just what i have done in the last few days...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

just what i have done in the last few days...

Post by handsomejackuk »

Just thought i post a quick update on my Z3 bought it a few days ago.... needed a bit of tidying anyway heres what i have done

removed gear knob and repainted the logos on the gear emblem unitl i get a new m badge
removed the carbunkle blaupunkt 6 disk autochanger from the compartment behind the front seats, as i have a usb stick on my radio
give the engine bay a bit of dressing up, basically anything that moves has been sprayed with lubricationg oil and given the oily rag wipeover
stripped the throttle body off and cleaned the secondary and main butterflies as the secondary was sticking and making it quite hard to pull off smoothly, must sya its a load better now.
done loads of research on steering wheel and trying to get it covered, or source a good second hand item
been to the motor trimmers and got price for retrimming the drivers seat can get it done for £40 if i can get the material...
repaired the rear aerial basically covered it with heatshrink, and put some false coils of wire around the antenna to make it look like original, ordered new grommet so hoping to do that in a few days time
been around all the bodywork and looking for any signs of accident damage, and all looks original. just needs some stone chips sorting out, and a good wash and polish
need to do the roof, i.e. get some fabsil and re waterproof it... few pics later.

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: just what i have done in the last few days...

Post by peter2b »

looks good
peter2b
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Nice colour to polish :wink:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

got to remove those tacky rear bumper protectors not my thing the last owner put them on,

also other thing i did was remove the washer bottle and give it a good cleaning and steralising.. it was absolutely disgusting...

just a tip if anyone is going to do this... baking beans what are used for cooking blind bake pastry did the job great put a load of them in the washer tank with some washing up liquid/ cif cream cleaner, give them a good shake about swil and re swill then i put some bleach / steralising tablets in the bottle.. got to say it came up a treat...
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

If I might share one of my recent experiences with you. The single best preventative measure you can take is to have the sills and front/rear wings off to clean behind and rust treat. It's easy to convince yourself they are sound like I did with my 2.2 project (and they were, very much so on the outside) but even that had some flaky stuff around the grunge collection points like the sill ends, jack points and the bolt holes when I opened it up. The sills rust from the inside out.

It's not a difficult job though it may seem scary dismantling your car like that at first. You will thank yourself for it when you see the cr*p that gets in there though. I used the Por 15 system to treat mine.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i noticed that the front fenders look like they easily come off... they dont look like they have ever been disturbed all bolts are original and no marks on any of them this may be something i will do towards the winter when its tucked away in the garage....

Just removed the underbonnet insulation, and blew out the washer jets as one was blocked, looks like i have one of the non return valves very sticky. it will blow out with compressor but not when attached to the furthest away washer nozzle, have temporairly removed it and all works good.. but will probably get a replacement one way valve when i get to a motor shop... noticed a few over the panel clips were missing too so obviously someone has had a go at this before and lost a few panel clips...
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

mrscalex wrote:If I might share one of my recent experiences with you. The single best preventative measure you can take is to have the sills and front/rear wings off to clean behind and rust treat. It's easy to convince yourself they are sound like I did with my 2.2 project (and they were, very much so on the outside) but even that had some flaky stuff around the grunge collection points like the sill ends, jack points and the bolt holes when I opened it up. The sills rust from the inside out.

It's not a difficult job though it may seem scary dismantling your car like that at first. You will thank yourself for it when you see the cr*p that gets in there though. I used the Por 15 system to treat mine.
any pics of the car with the sills and front / rear wngs off ?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

There's pics with the rear end off in my rebuild thread. Look for 'Terd Mobile' :)

The front wings/sills have only been off this week and I don't have photos yet. Watch for an update middle of next week.

You'll need a week of evenings to do the job. Or a whole weekend.

Genuinely nothing difficult about it. You just have to know what order to do things in. You'll need to get the arch liners out as part of the process and that's useful to give a clean behind there too.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)