Front bumper marker lights.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Cheeseandbeans

Z3 roadster 1.9

Front bumper marker lights.

Post by Cheeseandbeans »

Does anyone know if the wiring is there on a pre facelift z3 for side marker lights on the front bumper? I have picked up a cheap front bumper from a facelift Z3 because mine is badly damaged. I was thinking of putting the facelift bumper on my pre-facelift car but wondered if the wiring was already there for the side light markers?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Front bumper marker lights.

Post by mrscalex »

I'm new to the world of marker lights as I'm used to a pre-facelift. But I'm doing a facelift project now.

But my understanding is these are really the sidelights with the headlight unit not having a sidelight.

I put pre-facelift headlights in my facelift and scratched my head a bit when I couldn't find the sidelight connector near the headlight.

So I guess if you put facelift headlights in you could reroute the sidelight connector to the bumper.

That's the theory. Don't know if it's the same connector and the circuit is correctly rated for it.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It's fairly certain the wiring will be there - doesn't make sense to make a variety of wiring harnesses on a production line with such a minor difference. It may be folded up and tied to somewhere in the general area or behind the wheel arch liner. If not, you can consider running wires from the head lights which turn on with the 1st click of your light switch. All you need is a blue and a brown wire - (brown to earth - blue from the power supply).
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Southernboy wrote:It's fairly certain the wiring will be there - doesn't make sense to make a variety of wiring harnesses on a production line with such a minor difference. It may be folded up and tied to somewhere in the general area or behind the wheel arch liner. If not, you can consider running wires from the head lights which turn on with the 1st click of your light switch. All you need is a blue and a brown wire - (brown to earth - blue from the power supply).
I'm guessing though that the wiring harness would have changed from pre-facelift to facelift. I think the answer is to divert the side light connector to the bumper and preferably fit facelift headlamps. But I'm interested to see what others say.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

my pre-facelift 2.8 had the bumper side light fitted, so I can't imagine why any pre-facelift should be different.
"Normal is overrated"

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Southernboy wrote:my pre-facelift 2.8 had the bumper side light fitted, so I can't imagine why any pre-facelift should be different.
Fair enough. Do you your headlight units have sidelights too out of interest? Or have I got this whole thing wrong that marker lights take the place of sidelights?
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

TBH I don't recall if it did have headlight sidelights... I changed the OEM units for the aftermarket angel eye / projector lens headlight many years ago. I do know that when I retro fitted the cruie control the wiring was already in place under the bonnet. There were also some "spare" wires with connectors in the bonnet / engine area near the windscreen washer reservoir which I never used, but were obviously there for some optional extra. Anyhow, have a good look around the area, and specifically behind any plastic trims like the wheel arch liners or other trim in the lower engine area.
"Normal is overrated"

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Southernboy wrote:TBH I don't recall if it did have headlight sidelights... I changed the OEM units for the aftermarket angel eye / projector lens headlight many years ago. I do know that when I retro fitted the cruie control the wiring was already in place under the bonnet. There were also some "spare" wires with connectors in the bonnet / engine area near the windscreen washer reservoir which I never used, but were obviously there for some optional extra. Anyhow, have a good look around the area, and specifically behind any plastic trims like the wheel arch liners or other trim in the lower engine area.
I'm fairly certain one of the spare connectors, the one on the right side, is for heated washer jets as that's were the sensor mounts. That's what the spare in that area is on my 2.2 facelift.
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You're likely right about that - I guess we don't really need them here in South Africa... :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

All the 6cylinder cars have always had the side marker lights. It's only the early 1.9s AFAIK that didn't have them.

On the cars with the side markers, the headlights don't have access holes for the sidelight in the main beam lamp. Though the cast mark is there.
Cheeseandbeans

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Cheeseandbeans »

Yeah mine is a 1997 with no side markers on the front bumper. I've put a facelift bumper on now, just need to get the side markers now and I'll give it a go. Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how I get on.