Facelift rear bumper swap to the prefacelift widebody?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
superhuba

Z3 roadster 2.8

Facelift rear bumper swap to the prefacelift widebody?

Post by superhuba »

Hi!
Does anybody know if the rear bumper from facelift roadster (all facelift are wide) will fit the widebody prefacelift roadster?
Thanks for info :wink:
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Facelift rear bumper swap to the prefacelift widebody?

Post by deni2s »

I think will not fit. Fenders are different.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'm not so sure they aren't the same. The metal bumper part inside is certainly the same.

Realoem suggests they are the same part. Hopefully a more learned forum member will be along in a minute to confirm as I'm curious myself.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

I think the rear wings are different shapes on the wheel arch flares so I would say not.... But I may be wrong.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I've been hunting through old threads on this subject, looking for a comparison photo, but it seems to have fallen off the interweb. When I get chance, I will make up another one and host it on here so that it can be used for reference.

The general consensus is that the pre-facelift widebody (2.8) and ///M rear bumpers are interchangeable, but the facelift is not. I suspect it will be down to the shape of the light clusters and to fit these you need to change the rear wings and the boot lid, but as the inner wings are also different, the rear wings may well not fit anyway.

In contrast the front-end stayed the same and you can interchange front bumpers, with the only caveat being that the pre-facelift 1.9 had sidelights in the headlights rather than in the bumper.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Possibly this one.

realoem suggests they are the same part (unless I'm misreading it). The rear wing itself may have a different top profile but I'm not convinced it's a different fit around the bumper itself. The photos suggest it may be but I think the perspectives may be slightly different.

I'm only examining the evidence here. I clearly don't know from first hand experience.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Sorry. Still none the wiser Andy!

What I do know is the bumper to rear wing plastic rivet system is different between pre facelift narrow body and facelift. That's from experience as the Knowledgebase article on here is due to this strictly speaking facelift only although all other mountings are the same type.

I have what I think is all 3 potential bumper types so I will line them up and check when I have a moment. And see if I can write a definitive position.
ImageImage