Got my new second Z3 today

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Got my new second Z3 today

Post by grussell »

So I bit the bullet today and got the car I have always dreamed of. I sat down with my dad to watch Goldeneye 15 years ago and fell in love with the Z3 and I was adament that one day I would be sat behind the steering wheel of one. It has a current MOT, insured and taxed and off I go. I bought it quite cheaply and it's in great condition but I have a couple of small things to do to it. I have ordered a new rear windscreen as the one it came in was teared.

This will be my second Zed as the first one I bought was Cat C and just a project car :(. Sold and sealed and moved on to a proper Zed, I feel like JB himself.

Here's a pic for y'all (best colour combination ever)
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Re: Got my new second Z3 today

Post by grussell »

Last edited by grussell on Tue 31 May, 2016 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Congrats on your purchase JB :) Enjoy a summer of Zedding.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

If you wrap your photo link with the [img] [/img] tags it displays the pic for you. It should look like this: -

[img]http://s33.postimg.org/s12y0ix6n/20160531_184604.jpg[/img]
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Brian H wrote:If you wrap your photo link with the tags it displays the pic for you. It should look like this: -

Thanks for the top tip, now I can really rub it in peoples faces haha!

Do you have any ownership tips?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

grussell wrote:Do you have any ownership tips?
yep, drop the top and drive :drive

Seriously just enjoy the car, remember these cars are getting on a bit now and do require a bit of TLC, if you like getting your hands dirty they are great cars to tinker with.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

now the suns out enjoy
peter2b
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Brian H wrote:
if you like getting your hands dirty they are great cars to tinker with.
'Tinkering's' the word!..........at least the wives know where we are, on the driveway Zed tinkering or down the pub discussing the next Zed tinker! :wink:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Brian H wrote:
grussell wrote:Do you have any ownership tips?
yep, drop the top and drive :drive

Seriously just enjoy the car, remember these cars are getting on a bit now and do require a bit of TLC, if you like getting your hands dirty they are great cars to tinker with.
OK, a bit freaked out. I just went to put some CD's in my Z3's glovebox and as I unlocked the door it gave me 6 loud beeps (high, low, high, low, high, low), loud enough to wake the neighbour next door. As I started the engine, it did it again. And as I closed the door and locked it, it sounded one more beep - no lights on dash at any point. It definitely wasn't the alarm as it was a different sound, any idea what it could have been?

Regards...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Was the previous owner a Mr J Bond? Might be the self-destruct mechanism.

What alarm does it have? The BMW one doesn't make noises like that and I don't know of anything else on the car other than the headlight warning buzzer.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Robert T wrote:Was the previous owner a Mr J Bond? Might be the self-destruct mechanism.

What alarm does it have? The BMW one doesn't make noises like that and I don't know of anything else on the car other than the headlight warning buzzer.

Cheers R.

Ha. It was a high beep, then a low beep, high, low, high, low. And it did it every time I unlock/lock the door, start the engine. Really quite loud outside of the car too.

I know the Z3 has a tracker installed, do you think it could be that?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Never heard that noise before on either of my Zs, personally if the car works fine apart from that I would disconnect the siren
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

How do I disconnect the siren?

Regards
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Oh gosh, I just started it now and as I put the key in the door lock and unlocked it the factory car alarm went off!

I pressed the grey button on the separate fob and it stopped. What's going on? Should I have disarmed it before unlocking the car?

(Sorry about the countless posts, I'm just trying to get my head around the alarm system)
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Not a bad job for fixing my rear crack, temporary job until I get the new rear screen
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

grussell wrote:I pressed the grey button on the separate fob and it stopped. What's going on? Should I have disarmed it before unlocking the car?
Short answer, Yes.

The alarm is set/unset with the remote central locking. If you unlock with the key, the alarm will still be set. Conversely if you lock with the key and not the remote, the alarm will not be set.

Also note that with the early, separate fob type alarm, there is no easy way to unset the alarm without the remote, which is why there is a small round key to physically switch the siren off. There is a hard way, but removing the glovebox every time would be a monumental pain in the neck, back, arms, legs...

Cheers R.

grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Robert T wrote:
grussell wrote:I pressed the grey button on the separate fob and it stopped. What's going on? Should I have disarmed it before unlocking the car?
Short answer, Yes.

The alarm is set/unset with the remote central locking. If you unlock with the key, the alarm will still be set. Conversely if you lock with the key and not the remote, the alarm will not be set.

Also note that with the early, separate fob type alarm, there is no easy way to unset the alarm without the remote, which is why there is a small round key to physically switch the siren off. There is a hard way, but removing the glovebox every time would be a monumental pain in the neck, back, arms, legs...

Cheers R.

Where is the small key to turn the siren off?
Antm72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Antm72 »

You should have a little key that fits into the rear of the alarm siren.This won't disable the alarm it will just stop it sounding as its battery backed up and would sound on a disconnected battery.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

grussell wrote:Where is the small key to turn the siren off?
One would hope that it was on the same keyring with the ignition key and the alarm fob!

It looks like this: Image

I have also seen one mention of a small bladed key for the same purpose of operating a key switch on the siren itself - but all the other posts refer to a small round key as above.

Cheers R.
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Robert T wrote:
grussell wrote:Where is the small key to turn the siren off?
One would hope that it was on the same keyring with the ignition key and the alarm fob!

It looks like this: Image

I have also seen one mention of a small bladed key for the same purpose of operating a key switch on the siren itself - but all the other posts refer to a small round key as above.

Cheers R.
I definitely haven't got a little round key like that. Although my alarm buttons are on a separate fob to my key, yours are integrated. I am popping into BMW to order a new set of keys and a fob next week (three figures apparently) so I will ask about it then.

Can we all just STOP and appreciate the beauty of my Zed...