WANTED M52 oil sump

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

WANTED M52 oil sump

Post by Koolflyer »

Anyone have or know of an M52 oil sump for a 1997 2.8 Z3 for sale?
KF
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: WANTED M52 oil sump

Post by mrscalex »

I have a seized M54 engine which will be coming out at some stage over the next couple of months. They are the same sump.

I am replacing the entire engine so it will be spare. The catch is it has a hole in it. I was quoted £60-£80 to have it repaired.

But I've found Z3 M52/M54 sumps to be very thin on the ground. People advertise 3 Series etc sumps on ebay as being for Z3s but they are not quite the same.

If you're not in a hurry I was looking for £20 plus postage for it. A good one might set you back over £100 based on ebay prices I would think. There again someone kind person may pop up on here with a bargain for you.

If you have a non Z3 engine you're dropping in you'll need the oil pick-up pipe as well. Otherwise my checking on realoem suggests everything else is the same, even the exhaust manifolds.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

mrscalex wrote:I have a seized M54 engine which will be coming out at some stage over the next couple of months. They are the same sump.
Hi mrscalex

Sorry for not coming back for a while, but been out of the .net loop for a bit due work and time, but thanks for the offer :thumb:. My friend has the M54 engine in his 2.2 which has a plug on the bottom NS front for the oil level indicator, whereas my M52 2.8 sump has the same plug but nothing plugged in as I don't have the oil level indicator. Also, my existing sump doesn't seem to sit dead flush with the bottom of the block by only a few mm, but does seem strange?? Along with the redundant oil level indicator plug, I'm just wondering if it's had another sump at some point during its near 20 year life? Perhaps all M52's had this plug, but never used? I'd be interested to find out.

Cheers
Pete
KF
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I wondered where the oil level plug was cheers , as I'm replacing the front wish bones this week I will have a look as mine comes on for a few seconds after I start the engine then goes out
peterz3