Sale Dilemma

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
the_youth

M roadster S50

Sale Dilemma

Post by the_youth »

I've got an Estoril blue Z3M with about 85k on the clock, recently sourced hardtop and fitting kit etc... Wife is wanting to sell as I've not had it on the road for a number of years. Garaged and regularly started, warmed up, rolled around etc...

Torn between selling as funds could be useful for a new house/refurb or storing at my folks house so at least it is "out of the way" as I'm conscious they are an appreciating asset. Ideally one day I'd love my son to have it but it is such a shame just to store but again we could use the money to do other things presently.

I hate to think of it not getting used but probably know I'd regret selling it some day.

I know many of you guys have probably faced the same dilemma at some point so I doubt I'm alone.

How much did the divorce cost? :)

Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Sale Dilemma

Post by Warrior »

I'll give you 5k. Can she cook? :D
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

£5k is good, but she can't cook for ****! I'll throw in a dog to make up the difference! :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

They are a great car and with those miles and good condition you would easily get £15,000 I reckon. Theres only around half of them left now - approx 500, just less of the S50's. If you held it for another 10 years it would go up... how much who knows. As for your son having it, I hope he is over 30. I would love to see what a new driver quote would be - even with a little black box

Ultimately its your call though, you know how much you need the money and how much the wife is worth :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

Cheers buddy. The car isn't a perfect concourse but still pretty clean.
My son is on 2 1/2 at the moment! Could you imagine what it would be like when it turns 17 and rocks up at school in a vintage (by then) sports car!
But it seems the wife may win this one. She has plans for a house we've just bought!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

the_youth wrote: But it seems the wife may win this one. She has plans for a house we've just bought!
Tell her she better take up carpentry then :wink:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

And plumbing and brick laying and so on.... :(
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

the_youth wrote:And plumbing and brick laying and so on.... :(
Modern Apprenticeship - she'll be up to speed in no time
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

That's a toughie. But only you know how much you want the cash against how much you want the car.

Personally I wouldn't leave the car laid up without running it for 6 months a year on the road. Cars deteriorate when they're laid up. And what's the real point of having it just to leave it in a garage. Yes, it may go up in value but it may also go down. There's probably better investments and ones that don't take up so much space!

Keep it and use it! Why aren't you using it?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
the_youth

M roadster S50

Sale Dilemma

Post by the_youth »

It is a toughie and I agree it is a shame not to use the car more often though I am careful to ensure it is periodically warmed up and moved to ensure everything should be as it should. I even recently gave it a service with new oil, filters etc... as I was planning on getting it out this summer (not that it's been worth it with the weather).

I've not used it much as I travel about a fair bit during the week and a young family means my weekends are usually taken up (and 2 seats aren't enough). Also, I didn't want to ramp up the mileage on it just for the sake of it purely from an investment standpoint.

The money would be useful to make a house a home and to do stuff to benefit the family. So maybe having the M, storing it and using infrequently is the selfish choice. May be time for someone else to benefit from it.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

the_youth wrote:. Also, I didn't want to ramp up the mileage on it just for the sake of it
And therein is the answer.
if you think it is just ramping up the mileage, to you the car is no longer driving enjoyment, but an investment Time for it to go...you can equally invest in your house instead.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

Oh I do still enjoy it. But if I drive it tends to be work related between London and Manchester usually 3 to 4 times a week. My daily takes the brunt of this rather than the zed.
It would be a shame to see it go but maybe time to use the funds for the family.
So with that in mind I'm likely to start looking for a buyer. If you are a builder/plumber/kitchen fitter then feel free to contact me as I'm sure we could do a deal as that is what the zed is going to contribute to in the near future! :)
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

Got the old girl out from under the covers today for a warm through. Needs a good polish but otherwise fine.
Took some pics.
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

Drivers side bolster is good just could benefit from a good feed and maybe a little bit of dye.
Wheels need a good wash. Rear tyres need gunk washing off as they are new.
Zim

M roadster S52

Post by Zim »

Car is looking great! love that colour!

i'm in the similar dilemma as you, cosmos black m roadster 68k on on the clock, with matching hard top and fitting kit. right now its nice and covered in my garage, must have driven it about 5-6 times this year, i love the car to bits but just not making use of it. I been keeping any eye on the prices of the cars which seem to be going up more than i ever thought it would dilemma do i sell now or just wait it out..