To buy... or not to buy..

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Takumi

M roadster S50

To buy... or not to buy..

Post by Takumi »

Just a quicky!

There may be a chance of a very low mileage S50 roadster but there is no service booklet / history with the car. The current owner is known, the car is known, I know the car HAS been serviced at BMW under the current longterm ownership there is just no proof! The paperwork has gone AWOL in a move.

Id be buying the car to DRIVE not to lock away!

What wold you do....?
tfp

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: To buy... or not to buy..

Post by tfp »

If the seller can tell you where the car's been serviced then get a replacement service book and get it stamped up.

If that's not possible then you just have to understand that when the time comes to sell many buyers wouldn't consider the car with out history.

So if the car is very nice go for it, but the price should reflect the lack of history.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

:colourful: The S50 is the engine type but as you describe it as an "S50 roadster" l assume you are referring to a car.

BMW dealer will have a record of the servicing and as already said, they will be able to provide it if you can prove ownership of the car.

Also it's usually obvious from looking at a car how it's been looked after. Can you give any more details. Mileage, model, price? Sytner currently have a 20,000 mile Z3 3.0 for sale at £17,000!
Takumi

M roadster S50

Post by Takumi »

Yeah, I know S50 is the engine type.. I just couldnt be bothered typing Z3 M Roadster S50 engine... I'm lazy. But now I've typed it! lol

The car has been serviced by BMW and its been the same owner for 12 years. The owner is pretty fastidious, so it is frustrating the history and associated bumf was lost. I'm checking if BMW can confirm the history and offer a stamped book, but I wanted to seek advice before I jump in head first!

Its under 40k miles for £14k Fully loaded roadster and only in need of a good clean!
nang

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nang »

If I was worried about the resale value of a car, I would have missed out on the many good cars that I've owned, loved and enjoyed, over many years. Go for it. :squeeze:
Tony.
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

I think if i was spending that sort of money on any car I would want it to be spot on, which would include a record of any servicing, and the proper servicing records for that car. Personally I am not too bothered if an older car comes with service history stamped up to date or not - let's face it the majority of services carried out by main dealers consist of an oil and filter change and a general visual check of everything else. I would rather be handed a wad of garage receipts of work carried out, which will give me a much clearer indication of what has been done to the car and how it has been looked after, especially things like, tyres, exhausts, timing belts, etc.
This together with the MOT history, which is now freely available for any car, will give you a good indication of problems the car has had and confirmation of the mileage of the car.
I service all my own cars and have done for forty years - always keeping invoices for the parts bought and fitted, as well as any parts that have been replaced.
The only real advantage of a fully stamped service book is that it is nice to show to any prospective purchaser.

added later ...
SORRY ONLY JUST REALISED THE ORIGINAL POST WAS A MONTH AGO - SO PRESUME THE OP EITHER BOUGHT THE CAR OR MISSED HIS CHANCE CHASING THE SERVICE HISTORY
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Any update on this.

Did you buy the car? That's very cheap for an M Roadster with that mileage. Assuming it's in good condition of course and not been in an accident or anything.