DIAGNOSTIC HELP NEEDD

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bentley-boy

blank

DIAGNOSTIC HELP NEEDD

Post by bentley-boy »

Have the ABS / ASC light on and need to sort it for mot. Anybody in Staffs area (near Alrewas just down from Burton on Trent on the A38) prepared to give me some help? A previous test by someone I can no longer get hold of showed up dud rear wheel speed sensors (which I've since changed) and problems with the ABS module. Just wanted to find out if the new wheel sensors are working o.k and confirm if it is the ABS module still. I have a spare module known to have no faults at removal and wondered what's involved in swopping it (re-coding?). Anyone prepared to help, happy to pay costs?

BB
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: DIAGNOSTIC HELP NEEDD

Post by peter2b »

Rober T was very nice to sort out my problems he might be on line and see you shout
Peter2 b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

There's 2 distinct asks there I think:

- Someone with diagnostics to check for the error codes
- Someone who knows how to recode the ABS module if required.

Now hopefully you can find one person who can do both. But the reality is there's a lot more of us who can access the error codes than there are who can recode modules.

I have laptop based diagnostics and you'd be welcome to swing by (Swindon). The recoding I've tried but was unsuccessful - which is annoying as I don't think it's rocket science, just not the sort of thing you want to get wrong so it's dangerous experimenting in an attempt to learn like you would many things. So my ABS recode is still outstanding. It came off a 3 series so is wrong. The reality is I have no warning lights for the MOT but it may not work properly, if at all if I needed it in anger.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Recoding in DIS is very easy - I recoded my ABS module, though it was a long time ago. I don't recall the option being very hard to find and the coding only took a couple of minutes.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Recoding in DIS is very easy - I recoded my ABS module, though it was a long time ago. I don't recall the option being very hard to find and the coding only took a couple of minutes.
Please let me know if you remember :) I'll give it another go and if successful will be happy to create an article for consideration in the Knowledgebase for the greater good.

Thinking back, it might be that I knew DIS was the preferable tool and I couldn't get it working (my INPA is fine). So I might have tried with one of the other tools I believe it's possible with and struggled.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I have both INPA and DIS, but I have not really used DIS to do anything useful - it doesn't seem to be as easy to get working with my USB adapter. I'm North Cheshire, so you'd have to bring your car to me, but I would certainly take a look for you. Also, what is the build date of your car, as my kit only works fully with those built after about 09/98.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Thanks for the offer but logistics not really workable. Is DIS another diagnostic option to INPA?
mrscalex wrote:There's 2 distinct asks there I think:

- Someone with diagnostics to check for the error codes
- Someone who knows how to recode the ABS module if required.

Now hopefully you can find one person who can do both. But the reality is there's a lot more of us who can access the error codes than there are who can recode modules.

I have laptop based diagnostics and you'd be welcome to swing by (Swindon). The recoding I've tried but was unsuccessful - which is annoying as I don't think it's rocket science, just not the sort of thing you want to get wrong so it's dangerous experimenting in an attempt to learn like you would many things. So my ABS recode is still outstanding. It came off a 3 series so is wrong. The reality is I have no warning lights for the MOT but it may not work properly, if at all if I needed it in anger.
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

That's interesting to know Bladerunner, I'll ask the same question put to Mrscalex in that is DIS a diagnostic tool like INPA? I presume a replacement module (which I have) would have to be coded on the car. Why is coding necessary?
BladeRunner919 wrote:Recoding in DIS is very easy - I recoded my ABS module, though it was a long time ago. I don't recall the option being very hard to find and the coding only took a couple of minutes.
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Thanks for the reply Robert, car is a facelift late 1999 model (2 litre). The initial scan done (can no longer get hold of the chap) showed no signals from rear wheel sensors (now replaced with aftermarket ones) and ABS module showed defective. Presumably dud wheel sensors would bring both ABS/ASC lights on (which is the case here) as they are linked? Just wanted to find if the new sensors are working and if the module is defective. Should the module be dud how easy to swop with the replacement I have (known to work o.k)?
Robert T wrote:I have both INPA and DIS, but I have not really used DIS to do anything useful - it doesn't seem to be as easy to get working with my USB adapter. I'm North Cheshire, so you'd have to bring your car to me, but I would certainly take a look for you. Also, what is the build date of your car, as my kit only works fully with those built after about 09/98.

Cheers R.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

bentley-boy wrote:Thanks for the reply Robert, car is a facelift late 1999 model (2 litre). The initial scan done (can no longer get hold of the chap) showed no signals from rear wheel sensors (now replaced with aftermarket ones) and ABS module showed defective. Presumably dud wheel sensors would bring both ABS/ASC lights on (which is the case here) as they are linked? Just wanted to find if the new sensors are working and if the module is defective. Should the module be dud how easy to swop with the replacement I have (known to work o.k)?
Robert T wrote:I have both INPA and DIS, but I have not really used DIS to do anything useful - it doesn't seem to be as easy to get working with my USB adapter. I'm North Cheshire, so you'd have to bring your car to me, but I would certainly take a look for you. Also, what is the build date of your car, as my kit only works fully with those built after about 09/98.

Cheers R.

Hi BB I have working INPA which can plug in I can't be far away Leics/Warks border.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

bentley-boy wrote:Thanks for the reply Robert, car is a facelift late 1999 model (2 litre). The initial scan done (can no longer get hold of the chap) showed no signals from rear wheel sensors (now replaced with aftermarket ones) and ABS module showed defective. Presumably dud wheel sensors would bring both ABS/ASC lights on (which is the case here) as they are linked? Just wanted to find if the new sensors are working and if the module is defective. Should the module be dud how easy to swop with the replacement I have (known to work o.k)?
I had a 1999 2 litre facelift model so I am familiar with the cars and I also suffered throughout my ownership with the ABS lights on intermittently. I changed all the sensors and sometimes it sorted it but they always came back. In truth it never bothered me so I lived with it but when I sold it earlier this year I agreed to get it fixed and indeed it was a defective module. I sent it off and it was £30 (non refundable) to diagnose if there is any issue with it and then a further £150 to fix so all in was around £180 and thats the cheapest you will find - took about a week to come back and everything was solved. Its a common fault on these cars unfortunately.

As for recoding a replacement module the first thing is to ensure the part numbers and the models you got it off match your car which makes the compatibility and recoding easier. I havent done it myself but I know of indies that will do it for 20-30 quid or PM GOOKAH who did it for GJ8KA
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Thanks for the advice, will check part numbers of both modules and probably drop Gookah a line. Thanks everso.

Regards, Adrian

bertiejaffa wrote:
I had a 1999 2 litre facelift model so I am familiar with the cars and I also suffered throughout my ownership with the ABS lights on intermittently. I changed all the sensors and sometimes it sorted it but they always came back. In truth it never bothered me so I lived with it but when I sold it earlier this year I agreed to get it fixed and indeed it was a defective module. I sent it off and it was £30 (non refundable) to diagnose if there is any issue with it and then a further £150 to fix so all in was around £180 and thats the cheapest you will find - took about a week to come back and everything was solved. Its a common fault on these cars unfortunately.

As for recoding a replacement module the first thing is to ensure the part numbers and the models you got it off match your car which makes the compatibility and recoding easier. I havent done it myself but I know of indies that will do it for 20-30 quid or PM GOOKAH who did it for GJ8KA
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Thanks for that Brian, it would certainly be a help. When would you be free? As an aside are those AC Schnitzers type 11 in your avatar, what size rims are they as they fill the arches well.

Adrian

Brian4 wrote:

Cheers R.

Hi BB I have working INPA which can plug in I can't be far away Leics/Warks border.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Hi Adrian,
as Bertiejaffa said,
I had this issue with G8JKA's ABS ECU

The ECU unit itself is dead easy to change, 4 bolts and one cable plug. The brake fluid is in the pump unit which is not affected by removal of the ECU, so non leaks out and there is no need to bleed the brakes.

The replacement ECU we got from eBay at £45 had exactly the same part number as the old one , however it was off a scrap E46 , that's why the coding needed to be done.
The code that the unit works with needs to identify to the type of car chassis ie Z3/E36, rather than the individual car itself. I know this is the case because after I had coded it to the Z3 using my sons car. it worked on mine and my wifes' Zeds without the problems it showed before the coding.

My son had pump failure code 70 originally, and the abs lights came on and codes would not clear. Fitting the new ECU cleared the lights immediately, and all the fault codes were able to be reset and didnt return. However the abs was very intermittent and you could also spin the wheels without the traction control stopping the spinning. That is the effect we found from an incorrect ECU code.

This is how I coded my sons:

1 Go to the main INPA start up menu and you will see on the right side the program called NCS (don't open INPA)
2 Open NCS
3 In the file menu at the top you want to load the profile that you will work with, so select Expertenmodus (Werkseinstellung) and press OK
4 Now press F1 (described as FG/ZCS/FA)
5 followed by pressing F3 (described as ZCS/FAf.ECU)
In other words you want to interrogate the ECU's

What you will now do is select the chassis type and a module where you want to copy the code from so
6 in the box that opened choose E36,
7 then choose EWS. (You can choose another but I used the immobiliser system, and this is where your cars code will be copied from) you should now have details filled in from your car, meaning this code is now selected and copied.
8 Press F6 back
you will see the words "Get Coded" appear and "all Modules"

however you do not want to copy this to all modules, just the replacement ABS ECU , so
9 Select F4 Process ECU
10 choose MK20 for ABS
11 then press F3 execute job
Thats it, completed!

This worked on our facelift versions, ABS worked fine again and the traction control would kick in.
I have no experience whether this coding method is the same for the pre-facelift though I don't see why it shouldn't be.
I found this way very easy and straightforward, and I have also coded a second unit using the above methods.

Hope this is of use

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Excellent. Thank you. I shall have another go.
ImageImage
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

That is absolutely brilliant thanks Gookah, someone who knows what they are on with is great. I did try contacting you but the search results came up as "member does not exist" or some such message. Nice to know the whole unit does not need changing along with brake bleeding, I wondered what this coding business was about. I have another module/pump from a same year zed known to work just from a 1.9 whereas the one in question is a 2.0 (both 1999). Hopefully Brian is going to do the business with his box of magic. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards, BB
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Gookah, what a star! Swopped over the module today, 5-10 minute job and out went the lights! Out of curiosity I switched back to the original module and lights were back on, switched over to the replacement again and lights off. Result. Guess the fault codes will still register until plugging into INPA and clearing?

Thanks again, BB
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Brilliant Gookah........Mods can one of you edit this and pop it in the KB please?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I shall add some screens shots first in the next few days.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
DanHolman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DanHolman »

I had the ABS/ASC lights on 2 weeks before my MOT. I fixed it in the following way.

1. Get local ATS Auto centre to run diagnostic- No result. Get BMW dealer diagnostic check showed fault with pump. £89.21. BMW dealer Quote for repair £crazy money.
2. wrote down exact part numbers from my ABS/ASC pump on car.
3. eBay! purchase 2nd hand pump/module £50- £100. mine was £100.
4. Over hall/replace ABS/ASC unit as follows-
a. disc. battery
b. disc. plug to unit ( lift black section and gently pull back on main section at same time). clean with elec. contact cleaner.
c. sprayed bolts holding module to pump with WD40 and edges of module so WD40 can work into the bottom of the bolt and very carefully undo the 4 Torx bolts (female size E5) holding module to pump.
d. slide away/release ABS module from pump.
e inspect solenoids for corrosion damage; in my case one was corroded. cleaned carefully with brasso and cotton bud until smooth.
f. gave a general clean to all components.
g. fitted 2nd hand ABS module to pump.
ABS/ASC lights went out. Total cost £189.21.
thoughts- My original module may now work after cleaning the solenoids? BMW diagnostic showed fault with pump, this was not exactly the case it was the module Go figure? There was a lot of dirt and water corrosion on the inside of both my original unit and the 2nd hand one because the module is only bolted to the pump manifold. A sealing gasket between the module and the manifold would be a better design. I may make a gasket or silicone to avoid future problems.
I hope this helps. Any questions?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

gookah wrote:I shall add some screens shots first in the next few days.
That would be great Gookah :thumb: