Steering wheel removal on Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
BeemerBoyo

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Steering wheel removal on Z3

Post by BeemerBoyo »

As my beloved Zed is now on his winter holidays I have decided to get my steeringwheel refurbished by Royal Steering Wheels.

I am a bit nervous about removing the wheel and cant seem to find a good step by step guide anywhere.

Its a 2002 sport facelift and recently had the slip rings replaced by my local independent service guys.

Can anybody point me in theright direction?

Bowler has sent me a link (fogot to thank him) but its not the best.

Seems some wheels have springs and some have trx screws to hold the airbag in.

Appreciate any help.
2002 E37 BMW Z3 2.2 Sport
2008 E93 BMW 3 series 325i m sport convertible

Previous BMW cars

2007 E87 BMW 1 series 120D
2013 F21 BMW 1 series 120D
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Steering wheel removal on Z3

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Here's an example

viewtopic.php?p=224854#224854

It's really not very difficult at all. 20 mins to remove it tops
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

which wheel do you have?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BeemerBoyo

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BeemerBoyo »

Thanks for this info thats extremely comprehensive.

I have the 3 spoke M wheel just like a 3.2 M model this is standard fit, very shiny and hard with 94,000 miles of use.

I should be able to remove this with this information.

Cheers guys.

Previous BMW cars

handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

have a look at my thread on beige wheel.. i try and find you a linky, but basically you need torx bits i think t27 and t20, and a 18mm to remove the wheel. disconnect the vehicle battery too so as not to trigger air bag light...

Al..
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I think you disconnect the battery for safety (poss triggering the airbag, not the light). I have removed the wheel on mine on numerous occasions and the light always came on when the battery was reconnected. Extinguished with an 18 quid resetting tool from flea-bay!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Rafolian wrote:I think you disconnect the battery for safety (poss triggering the airbag, not the light). I have removed the wheel on mine on numerous occasions and the light always came on when the battery was reconnected. Extinguished with an 18 quid resetting tool from flea-bay!
If you connect it all up properly before reconnecting the battery - or even before turning the key - then the airbag light shouldn't come on. The battery disconnection as you say is a nod to safety and the worry that the airbag could be triggered, however Ive done it a number of times and forgot to disconnect the battery first and my head is still on my shoulders :D

As Rafolian says - if the airbag light does come on theres no need to worry - theres plenty of forum members with reset tools or they are cheap enough from fleabag.

Get the wheel down to Jack - Ive had all my wheels recovered, not just the Z3 ones and the difference is amazing.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BeemerBoyo

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BeemerBoyo »

Went to the classic car show on Sunday at the NEC. Treated myself to a Bentley Publishing Z3 workshop guide. It was not a bargain, they wanted £95 for it and I haggled down to £80 cash. Cheapest I could see on line at the time was £76 plus shipping so I bought it. It has a very extensive section on removing, disassembling and replacing the steering wheel so I will use this as a guide.

The Bentley manual was in its original wrapper and brand new.

Incidentaly saw a fully loaded Z3 3.0 ltr for sale with just 24k miles on clock in titan silver with red black leather for £14,995!!!!

Nice car but it did not sell. There was also a very clean 1.9 facelift low miles for £6k in hell red so I wonder if values are creeping up?

Previous BMW cars

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

creeping up to a point where they dont sell....

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

BeemerBoyo wrote:Went to the classic car show on Sunday at the NEC. Treated myself to a Bentley Publishing Z3 workshop guide. It was not a bargain, they wanted £95 for it and I haggled down to £80 cash. Cheapest I could see on line at the time was £76 plus shipping so I bought it. It has a very extensive section on removing, disassembling and replacing the steering wheel so I will use this as a guide.

The Bentley manual was in its original wrapper and brand new.

Incidentaly saw a fully loaded Z3 3.0 ltr for sale with just 24k miles on clock in titan silver with red black leather for £14,995!!!!

Nice car but it did not sell. There was also a very clean 1.9 facelift low miles for £6k in hell red so I wonder if values are creeping up?
I have this in PDF format if anyone needs it ;)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk