Antenna removal

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Antenna removal

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi
Need to remove my nearside rear wing ( dealing with some rust on the mounting plate ) have undone the mounting bracket behind the carpet in the boot do I just pull the antenna out or is there another fixing have tried unscrewing the antenna from the grommet pulling is bending the wing

Thanks for your help
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Antenna removal

Post by colb »

The unit just passes through the wing grommet so with the bracket undone it should pull down through the grommet, maybe some one applied glue to seal it?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=65_0284

Try turning the unit whilst pulling downwards to break any seal that may be holding it.

Be careful disconnecting the wires there is a live feed that can easily short out on the body, best disconnect the battery.

When putting it back using a new grommet I found a long screw with the same thread as the mast and used it to screw into the unit and pull the unit up through the grommet.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Antenna removal

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi
Thanks for your help have pulled and turned can rotate the grommet around the antenna still can not get the thing out I am going to order a new grommet then cut the old one away hopefully this will release the unit.
Has for disconnecting the battery learnt the hard way working on a 1950s MG carbs shorted my metal watch strap across the starter solenoid ( mounted on the bulkhead behind the carbs) spark set fire to the spilt petrol thankfully only burnt the fuel off that had spilt on the bulkhead so now the first thing I do is disconnect the battery