help 1 series

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

help 1 series

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi anybody share any light on this bit of an hiccup when driving my 118d ( raining z3 in bed ) asked the obd whats up came back with fuel filter heater activation, exhaust gas recirculation valve wrong position. cleared the faults drove it about for a couple of days no hiccups, did a obd check keeps coming up fuel filter heater activation.
1. should I worry
2. ignore it ( after all whats a bit of warm diesel going to do ? )
any advice clues as to which sensor is playing up would be of great help
Thanks think I will just have to drive the z all the time!
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: help 1 series

Post by lightning »

There was a recall on the 1 series for a fuel heater wiring problem, the harness could short out and put the fuel heater on continuously.

You could contact BMW to see if your car is affected, and if it was done.
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi
Thanks for that information, Have been in touch with my local sytners and BMW uk, they both say this was a recall on another BMW but not the one series, there advice was take it in and pay £150 to be told what I already know and if it I a wiring fault I may be able to get some good will from BMW, think I will try my local independent first.
again thanks for your help
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

You have my sympathy. My daily driver is a modern, German turbo diesel. Great car with great economy but so overly complicated with various sensors and other electronic aides surrounding the “common rail” injection and combustion process. You never know with a vague error code like this whether it just requires a simple diesel fuel filter change? :shrug
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I get driven mad by the fallout from the complexity of my 2013 Seat Alhambra.

I normally get told by the dealer if there's no code they can't investigate it. Then when they find a code they say, well the car's running okay no need to fiddle.

In fairness they always log every query I have, together with any codes that come and go. So if something serious goes wrong later I've got some come back.

These latest Alhambras are too complicated for me. And unlike Z3s no helpful forums to be part of.

I've had Alhambras for 17 years (on number 4) but I think this may be my last Alhambra and Seat. I can't imagine other manufacturers are much different though.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi
Have had this car from new brought the five year service pack when I got it so it has been serviced by sytners from new last service a fuel filter change was done the fault could not have been there then or I am sure a big bill would have come my way has it would have not been covered by the service pack by the way if I had to pay for the last service it was north of £700 best £300 I ever spent at BMW for the service pack
the car has only covered 42000 so I think I will live with whatever is going on mind you choice between 1 series and Z3 the Z wins every time
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The BMW extendable warranty is excellent. My brother has one on his 1 Series. It costs him £600 per year and covers everything apart from service items, even wear and tear. It covers any age car and keeps going until 120,000 miles I think it is. Haven't ever seen a comparable warranty with any other manufacturer.

You really need to take it up after the original warranty runs out (new or secondhand) and keep it running. Otherwise you have to have a 'take-on' inspection that costs a couple of hundred quid and no doubt would require all sorts of expense putting things right and onto a clean footing before they accepted it into the scheme.

I would say most 3+ year old cars would need £600 of exceptional/one-off repairs (as opposed to service) cost every year. So it looks a bargain to me. My brother's certainly glad to have it. He's had most of his premium back in repairs and I think it will come into it's own the older the car gets (6 years now) and it gives him piece of mind and known expenditure.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The BMW extendable warranty is excellent. My brother has one on his 1 Series. It costs him £600 per year and covers everything apart from service items, even wear and tear. It covers any age car and keeps going until 120,000 miles I think it is. Haven't ever seen a comparable warranty with any other manufacturer.

You really need to take it up after the original warranty runs out (new or secondhand) and keep it running. Otherwise you have to have a 'take-on' inspection that costs a couple of hundred quid and no doubt would require all sorts of expense putting things right and onto a clean footing before they accepted it into the scheme.

I would say most 3+ year old cars would need £600 of exceptional/one-off repairs (as opposed to service) cost every year. So it looks a bargain to me. My brother's certainly glad to have it. He's had most of his premium back in repairs and I think it will come into it's own the older the car gets (6 years now) and it gives him piece of mind and known expenditure.
ImageImage
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

http://www.bmwforums.info/general-bmw-c ... eater.html

Recall included the 1 Series. Potential failure of the fuel heater wiring harness, but only certain build dates.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

lightning wrote:http://www.bmwforums.info/general-bmw-c ... eater.html

Recall included the 1 Series. Potential failure of the fuel heater wiring harness, but only certain build dates.
Link not working? Site itself seems to be up.
ImageImage
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi
thanks again for the information, it seems my car was made in 2010 which were not affected ? funny that I am now getting the same fault as the others ! then again mine can not be the only 1 series made then, perhaps the fault is only starting to manifest itself ?