Removing front subframe

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Removing front subframe

Post by bowei001 »

Over the winter I would like to refurbish my front subframe and suspension. I know that the engine has to be supported to remove the subframe but where is the best place to support the ehgine from above? At the front there is what appears to be a lifting eye but it is flimsy and attached to the vanos with tiny bolts and probably wouldn't hold anything. Is there somewhere that a lifting eye can attach and is it possible to support the engine with a support beam across the body or does it have to be an engine hoist? A hoist would make removing the frame difficult if it went in from the front because of the hoist legs but from the side might be a bit better.
If anyone has done this their suggestions would be appreciated.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Removing front subframe

Post by Del »

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Good thread - thanks. I might be about to take a front subframe out myself.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Very good thread, interesting about changing the wishbone balljoints. Last year my 2.8 failed it's ITV (MOT) on a balljoint.
I replaced both wishbones complete, including lollypop bushes, £82 on fleabay inc p+p to Spain, bargain!!
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Thats a link to my old thread!

Don't bother with E30 ball joints the ones I fitted didn't last long and I ended up buying a new wishbone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

Thanks for the link, Del. I'm thinking that it will be an engine hoist and a balancing beam job as although an engine support beam would be easier, there isn't really a bodywork wing channel to support a beam as there is on a saloon car. From pictures on the internet, it seems the rather flimsy front lifting eye IS used in conjunction with an eye at the back of the engine to lift out a whole engine & gearbox so they should be OK just to take the weight of the engine. If anyone has used a support beam, I would be interested to know the make and where they put it on the car.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I've not heard the lifting eye called flimsy before! As long as you're sure what your looking at is the lifting eye then that's what it's there for and I've never heard anyone have issues with it.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)