EEP2 error, speedo over read & ECU warning light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

EEP2 error, speedo over read & ECU warning light

Post by usernothername »

Hi all, newbie here, great to be a part of the community - I just became the proud owner of a 2001 Z3 2.2i sport :)

All seems in order mechanically and aesthetically, however it shows EEP2 error and the instruments don't work when it is stone cold. If turned off and on again after a couple of minutes warm-up it is fine. I've read a few other forums for 3-series with the same error but not one definitive answer for a fix. Would be great if someone out there has had and fixed this issue?

I was thinking of try to replace the instrument cluster. However I notice the speedo currently over-reads at speed by about 10mph so maybe a previous owner has changed this out before? Perhaps a cluster from a different model would have the speedo calibrated differently? Unless this is a common problem?

Second to that, and possibly completely unrelated, after 100 or so miles the engine management light came on and after another 100 miles or so it has stayed on. It is still driving perfectly fine.

So that could be a coincidence, it's done 103,000 miles and the last guy didn't drive it much so maybe it's just a lambda sensor or something. That puts me in to the complicated world of diagnostics though, I'm trying to find a relatively simply way of getting some diagnostics via the ODB port in the cabin rather than using the 20-pin in the bonnet + laptop with serial port etc etc. Just ordered a C110 so maybe that will work... opinions welcome!

Thanks
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: EEP2 error, speedo over read & ECU warning light

Post by therealdb1 »

Welcome to the fold!
I can't remember what causes the instrument problem but someone else on here will and shall be along shortly I'm sure.
As for the engine management light it could be any number of causes particularly on a car which has not been driven much and the ambient conditions are now cold and damp. You are doing the right thing by looking for fault codes. While these cars are relatively simple to work on as a DIY proposition they are still quite complex electronically and randomly changing bits here and there will cost you a fortune and not necessarily fix the fault.
Once you have some codes post them on here and many people will help you interpret them.
The OBD II connector under the steering wheel will only allow you to read engine codes. For anything else like ABS for example you will need an adaptor lead and connect to the Pacman socket under the bonnet. If you are prepared to throw a laptop at your diagnostics kit then INPA is a worthwhile investment. It is BMW specific so no generic code guesswork necessary and it will do a lot more than read codes. You can view the sensor outputs in real time, set adaptations, reset the dreaded airbag light and much more. The software and lead costs less than a single trip to a garage for a code reading session.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

EEP2 error usually is causing by "cold soldering". Electrical contacts start to disconnect depending on the temperature. You can try to resolder your instruments cluster, or better - replace it. I think cluster from different model might cause incorrect speedo reading, but not sure about that. Probably different diff ratio or speed sensor in diff might cause that too.

I agree that 20pin cable to laptop is the best investment and usually the cheapest one (just order cables from China), probably not easy to set it up, but once it's done, possibilities are endless, you can even tune your ECU. All plug'n'play code readers are very limited.

I wouldn't recommend you to drive it with CEL light on until you know what's causing it, I think there is a chance to damage your engine.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

You should be good to go with the code reader you have ordered by plugging into the 16pin socket under the steering wheel, but bear in mind this socket only reads some of the engine module, nothing else. If you do go for the BMW INPA diagnostics then that would need to be plugged in to the Round 20pin socket under the bonnet.
I suggested some diagnostics over on the Bimmer forum where you posted.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f14 ... t-t454601/

A lot of us have a presence on a few of the Z forums so we bump into each other quite a lot.

When you know what codes the car has set get back to us for further advice regarding the Engine Check Light.

As for the instrument console it seems the others have answered that with a diagnosis of dry solder joints.
It is always worth mentioning that behind the binnacle there is a sharp metal support to the right where the cable loom passes close by and can possibly cause chaffing of the wires which results in instrument errors or failures. Two screws on the underside of the binnicle releases it and allows it to be pulled up and back to reveal the wiring connections. Disconnect the wires and it will lift out behind the steering wheel for bench inspection.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks all - much appreciated. Hopefully the C110 will arrive tomorrow and shed some light on it. In the meantime I will start the hunt for an old laptop on ebay. I'll focus on that first and ignore the cluster for now, with some warmer weather it might even wait until next winter. Maybe I'll have a look at that loom at some point, but the error does seem to be very consistently related to temperature. I'll also keep an eye out for a replacement cluster - I read somewhere that the mileage etc is fed from the ECU so it is a pretty straight forward switch out... we'll see
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Inpa likes running in Windows XP, bear that in mind when you look for a laptop.

Replacing the whole unit is not plug and play some models store the cars mileage in the ecu and the cluster, fitting another unit may result in the car displaying the higher mileage of the two units and placing a dot in the display to indicate a tamper due to the mismatch of mileage.

Found this for you to ponder on
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=726397
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Welcome to the forum usernothername,

The engine management light as far as I know only indicates that a fault code has been stored in memory but I'm no expert........there are others on this forum who are well into the engine management/diagnostic side of BMW....they practice the dark art. :devil:
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

BTW I now run INPA on a MacBook Pro with Windows 7 in Bootcamp.
It is perfectly happy with that.
I haven't tried it on my Windows 10 machine yet as there is no need to.
So XP or 7 should be ok. Vista was a bit of a dubious OS so I would avoid that if possible unless it comes with a good laptop and you can install XP or Windows 7 on it.
See what you can lay your hands on. It does not need to be particularly high spec. especially if it is dedicated to diagnostics duties.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks - will look for an XP machine with a serial port. Really hope I get something useful out of the C110 tomorrow and if it just a stored fault code rather than ongoing issue I can relax a bit and go back to enjoying my new Zed honeymoon.

Thanks for the link colb, very useful. Sounds like I might be best of investigating and possibly repairing my existing cluster. Then replacing it when I accidently fry it. Also I found this thread and one user, motco, has the same Zed as me and also reports the exact same cluster problem plus a speedo over-reading.
http://zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... er#p402109
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I'm running on MacBook Pro too. Using winXP virtual machine. No serial port needed, just use USB.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

If you get the BM Cable Inpa Interface it is fitted with a USB cable so a serial port is not required.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Is that (using USB) assuming that my Zed is fully OBDII? Consensus seemed to be on bimmerforum that older BMW (shift was around the year of my car build so difficult to know where mine falls) were not really OBDII and used ADS so the only reliable way was with a serial port - something about a hardwired COM1 address.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Your 2001 should work ok with the usb connection, yours has both round 20 pin and 16 OBD2 sockets as mine does. Change was around 1998/99, mine was a December 99 build and registered in 2000. Don't forget the 16pin OBD socket will only read the engine module, all others such as airbag and service lights need to be done using the 20 pin round socket.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

USB works fine with both of my 1997 z3 (using 20pin>obd2 connector), so you don't have to worry about that, probably bimmerforums had some outdated info. USB ports can emulate COM protocols these days.

One my car (euro) has only 20 pin port, other (usa) has both - 20 pin and OBD2 port.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I had EEP_1 and eventually sorted it with a replacement coding plug. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44266 Here's the thread.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

deni2s wrote:probably bimmerforums had some outdated info.
Thanks good point - it was an old thread.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

motco wrote:I had EEP_1 and eventually sorted it with a replacement coding plug. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44266 Here's the thread.
Crikey you had a shocker. I hope I don't find the dreaded tamper dot is on mine when I get home tonight, I didn't notice it but I wasn't looking for it. If it there I'll assume the previous owner has messed about trying to fix it and failed. Cue despair. If not, hopefully mine is also some sort of coding plug error (even though I have EEP2 error not EEP1) and I can fix that without switching clusters and getting the dot etc. Also hoping I don't have to get the soldering iron out, been a long time since GCSE electronics :?
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I'm using my original cluster with a replacement coding plug (second hand) and I have the dot. If you keep MoT records then a buyer wouldn't have reason to doubt your figures surely?
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Right here we go - plugged in the C110 just now and got these error codes under the engine section (key on but with engine off) written out here exactly as presented on the screen:

screen 1/3
12 Signal, camshaft sensor, exhaust
BF Insufficient heat output, oxygen sensor behind catalytic convertor, bank 2
D8 Oxygen sensor behind cat., bank 2, no signal

screen 2/3
27 Plausibility, signal, brake light switch / brake-light test switch
E4 Fuel trim bank 2, permissible range exceeded
E3 Fuel trim bank 1, permissible range exceeded

screen 3/3
80 EWS transmission/parity

Will start researching what all this means now...
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Initial thinking - oxygen sensor gone, causing fuel trim errors - replace oxygen sensor?
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

It's not quite that simple because although you have plenty of codes there you do not know how old they are or how frequently they crop up.
Now you have noted all the codes I would reset them and drive the car for a short while and then check again.
If a lambda sensor code comes up again there is a fair chance there is something wrong in that area. It may not necessarily be the sensor itself as you have an indication that the heating circuit has a fault and then also a code that says no signal. My first thought with this combination is either the connector to the sensor is not making good contact or the wire is broken. Usually these sensors fade away they don't stop sending a signal altogether unless there is some physical damage.
The fuel trim faults are almost certainly related to the lambda problem.
The other codes, even the cam sensor could be bad luck that happened once several years ago and they have not been cleared.
I had the cam sensor code on my car but a new sensor made no difference. A new MAF solved the problem but the cam sensor code was triggered by an incorrect mixture not allowing the engine to run smoothly.
Get to the source of the EML light problem first and then address anything else that gets repeated.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Sound advice therealdb1, thanks. I'll clear the codes and take her for a spin. Fingers crossed at least the cam sensor code (or maybe even more of them) don't come back. Also thinking that if the lamba ones come back there is no harm in me changing out the sensors anyway given that I probably still have the originals in and I'm on 103k miles now - some folks suggest changing them at or before 100 anyway. But in doing so I'd have a look at the cables and connector etc, good point it might be that not the sensor itself. Also will try running the diagnostic tool with the engine on to see what comes up on the live data.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

usernothername wrote:Right here we go - plugged in the C110 just now and got these error codes under the engine section (key on but with engine off) written out here exactly as presented on the screen:

screen 1/3
12 Signal, camshaft sensor, exhaust
BF Insufficient heat output, oxygen sensor behind catalytic convertor, bank 2
D8 Oxygen sensor behind cat., bank 2, no signal

screen 2/3
27 Plausibility, signal, brake light switch / brake-light test switch
E4 Fuel trim bank 2, permissible range exceeded
E3 Fuel trim bank 1, permissible range exceeded

screen 3/3
80 EWS transmission/parity

Will start researching what all this means now...
1) I don't think o2 sensors behind cats can throw CEL, as it's safe to drive without them at all (some z3 don't have them at all) and they will not throw fuel trim errors. It's the o2 sensors before cats who make all the main work, but no errors for them here.
2) "12 Signal, camshaft sensor, exhaust" - this might be the main reason, you need to replace exhaust cam position sensor and this can throw fuel trim errors on both banks.

Also you have fuel trim errors on both banks, while o2 sensor error is just for bank 2. So my bet is on cam position sensor, don't worry about that o2 sensor behind the cats, it's meant just to measure cats efficiency. You can sort it out later after.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Good call, thanks deni2s.

Latest episode: cleared the fault code, went for a drive and it didn't come back on - hurrah. Just when I was starting to feel good then the traction control warning light came on AND the brake fault light! Crap. Tried pressing the DSC button, nothing happened and the light stayed on.

Ran diags again - engine faults now reduced to insufficient heat on rear oxygen sensor bank 2 and 12 Signal, camshaft sensor, exhaust. So perhaps Deni2s you are right that it is the camshaft sensor causing the issue.

However obviously the traction control and brake light are far more concerning now. The errors on the ABS section of the diags are:
SE43 Steering angle sensor internal
5E21 Pressure sensor 2
5DF4 System voltage <9 volts
5E24 Pressure sensors
5E20 Pressure sensor 1

It did actually show all these errors before I just didn't mention them as I didn't consider them relevant to the engine light. It can't establish a communication to the transmission control but maybe that is normal on a manual box.

I guess I should do the same again, clear these codes and drive until the lights come back :head:
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

On my fly-by-wire 2.2 I had a Southend on Sea's worth of dash lights occasioned by a sticky throttle body. The computer is a brainless thing and can easily be fooled by incorrect inputs from a range of sensors. Sadly a diagnostic scan tells you little and misleads you a lot.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Did you checked your battery? "5DF4 System voltage <9 volts" makes me think, that your battery is low or dead. And low battery is not helping sensors to send right signals, so other errors might be consequences of low battery.

Or might be something like this:
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f9/ ... s-t341793/

Dirty abs sensors behind the wheels seems to be common problem on z3.

I'm not a mechanic, but I wouldn't risk driving much with not working camshaft sensor... I think you risk to damage your engine and that's not cheap.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Having read the thread it looks as if you have a faulty camshaft sensor and a post cat lambda that is "dead" and giving no signal. Your CEL is likely to stay on, until fixed

With regard to the other faults, I agree with checking the battery. On "modern" cars, when a battery is failing the ECU "rations" remaining battery power to preserve basic starting and running functions. I have seen instances where things like central locking, alarm systems and ABS/DSC systems shut down and thus register a "fault code". :)
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks yeah I think the battery is a good shout. With so many varied warning lights but engine running totally fine it seems odd. Would be really nice if this solved all the problems. Worst scenario even if not a fix, at least it's one thing done that I don't have to worry about for another 5 years. I think if the camshaft sensor was totally shot it wouldn't be running right, maybe it is on it's way out so would be a good proactive replacement.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The camshaft "timing" sensors are important and can cause problems with running and MOT emissions. They fail with age, heat and vibration. Yours may be "fading out" or the ECU is using some factory default approximation measurement.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks. Anyone changed one of these before? Looks pretty straight forward according to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf4OnYuBS44
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/di ... sensor.htm
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Excellent - thanks aceman
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Sigh. Latest installment. Anyone else losing the will to live?

Checked battery - looks pretty new, Yuasa 5000 with the health indicator thingy which shows green - 'ok', and voltage across it was around 12.2 after I hadn't driven it for a couple of days. So I decided not to change the battery yet. Only one thing was for some reason it is not bolted down, but the connections seemed secure.

Given the camshaft error came back once, and it is a cheap sensor & easy DIY job I went to buy that. First I unplugged the existing one and plugged it back in again just to check I could. Drove 30 mins to pick up the new sensor & back again - no faults have returned. The camshaft error isn't coming back ... yet and the ECL light stays off. So maybe it was just a loose connector and no need to change it. I have 28 days to return it to Europarts so I'm going to hold off fitting it for now.

I still get the insufficient heat error on one of the rear lambda sensors but I'll just deal with that come MOT if it throws the emissions out.

Weirdly the ABS error codes cannot be cleared but the light went off. Those error codes are still there no matter how many times I try and reset them, but the warning light has not come back.. yet.

I also still have the EEP2 error when cold and the speedo over-read but I'm treating that at the moment as being unrelated and something to do with the cluster or coding plug. Of course could all be related though.

So I am totally flummoxed. Throughout all of this the car is driving totally fine. Idles smooth (although quite low? 6-700), picks up fine, never stalls, no power loss, no obvious flat spots. Brakes seem fine although a little spongy, probably could do with fresh fluid and a bleed at some point.

Next steps? Wait for the codes to come back and keep driving as normal in the meantime? Maybe also try and clean the ABS sensors. Plus get proper INPA software and see if that tells me anything more. Speaking of which does anyone have a link to the BMW INPA software they can PM to me? Thanks
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I assume you're still getting the 'System voltage <9 volts'? If so, I think I'd be checking for a voltage drop to the braking system - could be a bad connection somewhere.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Hi, yeah I still get the same codes, but also I can't seem to erase them and they appear in the exact same order which makes me suspicious - reckon it could be that my crappy C110 just isn't resetting them

SE43 Steering angle sensor internal
5E21 Pressure sensor 2
5DF4 System voltage <9 volts
5E24 Pressure sensors
5E20 Pressure sensor 1

I gave up and washed the car instead so at least I can admire her as an expensive ornament. Nearside front wheel was notably greasy compared to the others, will have a closer look at this in the daylight and try and see if there looks to be any brake fluid on the caliper.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Speedo over-reading was a feature of mine too, while the duff coding plug was in place. Sorry, I cannot assist with the other problems. :(
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Have a look at the list of members with full diagnostics to see if anyone is near you. You may get a better insight into your problems with INPA.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Pressure sensors are related to DSC as well as steering angle sensor error. And I think your C110 is resetting them, just they appear again.

You definitely need to check brake fluid level, clean speed sensors for ABS and clean DSC connections. And check this thread, maybe will find some usefull ideas (I'm just brainstorming here): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... r-internal

P.S. And if brakes feel spongy without reason you might want to replace oem rubber brake lines to stainless steel armed ones.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks Deni2s, Sat morning earmarked for some serious brake system inspection and sensor / connector cleaning.
BladeRunner919 wrote:Have a look at the list of members with full diagnostics to see if anyone is near you. You may get a better insight into your problems with INPA.
- thanks will try and find someone, bit of a lack of folks on the thread with a setup in London it seems, trying to get my own INPA running
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Where in London are you?
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

East - near Bethnal Green
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Did you got everything sorted? Would like to hear the outcome of all this.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Hi - latest is

Engine management light
Has stayed off since I reset it and I've done a fair few miles since. However the camshaft and fuel trim errors have come back on the reader, so maybe the camshaft sensor is on it's way out and since I already bought a replacement and it's an easy switch out I might just change that anyway. The insufficient heat on post-cat lambda sensor still comes up on the error codes but as someone else commented I don't think this would throw-up the ECU light and if emissions are OK I'll ignore for a while.

DSC / brake light
Came back on recently after being in traffic for an hour or two, then was off next time I started it from cold. Also my brake fluid level is OK and what I thought might be a brake leak at the wheel turns out to be a bust shocker (as you've seen on my other post). I've started taking out the wheel speed sensors and cleaning, done two so far - one front one back.
My plan now is since other people have said all sorts of things like tyre pressure and wheel alignment can give DSC errors, perhaps the bust shocker is the source of the error. So I'm planning to replace the shocks, get alignment checked, finish cleaning the other speed sensors, brake fluid replaced and bled, then see if the error persists. If so last would be replacing the brake pressure sensors - I don't want to jump straight to this but given the error seems to come and go with a hot engine and older 3-series report sensor failures due to the units being too close to the engine it might turn out to be these in the end.

EEP2 dash error when cold I'm ignoring for now on the basis it is unrelated.

I'm also in the process of installing proper INPA diagnostics to get a better feel for what is going on error code-wise...
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

usernothername wrote:other people have said all sorts of things like tyre pressure and wheel alignment can give DSC errors
I don't buy it, unless I will see some proof of this.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

deni2s wrote:
usernothername wrote:other people have said all sorts of things like tyre pressure and wheel alignment can give DSC errors
Im with you, Ive never heard of this happening, more likely to be a fail(ing) wheel sensor or the module itself might need refurbishing. Better to start with the replacement sensor
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

bertiejaffa wrote:
deni2s wrote:
Im with you, Ive never heard of this happening,

Unfortunately, Internet experts, and "old mans tales" are a plenty...

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Yeah I agree it seems a bit far fetched and more likely a coincidence and intermittent fault than the problem actually being solved. But on the flip side these are all things that should be done anyway so no harm in doing them first. I really don't want to have to get the DSC module refurbished as that sounds expensive. Hopefully if the brake fluid & bleed doesnt fix it (which it probably won't) replacing the brake pressure sensors will.

On one of the other points - engine light - I replaced the camshaft sensor but then yesterday the damn light came back on again. Only error code is fuel trim bank 1. So I'm going to try and get a live read to try and figure out if it is rich or lean then either look for air leaks or just replace the MAF. Maybe rich as my MPG I reckon is below 30 and I haven't been driving all that fast. Seems like the MAF isn't going to last forever so another inevitable replacement at some point.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

If you are getting fuel trim error on same one bank only, I'm not sure that's maf problem (but still might be).
Try to switch fuel injectors between banks and see if you will get fuel trim on another bank. Maybe switching pre-cat lambdas can also help diagnose the problem.
Also I would recommend to check engine roughness on INPA before and after switching injectors. Maybe some cylinder will show itself here.
Check exhaust manifold for cracks and air leaks from engine to pre-cat lambdas.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Update: engine light solved (I think), DSC / brake light not yet.

Engine light was I suspect caused by this common problem which I have now replaced.

usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Intermittent DSC light error still evading me. I have INPA up and running now but don't think it is telling me anything more useful than the C110. I get these errors: