FREE: 1998 1.9 Engine and/or bones of car

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

FREE: 1998 1.9 Engine and/or bones of car

Post by mrscalex »

I have to start planning what to do with the remains of my 1998 1.9 breaker. From a financial point of view I'm happy to let the engine & box go with the bones of the car for recycling as that way there should be just enough metal left to avoid paying for removal. But it does seem a bit of a waste, the engine has done 150k but pulled liked a train when I drove the car home.

Is anyone interested in the engine for free? You would need to come and remove it yourself. I'd like to keep most of the ancillaries and would also ask you to whip the gearbox off at the same time for me as I might as well have that as a spare. The engine can be heard running.

Alternatively the engine (less ancillaries) and box can stay in the car and you're welcome to the entire remains for free. Most other parts will have been stripped apart from the suspension/brakes so it will roll but you will need to bring a set of wheels/tyres. The front & rear wings and sills will also be on the car, they are salvageable but will need a lot of love. The roof will also stay on. But I will probably be removing the front panel too. The underside is just starting to go around the jacking points but it's by no means a rust bucket.

The car will be kept water-tight until I do the final removals (bonnet, boot and doors) when it will be taken into the garage.

I can't help with transport so realistically you will need to have access to a van/trailer for free as recovery is likely to cost £150-£250, ie more than what the thing is worth.

It isn't ready to go quite yet but if I know someone wants it, it will encourage me to get a move on stripping it.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: FREE: 1998 1.9 Engine and/or bones of car

Post by RichP »

Hi,

I think you mentioned this on my other thread.

Where are you/the car in the country?

I'm on the look out for a lower mileage engine now, but this generous offer is tempting.

Cheers.
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Swindon.

If you can afford a couple of hundred quid then get something with under 100k on it. That's generally considered 'low' or at least lower mileage for a Z3 these days. Below 80k and that's proper low mileage and you could start paying a premium. Below 60k is something of a rarity these days.

If you can't afford 200 quid then take mine. But remember what I said about getting one with everything bolted to it. And mine will have everything unbolted from it as I want it for spares.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

I was looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Series- ... Sw-kdXxpoP

it is off a 318, so could add complications, but 56k miles!

A lot of reading up to do before i get going though :rtm:
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Have you used realoem before? It's an online diagram/parts database for BMWs.

You can use that to check on all the significant components to see if they are also used on a Z3. Sump, oil pickup, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, alternator etc.

Here's an example for my M54 2.2 that shows the inlet manifold is the same on 3 Series, 5 Series, Z4 and X3:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id ... 1617525752

And another example that shows the sump is unique to the Z3:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id ... 1131437001
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

mrscalex wrote:Have you used realoem before? It's an online diagram/parts database for BMWs.
It also shows the weight of each part, so whoever was asking the weight of a 1.9 engine earlier, the answer is 101kg for an M44. See here.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
sebring

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sebring »

hi

do you still have the car? what colour is it pls?

what is the roof and rear screen like?

Kaz
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Yes I do. And it needs to be moved on fairly soon now.

It's Boston Green. The roof looks tidy enough and is useable but the screen will need replacing. Importantly it has never leaked.

If you PM me and let me know what you are really looking to take off the car I'll let you know if it will be left on there and give you an honest view of if it's worth your while taking the whole car. But if you want the roof alone as it will be a freebie, if you have your own trailer, then arguably it's worth it.
ImageImage
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Parki »

Do you have an off side tail light lens?