Z3 starting probelms

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Hdz3

blank

Z3 starting probelms

Post by Hdz3 »

Hi, sometimes. My z3 won't start, turn the key and nothing, no lights just dead, leave for a couple of mins take the key out and try again and it starts, any ideas
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 starting probelms

Post by mrscalex »

I had a similar problem earlier in the week. It was the battery neg clamp loose, variously making contact and then not before coming off completely.

One other idea. Worn contact pins in ignition key barrel?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The chip in the ignition key is read inductively by a coil, so no pins. It could still be the immobiliser, but you would need diagnostic software to check that the immobiliser has correctly read the key. Do you have a second key to try with?

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Robert T wrote:The chip in the ignition key is read inductively by a coil, so no pins. It could still be the immobiliser, but you would need diagnostic software to check that the immobiliser has correctly read the key. Do you have a second key to try with?

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
At some point the action of turning the key must make an electrical circuit otherwise the engine would either fire as soon as the key went in or it would never fire at all. I have no idea how exactly it works but that must be the logic?

Of course it may well not be this that's the problem and/or the pins in the barrel may be bullet proof and never wear out.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

mine was the same as mentioned. loose connector on the battery neg terminal.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Hdz3

blank

Post by Hdz3 »

Thanks, I'll check the battery connection in the morning and update
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I've had a loose negative battery terminal too with exactly those symptoms. It must be a common but peculiar issue on Z's as I've never suffered it on any other car I have driven in the last 40 years!
It takes longer to open the boot and move the carpet out of the way than to fix once you know what the problem is.
Of course if you find that the battery lead is securely fastened then you have to start the detective work.
Hdz3

blank

Post by Hdz3 »

Update on starting problems, the pos batt clamp was loose, it seams to me that the positive post is not high enough' is there suppose to be packing under the battery.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Hdz3 wrote:Update on starting problems, the pos batt clamp was loose, it seams to me that the positive post is not high enough' is there suppose to be packing under the battery.
Have you got the right size battery in there? Have never seen any packing.

Or has it gone the wrong lead?
ImageImage
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Well it is a simple fix even if you need to replace the battery or the lead. Much easier than tracking down faults with the immobiliser or ignition switch at least!
The car would not have been designed to require packing under the battery so if you really do have to stretch the lead to reach the terminal I suspect an incorrectly sized replacement battery has been fitted at some time.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I noticed that the slight cone shape of the terminal on my battery can force the connector upwards as you tighten it sometimes which probably then results in the fraction of movement that results in this issue.

When I discovered my problem I put half a paper clip between the terminal and the connector and tightened it. The slight irregular shape seems to help with the grip and I have never had the issue since.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Hdz3

blank

Post by Hdz3 »

I would say its the wrong battery if it was taller the lead would fit nicely by the side, if it becomes loose again I'll try the paper clip trick