Z3 gone bang :(

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 gone bang :(

Post by RichP »

Hi,

It's been a serious amount of time since i posted on here. life has been getting in the way. Wondering if any of you expert folk can help advise me on something.

Story so far:

I did a stupid.

Z3 MOT expired, and we had a lot going on, so I sorn'd it for about 8 months. But then our other car really went bang (terminal) so i was in a hurry to have a car, so i threw the BMW into MOT the next day. Sadly it seems the radiatior had drained itself, so during the emissions test it massively overheated and fried the head gasket.

Lesson - take 30 seconds to check some levels first :dunce:

The rough estimate i have had for all the work, including new timing chain while they are there, is £1500-1800. Its a 1.9 with 80k, so thats about the value of the car. But i REALLY don't want to get rid of it. (had it 7 years and i know i would miss it).

My question is this - would it actually be cheaper to have a whole engine dropped in? and the follow up question - what engines will drop straight in? (i have always wished it had a little more power). I'm not talking Z3M level where every other bit needs uprating, just a 2.2 or 2.8 maybe?

Its a 1.9 T reg (pre facelift).

Cheers.
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 gone bang :(

Post by Brian H »

If you are looking for a quick cheap fix replace like for like, dropping in a 2.2 or 2.8 is a bit more of a project, I am pretty sure a t reg 1.9 will be a M44 engine so you should be able to pick one up quite cheaply.

A very quick search brings up the following

ebay link

Good Luck
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I have a 150k 1.9 M44 from my breaker which ran like a dream when I drove the car home.

You're welcome to it for free if you want to come and extract it yourself but it will be the bare engine as I want all the ancillaries off it for spares.

I'd not recommend putting a 6 cylinder in. Save your pennies for a real one.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

thanks for the advice. was just dreaming that the 6cyls might just drop in :)

Those engines are cheap, i was hoping for a fairly low mileage one as i plan on keeping the car indefinitely, but thanks.

Is the radiator/cooling system the same on the 318's as the 1.9 z3?

As you have proabably guessed, I wont be doing the work myself! so i'll need to find someone to do it.

The other car that went bang is a 2010 Mazda 6 2.2d 163 engine (completeley siezed) - cant find them much less than £1k! and they are like hens teeth apparrently.
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I would stick a 2.8 in it. Bolts straight in. You just need the ECU to go with it, and prob Ews needs deleting but thats easy done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Just to add another view - 80k is low mileage – is the engine OK apart from the head gasket? The timing chains on these M44s are bullet proof and even the timing chain tensioner was totally reliable having been updated from the M42 predecessor. Timing chains are only really a “problem” on some newer BMWs. Why is this being highlighted as a necessary repair?

Personally, to avoid drive train and suspension mods, I would look to fit a new radiator, water pump and head gasket. I would get the head checked to see whether it had warped and thus needed to be skimmed. I would be aiming to keep the 1.9 format and aiming to spend up to £1,000 (main dealer cost of a routine service plus new discs/pads all round :D ).
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

everything is fine except this development. Been an awesome car for the 6-7 yrs ive had it. Only thing i was going to get done was a bit of bodywork - little bit of rear arch/sill rust and the bonnet is "delaminating" (i suspect that could be a respray not original paintwork).

YOu think i can get all that work you say done for £1k?
Image Image
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Around 4 hours work (professional time) to replace a head gasket? To replace a timing chain (I've done it on another transverse engine) is a bit of a mission and can take a mechanic 5 hours. A BMW timing chain would be expensive as would be the kit including new guides and tensioner - as I said above, I would query why this is deemed necessary on one of these cars. If the existing head had warped, I would perhaps look at skimming versus a salvaged, good condition head - so that the mechanic has a straightforward bolt on/off job plus new head gasket and stretch bolts. A water pump would be good preventative maintenance at 80K and of course fixing the leak which may or may not involve a new rad and/or expansion tank -it might just be a loose jubilee clip? :D
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I had similar head gasket problem earlier this year, which ended up in putting a new second-hand engine in. 60k miles, 1 year warranty, €1800. Plus the cost of fitting it, new clutch, new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator. She'd better not break down ever again! And apparently, the cause of the car's over-heating that led to the breakdown was a faulty radiator relay... Talk about a small cheap part with big expensive consequences...
Hope you end up fixing you pride and joy, you know she's worth it.

Boosh.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

£300 will get you a low mileage engine from a salvage yard. These engines are very common and normally very reliable so as a consequence people struggle to sell them. If you shop around £150 might be possible. Add £60 for courier unless you're paying top end money and I'd expect it to be included.

I'd guess a garage could do the swap in 6 hours (probably same sort of hours as a head gasket as in some ways it's a simpler job). Labour at £80 hour would be £480. Secondhand rad £50, decent new one £200-£300 (Nissens popular on here I believe, that's what's in my brothers 1.9).

Sensible to change sump and top cover gaskets, oil and filter, coolant, water pump, thermostat. That lot will push the price of the engine itself at about £200.

So £1000-£1200.

If you go this route use a reputable salvage yard as many are happy to not test properly and sell you a crappy engine and when it doesn't work go sorry pal here's your cashback. Not helpful when all your other costs will be duplicated. I'm looking for a 2.2 currently and I was recommended a place in Kent by my local BMW independent who has a very good reputation locally. I spoke to them and they certainly sounded very competent but the only 2.2 they had was 110k miles which was too much. They wanted £550 with shipping which was fair money for this particular engine. They are Bridgend Recycling.

In theory a non Z3 1.9, ie 318 is fine. But manifolds and certain ancillaries may need to be swapped on from your old engine. It will add to the expense so I would get one from a Z3 with everything still bolted on, potentually no more money for the hardware and overall less money as cheaper on labour.

Radiator from a 318i not sure but I'd think different.

Keep it simple and get all parts from a Z3. There are lots and lots and lots being broken, you are spoilt for choice and in a good position to haggle.

Alternatively, if you get lucky you may find a decent back street garage who will fix with a head skim and new gasket for under £500. My other half had her Saxo done for £400 but that was about 6 years ago. And hopefully discover a simple, no cost fix for the leak like the clip suggested.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

In my experience these things can start off at one price and can quickly escalate, especially if you are not a mechanic and not doing the job yourself. With the bodywork issues and rust starting to appear your car could be at the point of becoming a frustrating never ending money pit. If it was me I would cut my losses and sell the car as is for £500 as a breaker with suspected head gasket issue and then buy a 2.2 or 2.8 for 3k +/- and you will then have a big smile on your face with no aggravation..
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Alan W wrote:In my experience these things can start off at one price and can quickly escalate, especially if you are not a mechanic and not doing the job yourself. With the bodywork issues and rust starting to appear your car could be at the point of becoming a frustrating never ending money pit. If it was me I would cut my losses and sell the car as is for £500 as a breaker with suspected head gasket issue and then buy a 2.2 or 2.8 for 3k +/- and you will then have a big smile on your face with no aggravation..
Very sound advice from a purely financial point of view and bearing in mind the desire for a bigger engine. There are decent 2.2s around currently for about £2k.

But I think the OP is quite attached to his car and the rust may not be major? A bonnet respray will be say £300. He might be lucky and get a decent second-hand one for £100-£150 but would need to hire a van for £50 to get it home unless he has access to one.

So let's say £1,800 to repair (head and bonnet) and the car is worth £1,500 fixed or £500 as is (hopefully worst case in all instances). So that's either an £1,800 hit fighting forwards or £1,000 throwing the towel in.

With £500 from the 1.9 another £1,500 required for a cheap 2.2. That's less than the cost of making good as Alan W says.

Yes, very good advice if you are prepared to part with the car.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Just looking at the new post scrolling box on the home screen. Mis-read it as Z3 gang bang as it stuttered upwards.

Should've gone to Specsavers.
ImageImage
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

and the rust may not be major..
I think that Z3's like a lot of cars of the era rust from the inside out.. so if you can see rust on the outside you can bet that there's even more that you can't see beneath. I know how it feels to be attached to a car but I also get the feeling that the OP isn't that mechanically skilled so he will prob have to pay someone to do a lot of the work.. it seems there's going to be a lot of time and effort and money needed with this car; and after all that and if nothing else goes wrong it will still only be worth a couple of grand max..

On another note that's the beauty of these cars.. they look great and can be picked up fairly cheap.. secondhand parts are plentiful and many owners can work on them themselves.. but at least if you end up buying buy a lemon or a seemingly good car that turns into a money pit and you have to scrap it.. its only a couple of grand..

Rich.. think long and hard.. and if you do decide to cut your losses the pain will soon subside if you then buy a 6 cylinder in it's place my friend..
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I won't disagree with any of that Alan W.

But a little investment of time learning how to do stuff is well rewarded as Z3s are so simple to work on. Rusty, dented, lacquer peel panels? Unbolt and put one from a salvage yard on. No messing have it resprayed. Obviously if you're really attached like my brothers 1999 1.9 he's had from new then you may want to repair what's there.

Of course sill covers from a pre facelift are the one thing you'll never likely pick up rust free from a breaker as they go on most cars. But genuine new ones are available for £150 + paint a side.

Probably worth adding you could have a rust free sill cover on the outside and it's hiding worse on the inside. They rust inside out as you say.
ImageImage
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Earlier in this thread somebody offered you a FREE engine!

Why not just fit that? The mileage shouldn't put you off. If it's been looked after it'll do another 100,000.
A free engine.....sounds like a no brainer to me but the offer was skipped over?

If you had seven years good fun with the 1.9 then what's to stop you having another seven.
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Thanks for all the advise/suggestions. As mentioned I can't do much beyond simple maintenance (I replaced the front ball joints once, that's as involved as i get).

If i wanted to put the free engine in i would still have to pay someone to do it, which makes up the bulk of the cost. Sadly my father-in-law just moved to South Africa, he could have done it :roll:

I'm going to have to think on it. I would be very sad to see it go, even if replaced, but I might just have to. The other issue is that my personal situation has changed since i bought it, and we just bought a big family car as we have 2 large dogs and maybe a baby next year, so if i sell it it will be hard to justify (to myself and to my wife) replacing it when i'm realistically not going to use it very often (I know i would be spending the same fixing this one up, and it makes me sound insane, but that doesn't seem the same :cry: ). I guess i just want to fix it out of sentimental attachment, which is financially nonsense.

It will indeed need new sill covers soon, and the rust is creeping into the arches from old stone chips, so it might be looking like a money pit.

:head: :head: :head: :bawl:
Image Image
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

If you can do a ball joint then changing an engine is just a series of jobs of a similar order of complexity :)

But it will be a fairly long one if you've never done it before (you and me both, I'm about to do a 2.2).
ImageImage
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I guess it's make or break time for this Z3 !

If you are attached to the car, or it's a particularly good one, then it's going to be worth repairing. Otherwise you could pick up a useable 2.8/3.0 for maybe £3,000.....or less if you are lucky.
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

mrscalex wrote:If you can do a ball joint then changing an engine is just a series of jobs of a similar order of complexity :)

But it will be a fairly long one if you've never done it before (you and me both, I'm about to do a 2.2).

Is this really a job that i can have a crack at? I dont have a lot to lose to be honest. I dont need the car for transport. The £500 spares-or-repair value just upsets me. I'm assuming that beause it got hotter than a thousand suns when it went it will need skimming, which I would have to get done somewhere... anyone know how much that would be?

According to that Royal Navy advert if i can fix a skateboard I can fix a battleship.......
Image Image
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

P.S. anyone know how to fix a skateboard? :wink:
Image Image
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

It was a genuine remark and I stand by it.

But what I wouldn't do is go messing around removing the head yourself and more so replacing it. That's opening you up to error, even garages mess up that job sometimes. They certainly did on my car and they are otherwise completely competent.

If you're going to roll-up your sleeves I'd do the whole engine.

What have you got to loose financially? Couple of hundred quid for an engine and the hire of an engine crane.

If it all goes wrong you're unlikely to devalue the car anymore. But you could chew up serious amounts of your time.

I'll be documenting my 2.2 engine replacement (search for Okus) and that may help you. I'm no expert. I just plan to do it over 2-3 months, 2 or 3 hours at a time as I don't want it impacting the rest of my life.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Some more thoughts to reflect on:
  1. Have a word with 'spurs fan in a coupe'. He's a serial breaker and from a recent comment I think he has a few 1.9 engines sat around
  2. Get yourself an engine with the inlet manifold and all ancillaries still attached. Swap the whole lot intact. This will avoid your time, risk of error and cost - genuine gaskets are not cheap
  3. The engine from a 3 Series will fit but if you want to keep it simple use a Z3 engine to avoid having to swap non-compatible bits and bobs over. I don't know what the bits and bobs are and perhaps on an M44 they are identical. But on an M54 2.2 the sump and oil pick-up pipe are different. As above time/error/cost.
  4. Take the gearbox out with the engine
  5. Not sure how necessary this is on an M44 but with my M54 replacement I will be taking the front end of the car off. It sounds horrible but it's not difficult. That will give great access
  6. Label each pair of connections with stickers A, B, C etc so you create a 'paint-by-numbers'
  7. Consider getting yourself a written-off car as a donor. You should be able to pick one up for about £500 (same money as yours - going rate for a dead one). You can get some fantastic low mileage bargains like that. It will be a great source of spares, especially if you get one in your colour and may even yield decent examples of the panels you need. You can also sell bits off it to finance the engine replacement. Or dare I say it if the car you end up with is better than yours apart from the accident damage then repair that one and use your current car as the donor
  8. I hadn't touched a car for 30 years until my brother's Z3 a couple of years ago. I did do quite a lot of work on my old Mk 1/2 Escorts back then but there was a lot of 'whole unit swaps' going on, engines, gearboxes, axles without understanding how the internals work - you don't need to! If you are confident with basic tools (important but if you can do a ball-joint...) then I believe you could do an engine swap given time, patience and an understanding family as you go missing for hours on end and bang-on about your latest set-back to them :lol:
  9. Check every last article article, forum post (not just this forum - others are available I just don't find them as friendly) and Youtube video you can to see how others do it
  10. Don't stress on it. There's only really 3 options 1) Spend the money and get a garage to fix it for you 2) Do the work yourself on a budget 3) Sell the car as-is. I would weigh up respectively 1) Have you got the money and is the car worth it? 2) Have you got the time? 3) Can you bring yourself to do this? It's the default solution if 1 or 2 aren't going to happen
  11. Start a thread on here to use as a progress journal. Take photos every session and describe what you did. People will find that interesting and will be able to help when you get stuck.
ImageImage
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

lt is possible, and not as hard as you might think. You just need time and space!

My friend's VW Polo oil pressure light was on and a garage diagnosed oil pump failure.

The car was not worth repairing....so (having never done anything like it before) l hired an engine crane and set to it on my friend's drive.
I got the engine out, just disconnected everything....took the sump off and removed the oil pump, which was on the end of the crank shaft. The keyway had sheared off the oil pump so it was not rotating, so l fitted a new one.
I dropped the engine back in and took the engine crane back. Then discovered the driveshafts wouldn't go back in without lifting the engine...
So had to dismantle the suspension.
But it all went back and the car was fine after that. The little 1.1 litre lump apparantly having survived being driven with zero oil pressure.
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Thanks again for the replies.

I'm now thinking i will go along this route. I have the space to do it, and it seems worth a shot. The satisfaction of getting it back up and running would be immense!

Theres not a lot of engines on ebay, and they are all from 318's. I'll try the local scrappies, and the memebr you mentioned on here. No big hurry though so i will hold out for an engine/donor car worth the time and effort.

I'll start a thread when I get going as you mentioned.

The Mrs is going to love it when i pull the car onto the back patio and dismantle :)

Cheers.
Image Image
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'd try Bridgend Recycling in Kent that I think I mentioned too. I'm told by the local BMW specialist they have a very good reputation and that's where he gets his engines from. I can't personally vouch for them but I did speak to them on the phone and was happy with what he had to say.

Expect to pay more from them than the £200 I've been suggesting is the price point for one with (perhaps) a little less provenance on ebay. I'm guessing more like £300-£400. Spurs fan is still probably your best bet though.

On ebay did you check the cars that are being broken? Try a search string like 'z3 (breaking,for spares,accident,damaged,salvage) bmw'.

The thing is when someone breaks a 1.9 they don't really expect to sell the engine. So they tend to leave it in until they get an enquiry. So message the breakers. You will also get a chance to hear the engine running (possibly).

Re: the missus. Just work on it in short stints and don't let it take over your life! There's no rush by the sound of it and it's a very suitable job for doing in multiple sessions.
ImageImage
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Rich
Put your location in your members details, I'm sure if any of us are near you the odd helping hand would be forthcoming when you set about the transplant.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

I'm up north. In Runcorn.

An ebay search for breakers has brought one up 15miles away at a scrappy I have been to a few times. No details on mileage etc. I'll give them a ring in the morning.

How much does an engine weigh? 200-250kg? can i get that in the back of a 1.7d hyundai ix35? (using a hoist)
Image Image
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

If in doubt I'd ask about delivery. An engine can go the length and breadth of the country on a pallet for £60.

So locally it might be, dunno, making it up. £30? Or the breaker may deliver it?

You've got to think about crane arm access and swinging the engine into the car. Is there a tailgate in the way?

I wouldn't put one in the back of my Alhambra or any family car personally. Something really rugged like a Land Rover maybe.
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

RichP wrote: How much does an engine weigh? 200-250kg? can i get that in the back of a 1.7d hyundai ix35? (using a hoist)
About 100kg according to RealOEM. See here.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Robert T wrote:About 100kg according to RealOEM.
I've never noticed that! That's the same weight as a fairly fat bloke like me :lol: Even a 6 cylinder is only 127Kg. Those are short engine and weight would obviously increase with manifolds and ancilliaries bolted on.

With the weight distributed on a pallet I would actually consider putting an M44 in my Alhambra, still not sure about an M54.
ImageImage