accelerator pedal sticking

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

accelerator pedal sticking

Post by mickdev »

Hello all, I have a 2000 Z3 1.8 and when I press the accelerator pedal, the firsty10mm or so are very stiff leading to a jerking action when accelerating.
Past the first 10mm or so it is perfectly smooth.
Any advice on either a simple ,quick or permanent fix.
cheers
Mick
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: accelerator pedal sticking

Post by colb »

Make sure the pedal pivot is free from dirt and small stones that get carried in on shoes, hoover any debris out from around the pivot and then lubricate with WD40 or a spray lubricant like GT85. Work the pedal up and down to work the lubricant in and check for any binding points.
This assumes that the throttle cable is in good order throughout its length, if it still binds after doing the pedal then remove the cable at the throttle body end and drop lube down the cable, might be worth taking the cable out and taking the inner out to check there are no broken strands that are the cause of the binding, if there is then replace the cable with a new one.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=35_0154

If the cable is ok turn attention to the throttle body and with the cable disconnected check the operation of the throttle butterfly lever and its range of movement, it should be easy to operate with no binding.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

happened to me turned out to be the throttle body was sticking... follow the cable under the bonnet to the throttle body and take the cover off the top, black plastic cover.. then try and actuate the throttle butterfly to see if its sticky if it is, its an easy job to remove the throttle body and give the butterfly plates and the intake side of the body a good clean there normally a black carbon deposit that causes it to be sticky, it cetainly helped a load for me as it was really sticky when coming off the throttle and pressing it was quite jerky....

hope this helps....
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I've also had the throttle body sticking, though in my case it didn't do it on every press of the accelerator, and tended to happen on the first press after the car had been sitting, or sometimes if I'd been decelerating with the throttle closed (I assume the vacuum in the throttle body pulled the flap slightly tighter).
A good clean, as suggested by handsomejack, would be a worthwhile exercise, as well and making sure all the linkages are free to move and not binding up.
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I would go for a new cable. Its not a lot of money, easy to replace, and it makes such a difference in the driving. I used to be of the opinion that oiling it would do, put it tends to break down on the inside so doesnt work properly. Theres threads telling how to remove it- theres a ball on one end that fits in a groove under the throttle body.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

John Wilson wrote:I would go for a new cable. Its not a lot of money, easy to replace, and it makes such a difference in the driving. I used to be of the opinion that oiling it would do, put it tends to break down on the inside so doesnt work properly. Theres threads telling how to remove it- theres a ball on one end that fits in a groove under the throttle body.

x2
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

Thanks for the info