Anyone use a wind blocker ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
330indy

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Anyone use a wind blocker ?

Post by 330indy »

Recommended wind blocker, anyone? I know there are many out there.
Interested in favorites of members here....
Thanks
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Anyone use a wind blocker ?

Post by peter2b »

I used a plastic type, worked quite well but mine snapped so I'm looking for another type may be a mesh type
peter2b
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I've used the OE mesh type and it is very good. I would say essential if you want to travel faster than 40 mph :D
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I also use the OEM mesh type, absolutely wouldn't be without it.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

peter2b wrote:I used a plastic type, worked quite well but mine snapped so I'm looking for another type may be a mesh type
peter2b
The plastic must have been too thin as I have a plastic one done 70 plus with it and was ok. I did make it myself though
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

I have a plastic one with Z3 engraved into it , looks the bees knees and does the job
BILLZ3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by BILLZ3 »

I have both original mesh and a plastic one , both are good but the missus prefers the plastic one and it does show off the hoops better :) :)
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

I've got a plastic one that I got from the 'bay. Works fine, but you can't put things behind the seats when the roof is up, because there's not enough gap between the blocker and the roof. It's not that quick to take on and off either.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I have a plastic one, , if its not raining, the only thing I put on the shelf behind the seats is the roof.
Mine is left on all year around even with the hardtop on.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

I have a plastic one and its fitted Spring to Autumn. Never use it during the winter. Key difference is the winter here has lots of cold, fine and windless days and the blocker is just not needed for top down driving. It also allows for putting your puff jacket in the soft top shelve when the top is up and you don't need to wear the jacket.

Spring is very windy and the blocker is needed. Summer and Autumn have variable winds and you don't need the puff jackets, so the blocker stays on.

Car is driven top down most fine days when the temp is above 5C.
330indy

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Post by 330indy »

Thanks all so far!
Any links to deals?
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

The best deal I got was from an independent industrial surplus warehouse, selling 5mm perspex sheets 10€ per m2. Found a sheet big enough for 4 attempts. I used template found on the forum and made a cardboard prototype, later fine-tuned at the base of the roll bars. The perspex sheet is thin enough to be cut very neatly with a jigsaw, then edges smoothed over with a file. Currently awaiting delivery of 3cm wide Velcro straps to attach screen with. Photos to follow when project is complete, but here's one with white protective film still on:

Depending on how it performs, I might end up selling the mesh OE one. My issue will be ease of access to cubby hole between the seats, hence Velcro straps rather than something perhaps more discreet but permanent.
With a bit of patience and a steady hand, it's actually a fairly easy project.

Boosh.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

The other problem is if you need access to the storage area behind the wind blocker.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I have an OEM mesh and TBH I'm generally displeased due to the limited rear view. To make things worse - the top of the metal frame creates a big black horizontal line across the rear view. Nevertheless it looks the real deal and only use it on big outings - pretty much like the Tonneau...
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Fender2004 wrote:
peter2b wrote:I used a plastic type, worked quite well but mine snapped so I'm looking for another type may be a mesh type
peter2b
The plastic must have been too thin as I have a plastic one done 70 plus with it and was ok. I did make it myself though
My clear acrylic type has seen well over 100 mph! It's still in one piece!
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
HomerRamone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by HomerRamone »

I got a clear one from these guys
http://www.justroadster.com/

Well happy with it - tested at <ahem> the speed limit for a 150+ mile drive :)
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

mine was perspex type I broke it trying to get it out without dropping the soft top bent it too far, the only thing wrong with it was I could not open the top cubby hole or put thing behind it
peter2b
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Have had the OEM mesh type for 16 years. Always leave it on, just zip the middle panel down when the hood is up (not very often) for better vision. Still looks very smart, does the job and I can reach both of the back lockers with ease. Cheers.
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

My OE mesh wind blocker works incredibly well but it has faded. What's the best way to get the crisp black colour back??
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

I aint got hoops so i assume i am stuffed....?

Grrrrr
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

handsomejackuk wrote:I aint got hoops so i assume i am stuffed....?
No, you need the mesh type which comes with its own stand-alone frame - I believe these are different for pre and post facelift cars :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Zedbedee wrote:My OE mesh wind blocker works incredibly well but it has faded. What's the best way to get the crisp black colour back??
Faded or dusty? Mine benefited immensely from a good wash. If it has faded then fabric die would work on the mesh and the end pieces I think are vinyl, so perhaps some vinyl roof restorer?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

was going to make one out of a pair of my fishnet tights and a suspender belt and a bit of wood...

but think that may look crap.... :lol:
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

handsomejackuk wrote:was going to make one out of a pair of my fishnet tights and a suspender belt and a bit of wood...
Ah.... Stockings and suspender belts! Us guys of a certain age remember those. We used to call the bare flesh above the stocking top the giggle zone..... If you got your hand up to there you were laughing! :thumb:

:cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Ahhh yes, those school days. Down the back of the sports field behind the bike sheds with the girls! ! !.

I loved that caretakers job!!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Just finished mine!
Drilling the slots for the Velcro straps was the trickiest, but a bit of patience and and steady hand were enough. And I'm quite pleased with the outcome. And the savings! I'll find out how it performs tomorrow.

Boosh.
Migou

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Post by Migou »

Boosh wrote:Just finished mine!
Drilling the slots for the Velcro straps was the trickiest, but a bit of patience and and steady hand were enough. And I'm quite pleased with the outcome. And the savings! I'll find out how it performs tomorrow.

Boosh.

That looks similar to the one I ordered. Not sure if y'all can get them over there. Windblox is the name.