced in this way before the roof is weakened.

The ideal method in my view is removing the roof covering to re-sew the zip (if required) on that side. And sewing new vinyl into the other side of the zip. But that's only going to be worthwhile if your roof covering is sound. As many are not that's why a lot of people on the forums go for a whole new roof (normally with a stitched in rear window).

There's not one right way of doing this. It depends on the condition of the roof, your budget, how long you want to keep the car and what method your trimmer is prepared to use.

And re: the OEM part. Not necessary in my view unless you are doing a concours restoration. The vinyl the trimmer uses will be tried and trusted and I don't see the point in effectively spending 3 times as much on the materials when it's going in a well worn roof.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just found the stitching on my rear window has worn out for about 2" on the n/s looks like the zip fabric part has given up where it was stitched to the roof material as well, ,but lucky I found some nylon thread and a special neadle that I use to use when I was a saddler 10 minster later all back together again ,should last long enough for me to save up for a new roof as this one is getting a bit past its sell date :)
peter2b
abh29

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by abh29 »

Trimmtech did ours a couple of years ago.

He took the hood off completely to sew a new unit in place, I had rather nice lunch in Sandbach

Been perfectly happy with the job.
Z3 2.2 Sport Silver
X1
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Thanks for the replies, l will take it to them when l can get the time to do it.

My Z3 is in show condition in fact most people would probably leave the existing window as it's not really bad at all. But the rest of the car is so good, that l think it's worth replacing the window.
abh29

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by abh29 »

If you are looking at keeping it in "original condition" forget trimtech and stay with a zipped in BMW original screen, although I think he would do that ----at a realistic cost.
To keep ours in good condition I use a foam tube (used by children learning to swim) whenever hood is down, which it normally is even in todays rain.
Z3 2.2 Sport Silver
X1
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

abh29 wrote:If you are looking at keeping it in "original condition" forget trimtech and stay with a zipped in BMW original screen, although I think he would do that ----at a realistic cost.
To keep ours in good condition I use a foam tube (used by children learning to swim) whenever hood is down, which it normally is even in todays rain.
I agree. If it was me I wouldn't have a window sewn into a show condition car. Because I'm all about original I would probably leave the existing one and live with small faults.

If you do get it done I would seriously recommend the re-use of the zip with new vinyl option. Or now you've said it's show condition and the existing screen is nice anyway it might just be worth that OEM screen.

Anyway, if you don't re-use the existing zip and replace it completely, keep the current screen and I'll happily buy it off you to help with the cost of a replacement :)
ImageImage
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Personally if my car was in show condition and I wanted to keep it original and mint it would go into BMW. I don't think £400 is that bad considering the cost of a genuine screen and the price they charge for labour and especially compared to the thousands they charge to supply and fit a genuine roof.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

lightning wrote:Thanks for the replies, l will take it to them when l can get the time to do it.

My Z3 is in show condition in fact most people would probably leave the existing window as it's not really bad at all. But the rest of the car is so good, that l think it's worth replacing the window.
If the requirement for a BMW window is such and the show condition so good then I would suggest its a car that shouldn't be being used. Of course that depends on what you are planning to do with it - if the answer is to store it and hope prices rise then fine, if the rationale is to use it then I wouldn't worry about an aftermarket window/hood
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Well, l bought it to use but as often happens with me l end up trying to make the car as good as new.

Which means it ends up never getting any use and only taken to shows etc.